Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nippon (Japan) Armybook Project - V1.5

I know that this kind of thread pops up every so often, someone posting an armylist they came up with for Nippon. Too frequently, they lack originality (among the other WHFB books), are too cheesy or underpowered, lump Nippon in with Cathay, or mix up their Chinese and Japanese history. This time around, I want to do you guys one better, and present an attempt at making a full-on, 'IndyGT Chaos Dwarf' style armybook for Nippon. Hopefully (pulling at straws here) this would get the watertight reception that the CD got, but that's doubtful. At the very least, it will give us something new to ponder over in our heads.

This isn't my first self-made armybook. A while back, I created an codex/supplement for my own chapter of Space Marines with some friends, for a campaign. It was well made, although the rules were a bit crazy and needed a lot of ironing out. I hope to do the same with this- all the reams of awesome fluff, the artwork, model and hobbying pics (right down to the "clean and prime before painting" blurbs), and a good, solid set of rules with playtesting to back it up. So here it goes- shiny bits will come later, right now, here are the rules I have down so far. Comments and criticisms aren't just "welcome", they're encouraged (in a menacing IG Commissar sort of way).

Edit
This isn't the first edition of this book, not by a long shot. I have been working on this project for almost a year, developing, playtesting, and writing the armybook. It has been a monumental undertaking, to get an army that is balanced and enjoyable without being over powered. Lately, I have come close to finalizing the army list and have been busy writing fluff and assembling the armybook into something that I would be proud to put my name on. I intend to have color photos, GW-standard formatting, a front and back cover, and to not be sued by GW for infringing on their IP :)
Those of you who began following this project from day one will see that the army list has changed drastially. This was not an overnight development, I had simply stopped updating the original list as changes were made. This is the newest iteration of the rules, and you will see that a lot has changed. Samurai Battle Tactics are gone, replaced by Kei, which also forms the basis for a clan system, and the way that this army interacts in the magic phase has becoming it's defining feature.
To show you the quality that I am striving to achieve with this project, and prove to you that I have not been sitting idle, I'll give you all a little teaser image of the front cover of the book. It should also give you hints towards the tone of the fluff and the style that I hope to achieve with the army.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Nippon Army Special Rules

Kei
In battle, regiments of Samurai often work together to channel the magic that has built up into their cryptomeria armor into powerful spell-like attacks known as Kei.

Units with the Kei special rule all start by knowing the first bound spell from the Kei Powers (opposite). They gain an knowledge of an additional spell for each Sashimono worn (Hatamoto may wear three Sashimono, and therefore know all the spells on the list).

Every friendly casting phase, before rolling for the Winds of Magic, roll a D3 for any spell still in play (friend or foe) and add the results. You gain this many dice as 'Kei' dice. These dice must be allocated to units with the Kei special rule before rolling for Winds of Magic, and do not count towards the maximum of 12 Powerdice that the army may have. Each regiment may only be allocated Kei dice equal to the highest number of Sashimono on any one model in the regiment. Kei dice may only be used by the regiments that they are allocated to. Any Kei dice which cannot be allocated to a unit, or are remaining at the end of the turn, are lost.

Bushido
In Nippon, Honor is everything- especially among the upper classes. Any character or unit with the Bushido special rule, is subject to the 'Immune to Psychology' special rule. However, if the unit flees for any reason (defeated in combat etc) they are dishonored, and lose this rule for the remainder of the game.

Nipponsei Weapons
O'Dachi and Kanabo - count as Greatweapons, see pg. 90 of the Warhammer Rulebook
Naginata - count as Halberds, see pg. 90 of the Warhammer Rulebook
Aqeubus - counts as a handgun, see pg. 90 of the Warhammer Rulebook
Samurai Swords- Samurai fighting on foot may fight with both their Katana and Wakizashi. At the start of each combat, they may choose to count as be equipped with 2 hand weapons, or a handweapon and shield.
Horo - mounted models only. Grants the model a +2 to their Armor Save against attacks made in the shooting phase.
Lattices - A regiment of Arquebusiers equipped with lattices will deploy them across it’s front rank at the start of the battle. The lattice provides soft cover, and does not block movement in any way. Regiments behind a lattice count as defending an obstacle, and their weapons gain the “Quick to Fire” special rule (this will override ‘Slow to Fire’). If the regiment moves for any reason, the lattice is destroyed, remove it from the table.

Clan Mon
Daimyo, Taisho, and Bushii regiments within the Nipponsei army have the option to take a Clan Mon. A character or unit may only take a single Mon, and it’s attached Clan Power will override that model’s ‘Roar of Resolution’ power.
In order for a regiment to take a Clan Mon, a Daimyo or Taisho in the army must also have the same Clan Mon. No more than two regiments may have the same Clan Mon as a Daimyo, and only a single regiment may have the same Clan Mon as a Taisho. Note that Daimyo and Taisho may have the same Clan Mon – for example, if a Daimyo and Taisho both had the Takata Clan Mon, up to 3 regiments in the army could also have the Takata Clan Mon (2 for the Daimyo, and 1 for the Taisho).
Clan Mon should be represented on the battlefield as either a symbol on armor or sashimono, or as distinctive color. It should be clear to the opponent which units hail from different Clans – family honor demands it!

