Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have played WHF for 2 years and now im getting a bit bored with it so i want to start a 40k army, well i had a look at the GW site on 40k and decided space marines are the best ones for me
now my questing which is ''better'' Blood ravens or Black templars?
and what units do i need to start playing?

thnx in advance

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm well i have a bretonnia army and a beastmen army so big difference but mostly i think i play on save and w8 for my enemy and then trap him, so start passive then when enemy is near i go aggressive and kill them worked nicely in WHF but dunno about 40k

or if you mean how i do combat, tactical very considering all enemy possible attacks and plan defenses/counterattacks

to be short a bit of a counter attacker i guess

·
Registered
364 Posts
While IF you are plan to take hits while you what you probably don't want to play Black Templars because when the take casulites( srry about spelling) they charge to the enemy I think that is right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uhm what i can make of wha you said is
1: i have to play Black templars cuz they get pissed when taking hits
2: i dont want to play Black templar cuz the y get pissed when taking hits
3: im getting confused

·
Registered
92 Posts
LOL. What Ares meant to say was that when BT's take casualties they charge into combat, so you DON'T want to use them as your army, according to him.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah k they are a bit like the O&G of fantasy no tactics just get there and kill them or be killed
not my thing
k so blood ravens then is it a big problem they can only have 1 tank in the army?
since i have seen armies that may have more but just take 1 or 2

·
Registered
364 Posts
srry if I confused you what gamesondemand said was what I meant.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Considering that you want to sit back and wait for your enemy, having the ability to only take one tank can be hurtful, but shouldn't hinder you too much. My suggestion is take a whirlwind as your only tank choice (this is the SM artillery). I'm not too sure on the Ravenwing rules, so I would wait for some of the guys who play them to come in and comment. Otherwise, just take tons of troop choices, probably with heavy bolters, considering sit back and shoot tactics, or perhaps missile launchers if you know you are going to face a tank heavy army. If you can take scouts do so, with all sniper squads, which can be a pain in your opponent's ass. Otherwise, welcome and enjoy!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bloodravens can take land raider, predator destructor, whirlwind or a vindicator (flesh over steel rule) they can give some units infiltrate, the counterattack and true grit (trust your battel brothers, see but dont be seen rules)
thats why i want to be lazy :beer: and set up traps for them :ninja:

·
Registered
92 Posts
If they have trust your battle brothers, then my suggestion is to load up on as many assault squads as you can. This would allow you to have up to six 10 man squads + a chappie or two. This could work out very well if you wanted and assaulty army, but you said you wanted to sit back and wait. Perhaps these army choices aren't for you. If you want to sit back and shoot consider the Imperial Fists, or some other such army.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
k lets get this in a list
Blood ravens: thats a no apparently
Black templar: also nope
Imperial Fist: bah hate imperialist whimps
White scars: compareable with IF
Salamanders: not my style
Raven guard: comparable with BR
Crimson fist: also compareable with BR
Space wolves: ?
Ultramarines: ?
Iron hands: ?
uhm cant find the special thingies for the last 3 in my book does it mean i gotto choice one of wise, fierce, sombre, etc things?? or is it stated somewhere else?

WHY the hell is 40k so complicated, learned WHF in 3 days been thinking for a week now and still dont get the sh*t :(

·
Registered
92 Posts
UMs have no traits, as they are the ultimate codex chapter. They do have special rules and units like the Nid war heros, but no traits. Space Wolves have their own dex, along with Iron Hands. The new dex just came out for IH along with new models for them. UM would be your best choice if you are not looking for any traits. Otherwise, there is a whole selection to choose from as well as making your own army.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i knew you could make your own chapter but thought it was to difficult
do the chapters have sub-chapter like?
and is there a link to how you can make your own chapter?
would be nice to convert some to be nid hunters :w00t:
and i do want traits they seem very handy, but if i want my own chapter can i give them those traits aswell with drawbacks and advantages?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Personally, I would go with Black Templars. If you hate painting then you should really go with Black templars, assemble model w/o the shoulder pads and prime it all black, and prime the shoulder pads white, and paint the little border on the edge black and tada.

·
Registered
92 Posts
How to make your own chapter is in the SM codex. That and the BGB (the general rulebook) are what you should buy first before getting any models. In the dex, go to where it tells you about traits and in that section it tells you how you can pick your traits and which can and cannot be paired. Each chapter has companies, 10 in all. Usually, most players don't really go into which company their squads are from, but you can do this. The company organization is somewhere near the end of the SM dex. Usually 1st company is mainly vets and termies. 10th company is usually the all scout company, with vet sarges to teach the scouts. The companies in between are generally the balanced companies, with a little of everything in them. There is one company, 7th IIRC, that is mainly heavy support.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Blood Ravvens

Blood ravens r sooo cool purely because they r original and have a cool colour scheme. black templars are idiots and are soo boring they r too comercial and are getting to be a kind of nooby army.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts