Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Warriors
Im thinking that poisons for warriors is an an obvious positive for any CC design.

Against MEQs we are rerolling to wound which on 4s basically means a 50% improvement in their killing ability and only getting better against tougher opponants. As the upgrade affects all attacks and is not a special weapon, it will also them to smack wraithlords with boneswords for Ld checking goodness.

Tervigon
The Tervigon I think is another case where it is another positive bonus for very cheap. Small for the Tervigon itself, but its affect on neighbouring termagaunts makes it a cheap bonus. It too allows the Tervigon to mess with high T creatures and impart wounds more reliably. One of the cheapest bang for buck upgrades I can think of.

Gargoyles
Blinding poison and their movement makes gargoyles a great skirmisher, and unlike troops they are less "important". I dont plan to use them in CC, but with poison I can see gargoyles being a great offensive unit in larger games. For ~150 points we can field 20 poison gargoyles who can reliably hurt opponants in CC, and their speed should allow them to get to CC with the charge. Its not as great a bang for our buck IMO, but still worth it.

Now, Im thinking those cases where the obvious ones where we should use it. But Im open to advice, why would we not take poison for the above units?

Genestealers
Not really worth it compared to the point cost of the stealer.

Hormagaunt
No. Id rather give them glands. They too could use poison to deal with demon princes and avatars.. but I for one probably have other methods available, and the point cost as an upgrade is too large IMO.

Ranged weapons
Common sense tells me poison does not apply to ranged weapons.
Poison is in the assault (pg 33) part of the main rule book (pg 42).
In the "Weapons" part of the book (pg 27) it mentions ranged weapons can have "Additional characteristics" and on page 29 it lists them. - That list of additional characteristics, is it the definitive list or can other characteristics be applicable to weapons?

In the "codex" available to us and in the old codex it says rending claws give rending in CC, but no mention is given about restrictions for poison. This might be an oversight or error on the compiler, but Im hoping it isnt and that we can apply poison to ranged weapons. Is there any rule support for or against poison being applicable to ranged weapons?
Gut feelings are nice, but they arent RAW.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
We'll have to hold that until we get the real thing in our hands, but I'll just say what my gut tells me: poison is for CC.
As far as warriors go, I see your point. However, I don't think they need poison. But I like my warriors shooty (Deathspitters), and with an Alpha Warrior with them. The Alpha I'd equip with a pair of Boneswords, a Deathspitter and Adrenal Glands. S6 on the charge eans it can wound anything in the game. Even if not charging, both S5 and S6 wound T8 on a 6+. With 5-4 attacks, it's not too difficult to get a six, forcing even a Wraithlord to test Leadership on a 3D6, which is around 50% chance of instant death, better if you somehow lower his leadership.
But now that you mention it, Poison can make Warriors much better versus high-T enemies, and doesn't really cost them too much versus more normal T4 enemies. Maybe you are right, and it's better to always give bonesword warriors poison.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
Now, Im thinking those cases where the obvious ones where we should use it. But Im open to advice, why would we not take poison for the above units?
Because it costs points, for an example a 5 man warrior unit become 25 more expensive per upgrade. Which will soon be a bit to much... My warriors will probably just have dual swords and deathspitters... That will probably do...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im thinking a CC built Warrior will be based on combating hard opponants like MEQs, not designed to fight GEQs.

Against MEQs its wounding 50% more often for only 5 points and the boneswords power (as I understand it) require the warrior to wound, not just hit. Its expensive, but warriors are already expensive and it makes the warrior a great deal better in CC.

·
650 Posts
I have read the codex last night. Poison is in fact CC only. The thing I like about a poison warrior is that the poison is a second chance to wound, but nto a different attack thus bone sswords wounds due to the poison re-roll still cause instant death!

·
Registered
131 Posts
A second chance to wounr? Poison re-roll? *confused* Maybe I just read that wrong, so for now I'll keep my mouth shut...

But me personally...I like the idea of one group of Warriors with the Prime.. The Prime could have lashwhip and Bonesword (lashwhip to reduce the I of anything in base contact with him (sitck him ou tfront lol)) and the warriors can have the duel boneswords...all with poison. I like the idea of 5- 10 EXPENSIVE warriors running around with high WS obliterating HQ's and MC (hiting on 3's or 4's, wounding on 4's ALWAYS and possibly causign instant death on a 3D6 Ld test... sounds fun to me, even if it doesn't work half the time (or less than half lol). It's all in good fun...I know I'll be doing that :D

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the strength of the warrior matches or beats the toughness of the opponent its hitting (which is the vast majority of units out there) then poison reroll applies. Page 42 of the rule book.

Against T4 they reroll, and thats 50% more wounds.
Against T5 poison applies, so they are wounding on 4s rather then 5s - again 50% more to wound rolls.
Against T3 reroll isnt so hot, only a 33% improvement.

Id rather have a flat +1Strength mutation over poison ability, but that isnt an option.

I understand the dislike of the point cost on warriors - the warriors become more expensive then an assault termie.
Frankly, I see poison as being the new codex's equivilent of feedertendrils was for 4th. ed stealers. Usefull, generally take it, but YMMV. Im glad some other people here see the advantage, but the ambivilence of so many is startling.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Poison is very useful on some units. The best is of course the Tervigon, as it improves your Termagaunts. Having S3 dudes wound T8 on a 4+ is invaluable. On Warriors, I'd pick Rending over poison, and two Boneswords over Rending+Poison.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I always forget the re-roll if your S = their T or better lol Thanks for reminding me lol
Yeah, that happens to me a lot too. Poison is also good on bigger things like the Trygon, as it protects you against bad rolls versus normal infantry and makes you better versus other MCs. The only reason I usually prefer Adrenal Glands on the big guys is it makes them a bit better at hunting tough tanks. I have to destroy Land Raiders pretty often, and Librarians mean I can't rely too much on Zoans.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
I agree with Lemt. I have nothing against expensive units, I'm used to playing GK's so that'll be fine. But I know when enough is enough. With Deathspitters and Dual Bonesword they'll do fine against anything with toughness less then 8. For toughness 8 I'll send in a flyrant/carni/trygon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.