Mounts

Nipponsei Steeds
Horses are not native to the islands of Nippon. Indeed, the herds that roam the few scattered lowland plains in these times, are descendents of proud Elven chargers brought with the Elven fleets before the Cataclysm.
None revere horses or horsemanship more than the Takata, and their forefathers the Tarai. Legend holds that Monoke bought the Tarai’s misguided loyalty with horses alone, and that Takata children are born into the saddle of their grandsires’ folly.
M WS BS S T W I A LD
Steed 8 3 - 3 - - 3 1 5
Special Rules - Fast Cavalry

Jishin
Jishin are a low class of Yokai, but are not without pride. Indeed, the Jishin is thought to be the embodiment of Kojiki’s relentless warrior spirit. When a Jishin sets it’s eyes upon it’s prey, it will never stop, tire, or hesitate.
If a warrior can appeal to a Jishin’s sense of warrior duty, the Yokai can be tamed – in a sense. They will accept a rider, but as Yokai, they are immortal.
When their rider dies, the Jishin will invariably return to the North, seeking out their kin to resume their lives. There has only been one notable exception to the rule.
The Jishin Otoko, who bore the fist Hatamoto, a Bushii named Taiketsuo, would not move from the spot where his master was slain. Such is Otoko’s resolution, that when a shrine to Taiketsuo was erected, it had to be build around Otoko’s immovable form. Over time, Otoko’s story has come to eclipse Taiketsuo’s, and Bushii make pilgrimages to see Otoko. It is said that those who gaze long enough into his eyes begin to feel the sorrow of a noble warrior unable to follow his master into the afterlife.
M WS BS S T W I A LD
Jishin 8 5 - 5 4 3 4 3 8
Special Rules: forest strider, fear, magic resistance 1

Kirin
Kirin are another family of Yokai, and are nearly identical to the Unicorns of the west. While equine in appearance, the Kirin shares closer ties to a dragon or Ryujin. Their hides come in a blinding variety of color, and their manes are not hair but thick strands almost similar to seaweed. A single horn, stag-like in appearance, grows from their brow. This horn is said to be the origin of their mystical powers.
M WS BS S T W I A LD
Kirin 6 5 - 4 4 3 4 2 7
Special Rules: Fly, Impact Hits (D3), Channeling

Army special rules are where you can add a lot of flavor to a list, but going to over the top can make things complicated. I kept it down to these three main rules, two weapon 'counts as', and there will be an additional rule for Nippon casters. I know that the 'Samurai Battle Tactics' seems like a rip of IG Orders, and it is strongly based on that. However, there will be a section where characters with this rule will buy War Flags just like Gifts of Chaos or Vampiric Powers, which provide the orders, rather than every character simply "knowing" a set of them. There are smaller special rules throughout the book, but these are the main 3.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The Nippon Host: Lords and Heroes

Daimyo
Daimyo are the leaders of the many Samurai clans of Nippon. They answer only to the Shogun, and are sworn to protect and serve the Emperor. Although the position is hereditary, it is far from guaranteed that the son of Shogun will reign as the next. Bitter power struggles within the courts and upon the battlefields of Nippon mean that such prestigious posts change with an almost measurable frequency.
While such a life would leave many Western rulers as little more than paranoid tyrants, a strict adherence to Bushido hones Shoguns into unflinching leaders, and warriors of peerless skill.

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 7 5 4 4 3 7 4 9
Special Rules – Bushido, Kei, Folded Steel

Taisho
In times of war, Daimyo will appoint several Taisho to act as officers in their armies. These men are almost always related to the Daimyo through family ties, although some Daimyo have recognized men outside of their common bonds to elevate to the position. In battle, Taisho are expected to be at the forefront of the fighting, carrying the clan banners aloft and urging the men forward into the fray.

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 6 5 4 3 2 6 3 8
Special Rules – Bushido, Kei, Folded Steel
Shoguns have a 6” command range for their Samurai Battle Tactics

Uzatto Priests
Magic is viewed with suspicion in the realm of Nippon. Many Nipponsei are proficient magic users in their own right, but when the Great Kami rose the island nation from the waves, he created a barrier which kept the land safe from the maelstrom winds of magic. The Nipponsei learned that they could draw some of this magic through the barrier through willful meditation, and for a brief era, magic in the land flourished. However this great draw of magic weakened the barrier, and when it finally collapsed it brought catastrophe across the land. From that day forward, magic has been highly regulated. Only the Uzatto Priests are allowed to draw raw magic from the air around them, and even then they will not draw the vast energies alone, relying instead on the combined will of Sotei retainers.
The Sotei are young initiate monks, charged with defending their master on the battlefield, and lending their meditations to his so that he may safely draw upon greater gusts of magic. The Priest himself is not weak, for he too was a Sotei once. Many a foolish enemy has fought their way past the Sotei only to find themselves facing the formidable skills of the Priest at their center.

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Priest 4 5 3 3 3 3 4 2 9
Sotei 4 4 3 3 3 1 4 1 8
Special Rules – Vessel of Kei, Folded Steel
Vessel of Kei. At the start of any magic phase, before rolling for The Winds of Magic, the Priest may take any of the stored Kei dice from any regiment, and add them to the army’s Power or Dispel dice pool. At the end of the phase, any unused dice are lost as normal, they are not returned to the regiment.
Keep in mind that you cannot use dice from the Power Dice pool to cast Kei Powers.

Kabuzei
No man in Nippon is more hated than the Kabuzei. During the Cataclysm, in which vast amounts of magic ravaged the northern parts of Nippon, some of the surviving Samurai and Monks chose to cast their lot with the changing winds, rather than move South and rejoin civilization. While those in the South learned to craft armor and warding pendants from cryptomeria wood to defend themselves from the ravaging winds, those who stayed in the North were afforded no such amenities. What had begun as a struggle for power, now became the only fuel for survival, as the denizens of the north became transients, following the winds of the magic to draw on their sustaining energies, but always having to keep a careful distance so that they would not be torn asunder by the cruel winds. Their bodies changed, becoming more and more insubstantial, and their minds slipped ever deeper into depravity and madness.
Chief among these lost souls are the Kabuzei - horrifying remnants of great warrior monks. They dare to walk the closest to the eddying pools of magic in the land, and reap great power from it - at the cost of their bodies and sanity. They are masters of shadow and deception, and some unscrupulous Daimyo have been known to employ them briefly as assassins. This is a dangerous prospect, as a Kabuzei is as likely to turn on his employer as he is to kill the contracted target. In the Nipponsi tongue, Kabuzei means 'fear', and few things are more terrifying than a Kabuzei armed for battle. They wear priest robes of darkest black, sporting violent and brightly colored designs and borders. Their faces are painted chalky white, with colored war-stripes around their eyes and mouths. Though they are silent when stalking their prey, they leap into action with bone-chilling screams, escaping only after they have carved a gory trail through their surroundings with their two poisoned daggers.

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Kabuzei 4 5 3 3 3 3 4 2 9
Special Rules: Fear, Hatred, Poisoned Attacks, Folded Steel, Wretched, Dark Jutsus, Body of Shadows
Wretched: No Samurai would ever risk his honor by being seen openly with a Kabuzei, although this is equally due to their vicious and unpredictable temperament. Kabuzei may not join any unit with the 'Bushido' special rule, no other units may use their leadership, and they can never be the army's general.
Dark Jutsus: Kabuzei have perfected the use of the Lores of Death and Shadow into an art form. Therefore, they gain further bonuses to the Lore Attributes of those lores-
--Lore of Death, "Life Leeching": roll a D6 for any unsaved wounds caused by the Kabuzei (for example, in close combat). These wounds will generate an additional power dice on a 5+
--Lore of Shadow, "Smoke and Mirrors": After the Shadows spell is resolved, the Kabuzei may move into contact with any character (friend or foe) or join a friendly unit within 18" (must still follow the restrictions for 'Wretched' above). He does not need to trade places with a friendly character in order to do this, although he may choose to.
Body of Shadows: Over time, the bodies of the Kabuzei fade away to nothing, further augmenting their already uncanny ability to dodge death-blows and dance around their opponent's blades. Body of Shadows grants the Kabuzei a 5+ wardsave.

SPECIAL CHARACTERS, with Fluff

So there are the Lord and Hero choices. The Shogun and Daimyo have been demoted to Daimyo and Taisho so that the Shogun can be reserved as a special character. Daimyo and Uzatto Priests are both Lord choices, while the Taisho and Kabuzei are Heroes. I was struggling to think of a way to include casters in the army without breaking the fluff that I've established about the Nipponsei relying on group meditation to cast spells (much like Grey Knights). I decided that I could 'kill 2 birds with 1 stone' by including two units that people have been asking for since day 1 - Sohei and Ninja. The Uzatto Priest is a small unit of Sohei, who may join other units on the battlefield. This makes sure that players won't just hide their Priests in the back, as both the Priest and his bodyguards have fairly good fighting skills. The Kabuzei is a cross between Kabuki dancers and Ninjas, as I refuse to simply put a Ninja in the book. The idea behind the Kabuzei is to give players acess to a Shadow/Death caster, but also a character who can hunt down enemy characters reasonably well. The 'Dark Jutsus' make these characters formidable, allowing them to either fuel their own spells, or making them some of the most hated "hit and run" assassins in the game (jump from one character to another during your magic phase). I feel that this provides a suitable Ninja flavor, and a unique and interesting unit for the book.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Troops, Special, and Rare

Ashigaru
In the earliest days of Nippon’s martial history, Ashigaru served as bodyguards and footmen to the noble upper classes. Now, after the first great invasion of Chaos, the Ashigaru form the backbone of the Nippon army.
Each Daimyo will often have several hundred Ashigaru at his disposal, and when called upon by the Shogun, it falls to the Daimyo to arm and supply these men for the coming campaign. Most commonly they are armed with either spears or bows. Wealthier Daimyos might equip their ashigaru with naginatas.

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Ahsigaru 4 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 6
Gunzo 4 3 3 3 3 1 3 2 7

Samurai
Samurai are the nobles of each clan, second only to the Daimyo. In times of war, they will band together to serve their master. Their name literally means “servant”, and their duty is to their livelihood.
Peerless and almost superhuman warriors, the Samurai equip themselves with the finest weapons and armor available from the craftsmen of Nippon. Most famous are their sets of blades, the Katana and Wakizashi- each capable of slicing a fully armored knight in half without so much as nicking the razor-sharp edge. Samurai devote their lives to practicing with these weapons, and the blades are passed down from father to son through generations.

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Samurai 4 4 4 4 3 1 4 2 7
Kyunin 4 4 4 4 3 1 4 3 8
Special Rules – Bushido, Folded Steel
Folded Steel- all close combat attacks by a Samurai gain the ‘Armor Piercing’ special rule.

Naginata Riders
The wealthiest Samurai ride to war atop the proud charges of Nippon. These beasts are not native to the island realm, but are instead imported from the vast steppe region of Cathay. Samurai who ride them are some of the most skilled horse archers outside of the steppes, and arguably the most ferocious light cavalry in the world.
These Samurai sheathe their swords in favor of the Naginata- a spearlike weapon with a blade similar to that of a katana.
The charge of a regiment of Naginata riders is terrifying, often times made even more-so by the Naginata riders’ propensity to wear elaborate masks and scream blood-chilling war cries over the thunder of their horses’ hooves.

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Samurai 4 4 4 4 3 1 4 2 7
Kyunin 4 4 4 4 3 1 4 3 8

Warhorse 8 3 - 3 - - 3 1 -
Special Rules – Bushido, Folded Steel, Fast Cavalry

Roninja
Those Samurai who remained in the North after the cataclysm suffer the same fate as the Kabuzei - their bodies and minds slowly warped and twisted by the magic on which they feed. These wretched souls are viewed with a mixture of pity and contempt by the civilized peoples of the South. The Southern Samurai know that this is the fate of all Nipposnei should the winds of magic ever blow freely across Nippon again, but they also know that the Ronin chose this life in pursuit of power, and this cursed new existence is a fitting reward for forsaking their honor and pride in duty.
In battle, Ronin often appear unexpectedly, brutally striking the enemy from behind before fading back into the shadows.
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Ronin 4 5 5 4 3 1 5 2 7
Soul Eater 4 5 5 4 3 1 5 3 8
Special Rules- Scout, Skirmish, Folded Steel, Body of Shadows
Body of Shadows - their bodies grow more insubstantial by the day, granting the Ronin a 6+ wardsave.

Arquebusiers
The arquebus is not dissimilar to the handguns of the Old World. It features a wider barrel which lobs a heavier projectile at slower speeds than the faster, lighter weapons of the Empire or the Dwarfs. It is fired by placing the smoldering end of cord into a small hole at the rear of the weapon. The Nipponsei – and especially the Odai – weaponsmiths have engineered ways to treat the barrells of the weapons so that they are far less likely to explode in the users faces. Even with the almost certainty that the weapon will not misfire, few Bushii view the arquebus favorably. Compared to the sword or bow, the arquebus requires almost no training. There is no personal connection to the weapon, a common theme within Bushido. Instead, the arquebus is loud, crude, and the stench of the sulfurous gunpowder only adds to its ugliness.
However, it cannot be denied that the weapon is powerful, and even now, Bushii are embroiled in constant wars among the Imperial Court and the Shogunate to have the weapon outlawed as dishonorable and contemptuous.

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Arquebusier 4 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 6
Gashira 4 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 6

Yokai
In the earliest days, the Old World did not suffer the predations of Chaos alone. In Nippon, the eddies of magic swirled and coalesced into great banks of fog, and warped and twisted all that it touched. Out of this unnatural fog came the Yokai Unlike the Old World’s policy of either revering or despising the creatures of Chaos, Nippon’s more compromising ways led them to treat the Yokai as supernatural creatures native to their land. In some sects the Yokai were feared or hated, in others revered, but to the common populace, they are just another fact of life. Offerings and sacrifices are made to keep the Yokai at bay, and in some rare cases, the Yokai will help Nippon in times of great need.

Among these unlikely allies, no two are more recognizable than the great and savage Onii, or the nimble and vicious Tengu. Onii are ogre-like in their appearance, but slightly shorter and more muscular than true Ogres. They are bald except for perhaps a topknot, and their skin ranges in unnatural color and patterns. The Tengu are smaller, and more agile. They have birdlike faces with long beaks, or human faces with long, thin noses. They fly and glide on the thermals in the mountains of Nippon, and prey upon unwary or unwelcome travelers.

Yokai M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Onii 5 4 2 4 5 3 2 3 7
Tengu 2 5 2 3 4 2 5 2 7
Ryujin 4 4 1 6 6 5 3 5 9
Special Rules- Daemonic, Onii are Monstrous Infantry and subject to Frenzy and Trample, Tengu are Monstrous Beasts and have Fly, Ryujin are Monsters with a 4+ Scaly Skin, S3 Breath Weapon, and Fly.
Daemonic – Yokai are Daemons, and follow all rules given for Daemons in the Daemons of Chaos armybook. As such, their attacks are magical, and they have a 5+ wardsave. Furthermore, they are subject to Daemonic Instability- they are Unbreakable, but if they lose a round of combat, they must take a leadeship test as normal. They lose wounds equal to the amount by which they failed by, with no saves of any kind allowed.

Trample - Onii are massive creatures of sinew and muscle. Any time they charge, each Onii in the front rank will deal 1 Impact Hit. The strength of this hit is increased by 1 for every Onii standing behind the first - so a unit of Onii with 2 ranks will deal S5 impact hits, a unit with 3 ranks will deal S6 hits. Furthermore, if the Onii roll a 10+ on the dice when determining Charge Distance, the number of Impact hits dealt by each model is increased to D3.

Kensai
Kensai are Samurai who have attained great fame and notoriety, and have been hand chosen by the Daimyo to act as bodyguards. While most Samurai live on small feudal estates when they are not at war, the Kensai spend their lives in the castle, in the service of their lord. Every day is spent training, honing their martial skills so that they might better defend their charges in battle. It is a great honor to be chosen to serve as a Kensai, and many Kensai are revered as folk-heroes in their home villages.

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Samurai 4 5 5 4 3 1 4 2 7
Special Rules: Bushido, Folded Steel, Kei, Bodyguards
Bodyguards: If a Daimyo or Taisho with the same Clan Mon joins the regiment, the Kensai gain +1 Combat Resolution, and each Kensai may issue and accept challenges as if he were a character.

Hatamoto
Hatamoto are the wardens of the cursed Northern realm. Each man is a hero in his own right, charged with riding down tribes of Beastmen, keeping the Roninja and Kabuzei in check, and guarding the ancient temples and shrines. They are not alone in this mission however, as Nipponsei has it's own supernatural guardians.
The Jishin are massive beasts who look like a cross between a lion and large dog. They are Yokaii of a very low order, representing the Great Kami's most basic instincts of protection. Hatamoto who have earned the trust of a Jishin can ride it into battle, the pair making a formidable duo. The Hatamoto is armored from head to toe in cryptomeria armor, including an elaborate face mask meant to terrify his foes while also shielding him from the winds of magic. Even with this protection, Hatamoto cannot stay long in the North, and twice a year they leave the blighted realm to return to the castle of the Shogun, where they serve as his personal bodyguards. Unlike the Kensai, few people know the Hatamoto, and the position is often seen as a death sentence, but there is no greater honor for a Samurai than to die for his Shogun.

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Hatamoto 4 5 5 4 3 1 5 2 8
Kyunin 4 5 5 4 3 1 5 3 8
Jishin 8 5 0 5 4 3 5 3 8
Special Rules: Bushido, Folded Steel, Kei, Forest Strider, Fear, Magic Resistance 1

Uzaabushi
Uzaabushi are the militant arm of the house of Uzatto. While it may be the Sotei's role to guard the priests on the battlefield, the duty of the Yamabushi is to hunt down and stomp out all threats to the Uzatto house. In the past this has included everything from enemy Samurai, witch-cults, all the way to warding off Yokai attacks. The Yamabushi greet this fighting with gusto, and are in general a very jovial order of warriors. They come from rustic roots, almost unanimously the descendents of refugees from the North who were taken in by the Uzatto after the Cataclysm.
In battle the Yamabushi are a sight to behold. Dressed in colorful animal pelts, face paint, and wielding the massive kanabo, they hearken back to the earliest tribal roots of the Nipponsei. They are undaunted in battle, and step forward into the fight rather than back. Every small victory is celebrated with raucus cheers and bouts of dancing. Many a Daimyo has learned that it is best to place the Yamabushi in a place which must be defended, and leave them there until the battle is won.

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Uzabushi 4 5 5 4 3 1 5 2 8
Enlightened 4 5 5 4 3 1 5 3 8
Special Rules: Unbreakable, 5+ Wardsave, Uzabushi Ferocity
Uzabushi Ferocity: The Uzabushi do not shy away from fighting. Where other warriors might see a victory as a chance to rest, the Yamabushi will press forward and follow up the attack with another that is equally devastating if not more so. For each round that they win combat, add a token to the regiment of Yamabushi. Whenever they win a round a subsequent round of combat, add the number of tokens to the Combat Resolution. If the Yamabushi lose a round of combat, or are no in close combat during their turn, any tokens are discarded.

Sotei
While the Uzabushii are considered the militant arm of the Uzatto house, the Sotei form a much smaller, more elite, and entirely more mysterious sect of warriors. When a candidate is accepted into the Uzatto priesthood, he begins training with several forms of unarmed martial arts, eventually culminating in training with the naginata. For some, this weapon training proves irresistible, and rather than continue on to the study of magic, they choose to further their mastery of martial combat. The Sotei are charged with guarding the secrets of the uzatto house, and in such matters they serve as judge, jury, and executioner. When not serving on the battlefield or hunting down rogue magic users, the Sotei are employed as messengers for the Uzatto. Although they have forsaken the path of the priesthood for a life of adventure, they still receive training in the mystical arts, to better protect and assist their Uzatto charges.

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Sotei 4 4 4 4 3 1 4 2 7
Benkai 4 4 4 4 3 1 4 3 8
Wargear: Heavy Armor, Naginata
Special Rules: Immune to Psychology, Magical Attacks, Wardsave 5+

Kei Brotherhood: After generating Powerdice, if there is an enemy Wizard within 12" of the Sotei, that Wizard rolls a number of D6 equal to his wizard level. Any result of a 4+ removes one power die from the Wizards casting pool, and gives it to the Sotei regiment. These dice may then be given to any friendly unit with the Kei special rule, within 6".
Mystic Wardens: Uzatto Priests and Acolytes who join a unit of Sotei are placed in the second rank of the unit as long as there is a complete front rank of at least 5 models. Furthermore, Priests or Acolytes who have joined a unit of Sotei gain a +1 to their casting attempts as the Sotei use their training to bolster their power.

Taiko Drums
The Nipponsei use several methods to communicate during battle - from colored fans, massive banners, to horns made of shell, the methods vary widely. None is more common or so renowned however, as the massive Taiko drum.
These drums are often larger than a man, and made from sturdy wood with drum heads of tanned hide. Their rhythmic beats can be heard for miles, and even over the din of combat. Although the Nipponsei use the taiko for performances outside of battle, in theaters and other displays, it is the role in battle for which it is most famed.
Some Daimyo maintain a 'battery' of drums, and Taiko drummers are highly sought after. The Daimyo may convey his orders to the troops, to have it beaten out upon the drum. Formations and Regiments may even be assigned their own cadence, so that the Daimyo can control individual pockets of warriors, rather than giving a generic order to the entire army.

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Taiko Drum - - - - 6 2 1 - -
Drummer 4 3 2 3 3 1 3 1 7
Onii 5 4 2 4 5 3 2 3 7
Special Rules: Herald of War
Herald of War: At the start of each friendly turn, Taiko Drums may beat out an order to the army. Each drum in the unit can affect up to D3 units within 18" of the drum. Choose one of the following orders - the entire regiment of Taiko drums must play the same order. Regiments targeted by the drums must pass a leadership test to receive the order.

Rajiingusan ‘Rising Sun’ – One Use Only
Affected units are Unbreakable, and gains +D3 Combat Resolution.

Bonsai! – One Use Only
If one regiment of Taiko drums uses this power, all drums present on the battlefield must use also use it this turn. Affected units are subject to Frenzy, may not test to restrain charges, and add D6 to their charge.

Kakuyoko ‘The Crane’s Wing’
A favorite strategy of Daimyo Takeda Shingen, units which at first seemed too far from the battle, suddenly race towards the fight.
Affected units more than 12” away from the enemy add D6” to their movement. This bonus may not be used to bring the unit into contact with an enemy unit.

Tachi Shinu ‘Die Standing’
Affected fleeing units automatically rally, and may reroll failed Break tests and Panic tests until the start of the next turn.

Gixyakushuu ‘Counter Attack’
Affected regiments that are charged, count as charging themselves for the purposes of weapon special rules and combat resolution.

Asenburu ‘Assemble’ – 5pts
Affected units may reroll the leadership check to make a Swift Reform, or Reform Amidst Defeat.

Legendary Warriors
In each generation, there arises a man who embodies the martial pride of Nippon. Such men are rare, and come from varied backgrounds, but each has written his name and forged his reputation in the blood of countless challengers and enemies. Such violent lives are often met with violent ends, but while they live- these warriors are the pinnacle of perfection, elevating single combat to an art form. Such warriors find no better challenge than on the battlefield, where the enemy gives them no quarter, and they can be exposed to fighting styles from every nation.

Legendary Warrior M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 6 6 4 3 2 6 4 8
Special Rules: Bushido, Killing Blow, Martial Artist
Martial Artist - Legendary Warriors often arise within one of the many schools of martial disciplines within Nippon.
Kenjutsu: Kenjutsu is the art of swordsmanship in Nippon, and a true master can bring down any foe with a single, masterful strike. Kenjutsu Masters exchange Killing Blow for 'Heroic Killing Blow', and is equipped with a Samurai Sword for free.
Kyujutsu: Kyujutsu is the skill of archery. A master of Kyujutsu can pierce the eye of a crow at a thousand paces, or fire a hail of arrows in a span of seconds. Kyukutsu Masters are equipped with a Longbow, and have the Sniper special rule (their bowshots count as having Killing Blow)
Bajutsu: Bajutsu is the discipline of horsemanship. Masters of Bajutsu are experts at fighting from horseback, as comfortable in the saddle as they are in their own flesh. Bajutsu masters are equipped with a Naginata, Warhorse, and have the Fast Cavalry special rule.

And there it is, the full list of units. The total in the end comes out to 12 units and 4 characters, which I feel is fair. I could make that number higher if I wanted, by splitting the Ashigaru into designated ranged and close-combat units, but I felt like it would only be redundant. I've kept things in line with the current 8th edition trends, having both Horde-capable core units, some Monstrous Cavalry, a Monster, and a support/augment unit in the form of the Taiko drums.
Of course I still have special characters to add to the army, but this is the basic overview (with brief fluff explanations) of every unit that will be in the army.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Unit Entries - Lords and Heroes

Lords

Daimyo: 100pts
_______ M|WS|BS| S | T |W| I |A| Ld
Daimyo | 4 | 7 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 7| 4 | 10
Wargear: Samurai Swords, Heavy Armor, Two Sashimono
Special Rules: Bushido, Folded Steel, Kei
May carry one of the following weapons
Spear +2pts
Naginata +5pts
O’Dachi +5pts
May also carry a Bow for +10pts
May ride a Cathayan Steed for +12pts
May bear an additional Sashimono for +20pts
May select up to 100pts of Magic Items

Uzatto Priest: 115
_____ M|WS| BS| S | T |W| I | A | Ld
Priest | 4 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 2 | 9
Special Rules: Vessel of Kei, Mystic Brotherhood, Folded Steel
Uzatto Priests are L3 Wizards who may choose their spells from the lore of Shinto, Life, Heavens, or Light
May be upgraded to L4, +35pts
The Uzatto Priest may select up to 100pts of Magic Items
May be mounted on Cathayan Steed +15pts per model, or Kirin, +25pts per model

Heroes

Taisho: 90pts
______ M|WS|BS| S | T |W| I |A| Ld
Taisho | 4 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 6| 3 | 9
Wargear: Samurai Swords, Heavy Armor, Sashimono
Special Rules: Bushido, Folded Steel, Kei
May carry one of the following weapons
Spear +1pt
Naginata +3pts
O’Dachi +3pts
May ride a Cathayan Steed +10pts
One Taisho in the army may be upgraded to be a Battle Standard Bearer +25pts
May select up to 50pts of Magic Items

Uzatto Acolyte
__________M | WS| BS| S | T | W | I | A | LD
Acolyte | 4 | 5 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 4 | 1 | 8 |
Special Rules: Vessel of Kei, Mystic Brotherhood, Folded Steel
Uzatto Acolytes are L1 Wizards who may choose their spells from the lore of Shinto or Light
May be upgraded to L2, +35pts
The Uzatto Priest may select up to 50pts of Magic Items
May be mounted on Cathayan Steed +8pts per model, or Kirin, +25pts per model

Kabuzei: 50pts
_______ M|WS| BS| S | T |W| I | A | Ld
Kabuzei | 5 | 7 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 7| 3 | 7
Wargear: Light Armor, 2x Handweapons
Special Rules: Fear, Poisoned Attacks, Wretched, Dark Jutsus, Body of Shadows
Kabuzei are L1 Wizards who may choose their spells from the Lore of Death or Shadows
May be upgraded to L2 for +50pts
May select up to 50pts of Magic Items

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Unit Entries: Troops, Special, Rare

Troops

Samurai: 12pts
_______M|WS| BS| S | T |W| I | A | Ld
Samurai| 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 | 4| 2 | 7
-Kyunin| 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 | 4| 3 | 8
Unit Size: 5+
Wargear: Heavy Armor, Samurai Swords
Special Rules – Bushido, Folded Steel, Kei
May exchange Samurai Swords for Nagainata at +2pts per model
Upgrade 1 Samurai to a Musician +8pts
Upgrade 1 Samurai to a Standard Bearer +12pts
Upgrade 1 Samurai to a Kyunin +12pts

Naginata Rider: 22pts
_______M|WS| BS| S | T |W| I | A | Ld
Samurai| 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 | 4| 2 | 7
-Kyunin| 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 | 4| 3 | 8
--Horse | 8 | 3 | - | 3 | - | - | 3| 1 | -
Wargear: Heavy Armor, Naginata, Bow
Special Rules – Bushido, Folded Steel, Kei, Fast Cavalry
Upgrade 1 Naginata Rider to a Musician +8pts
Upgrade 1 Naginiata Rider to a Standard Bearer +12pts
Upgrade 1 Naginata Rider to a Kyunin +12pts
--Any number of Naginata Rider regiments may be upgraded to wear Sashimono, a regiment with Sashimono counts as a Special choice. Sashimono: +3pts/model

Ashigaru: 4pts
________M|WS| BS| S | T |W| I | A | Ld
Ashigaru| 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 1 | 3| 1 | 6
--Gashira| 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 1 | 3| 2 | 7
Unit Size: 10+
Wargear: Handweapon, Spear
May exchange their Spears for one of the following weapons
-bow: free
-Naginata: +2pts per model
-Arquebus: +3pts per model
May wear Light Armor +1pt per model
Upgrade 1 Ashigaru to a Musician +8pts
Upgrade 1 Ashigaru to a Standard Bearer +12pts
Upgrade 1 Ashigaru to a Gashira +12pts
If the regiment is armed with Bows or Arquebuses, the entire unit may be given lattices for 30pts

Special

Ronin: 14pts
_________M|WS| BS| S | T |W| I | A | Ld
----Ronin | 4 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 | 4| 2 | 7
Soul Eater| 4 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 | 4| 3 | 8
Wargear: Samurai Swords
Special Rules: Skirmish, Folded Steel, Kei, Hatred, Body of Shadows
Upgrade 1 Ronin to a Soul Eater +12pts
May be upgraded to Scouts +5pts per model

Onii: 65
____M|WS| BS| S | T |W| I | A | Ld
Onii| 5 | 4 | 2 | 4 | 5 | 3 | 2| 3 | 7
Unit Size: 3+
Wargear: Massive obsidian clubs (count as Great Weapons)
Special Rules: Daemon, Frenzy, Trample

Tengu: 35pts
______M|WS| BS| S | T |W| I | A | Ld
Tengu | 2 | 5 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 2 | 5| 2 | 7
Wargear: Razor Sharp Talons, or actual razors (count as 2 handweapons)
Special Rule: Daemon, Fly

Kensai: 16pts
______M|WS|BS| S | T |W| I |A| Ld
Kensai| 4 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 | 4| 2| 9
Special Rules: Bushido, Folded Steel, Kei, Bodyguards
Wargear: Heavy Armor, Samurai Swords, Sashimono
May carry one weapon from the following list
O’Dachi +1pt per model
Naginata +2pts per model
Upgrade 1 Kensai to a Musician 8pts
Upgrade 1 Kensai to a Standard Bearer 12pts
--The Standard Bearer may carry a Magic Banner worth up to 50pts
The entire unit may be given an additional Sashimono for +1pt per model

Yamabushi: 13pts
_________ M|WS| BS| S | T |W| I | A | Ld
Yamabushi | 4 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 1 | 4| 2 | 7
Enlightened| 4 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 1 | 4| 3 | 8
Wargear: Kanabo (flail)
Special Rules: Yamabushi Ferocity, Immune to Psychology, Unbreakable, 5+ Wardsave
Upgrade 1 Yamabushi to an Enlightened 12pts

Rare

Hatamoto: 50pts
________ M |WS|BS| S | T |W | I| A | Ld
Hatamoto | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 | 4| 2 | 7
---Kyunin | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 | 4| 3 | 8
-----Jishin | 8 | 3 | - | 3 | - | - | 3| 1 | -
Wargear: Heavy Armor, Naginata, 2 Sashimono
Special Rules: Bushido, Folded Steel, Kei, Forest Strider, Fear, MR1
May exchange Naginatas for O’Dochi at no cost
Upgrade 1 Hatamoto to Musician +8pts
Upgrade 1 Hatamoto to Standard Bearer +12pts
-- who may carry a magic banner worth up to 50pts
Upgrade 1 Hatamoto to Kyunin +12pts
-- who may carry a magic item worth up to 25pts
The entire unit may be equipped with an additional Sashimono +4pts per model

Sotei: pts
_________M|WS| BS| S | T |W| I | A | Ld
Sotei__| 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 | 4| 2 | 7
-Benkai| 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 | 4| 3 | 8
Wargear: Heavy Armor, Naginata
Special Rules – Magical Attacks, Immune to Psychology, Wardsave(5+), Kei Brotherhood, Mystic Wardens
Options:
May upgrade one Sotei to Benkai, +10pts
May upgrade one Sotei to Standard Bearer, +10pts
-- who may carry a magic standard worth up to 50pts
May upgrade one Sotei to Musician, +10pts

Taiko Drums: 80pts
__________ M|WS| BS| S | T |W| I | A | Ld
Taiko Drum | - | - | - | - | 6 | 4 | 1 | - | -
---Drummer | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3| 1 | 3 | 1 | 8
----------Onii | 5 | 4 | 2 | 4 | 5 | 3| 2| 3 | 7
Unit Size: 1 Drum and 2 Drummers
you may take 2 Taiko Drums as a single Rare choice
Special Rules: Herald of War
May be carried by a pair of Onii +65pts

Ryujin: 250pts
______M|WS|BS| S | T |W| I |A| Ld
Ryujin| 4 | 3 | 0 | 6 | 5 | 6 | 3| 5| 9
Special Rules: Magic Resistance 2, Scaly Skin 4+, Elemental Beast
May take additional magic levels for +40pts per level, to a maximum of 4

Legendary Warrior: 100pts
_____________ M|WS|BS| S | T |W| I |A| Ld
Legendary Warrior| 4 | 3 | 0 | 6 | 5 | 6 | 3| 5| 9
Unit Size: 1
you may take 2 Legendary Warriors as a single Rare choice
Wargear: Handweapon
Special Rules: Bushido, Kei, Killing Blow, Martial Artist
May be upgraded to a master of one of the following martial arts
Master of Kenjutsu 20pts
Master of Kyujutsu 30pts
Master of Bajutsu 30pts
may wear light armor (+3pts) or heavy armor (+6pts)
may carry up to 2 Sashimono, +5pts each
may also carry up to 50pts of Magic Items

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Shinto Lore, and Kei Powers

Rites of the Uzatto;

Channel Kei (Lore Attribute)
Uzatto Rites are heavily ritualized and every movement of Priest is a part of the casting ritual, but at it’s core level, it is no different from the Kei channeled by regiments of the Bushii. If a friendly unit with the Kei special rule is the target of a successful Uzatto casting, the regiment will immediately gain 1 Kei dice.

Misogi Harai, ‘Purification of Water’ (Signature Spell) Cast on 6+
The priest rolls a single, crystal clear droplet from an upraised fingertip, to the ground, chanting as it changes course over his body.
Misogi Harai is an augment spell with a range of 18”. Until the start of the caster’s next magic phase, any Hex spell targeting the unit has it’s casting value raised by +3.

1. Shichi Fukujin, ‘Seven Fates’ Cast on 5+
With a clattering and rolling of finger bones, the monk calls on the Luck of the heavens to guide the blades of the warriors of Nippon.
Shichi Fukujin is an augment with a range of 18”. Roll 2D6. On a 2-9, nothing happens. On a 10-11, the target unit has it’s Weapon Skill increased by 1. On a 12, the unit gains a 5+ Wardsave, or increases an existing Wardsave by +1.

2. Tenjin, Protector of Scholars Cast on 7+
With a gold-handled brush, the monk scribes the rune of Tenjin onto parchment treated with scented oils. Igniting this page, the monk invokes the god of knowledge to watch over him and his fellows.
Tenjin is an augment spell. Until the start of the next magic phase, if any friendly caster casts a spell with Irresistable Force, roll a D6. On a 5+, the caster ignores the effect of the miscast table (but the spell is still cast and cannot be dispelled).

3.Susanoo Mikoto, ‘Winds’ Purity’ Cast on 8+
The monk draws deeply on a blessed pipe, and blows the curling white smoke out into the air. As it twists and coils towards the clouds, it forms the sign of Mikoto, and calls upon the air and sea to wash clean the impurity of war.
Mikoto is a hex spell. Until the start of the next friendly magic phase, all units (friend and foe) on the battlefield lose the ‘Poisonous’ special rule, and spells from the Lore of Nurgle and Lore of Death add +3 to their casting value.

4. Benzai-Tenyo, ‘Gift of Tongues’ Level Variable
This ritual comes in the form of a poem, spoken by the monk over the fan of a court performer. Snapping the fan closed, the monk sends the blessing on it’s way, granting an ally the words he seeks.
Benzai Tenyo is an augment spell which may be cast on one friendly character in combat, within 18”. The casting value is equal to the target model’s Weapon Skill, +1. If successfully cast, the target gains ‘Gift of Tongues’ special rule (he target enemy characters with his challenge, and force them to accept)

5.Shirudo Kojiki ‘Shield of Kojiki’ Cast on 18+
Remains in Play

In a humble and simple ritual, the monk prays to the departed spirit of the Great Kami Kojiki, founder of Nippon and guardian of all who defend it.
Shirudo Kojiki is an augment with a range of 24”. A single model gains 4+ wardsave. If he is slain, roll a D6. On a 1-5, the model is slain and removed from the table. On a 6, the killing blow is ignored, and the model regains D3 wounds.

6.Ikari no Izananye ‘Wrath of Izananye’ Cast on 21+
With a display of sulfur and flames, and a great shout of rage, the monk calls down the most powerful of all the Nipponsei dieties, Izananye, the vengeful goddess of the sun.
Ikari no Izananye is a Hex spell with a range of 18”. Each model in the unit must take an initiative test. Each model that fails suffers an automatic wound. Wounds from Ikari no Izananye are Flaming, and ignore armor saves.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kei Powers (by number of Sashimono)

0. Roar of Resolution, power level 3
The first Kei power taught to any aspiring Bushii, this guttural roar fills the Bushii with courage and a renewed sense of duty, allowing him to fight through pain, and shrug off all but the most dire of wounds.
The regiment gains a 5+ wardsave until the start of the next friendly magic phase.

1. Kei Shout, power level 4
Raising their voices as one, the Bushii project a wall of force towards the foe which shatters morale as easily as it pulverizes flesh and bone.
The regiment inflicts D6 hits, plus 1D6 for the greatest number of Sashimono on any one member of the regiment, against one enemy regiment in base contact. The Strength of these hits is equal to the number of ranks in the shouting regiment, plus one. Saves may be taken against any wounds as normal. In addition, the regiment now counts as causing Fear in the following round of combat.

2. Cry of Savagery, power level 4
The Bushii issue a terrifying war cry, empowering their sword arms and driving them towards the foe with a renewed ferocity.
The regiment gains +1 Strength and gains ‘Frenzy’, until the start of the next friendly magic phase.

3. Voice of Might, power level 5
Barely a whisper, the Bushii call forth the true power of Kei. They become utterly fearless, and their bodies seem to visibly swell with pride.
The regiment gains +1 Toughness, and the ‘Immune to Psychology’ special rule, until the start of the next friendly magic phase.

Great House Powers (switched for Voice of Might if the regiment or character has the appropriate Clan Mon)

Tarai: Swift as the Wind, power level 4
As the steady drum of hoofbeats grows impossibly fast, the descendents of the Tarai seem to become an unstoppable blur.
The regiment gains the Furious Charge special rule, and may reroll the dice to determine Charge Distance, until the start of the next friendly magic phase.

Tachiwara: Relentless Blades, power level 4
An azure glow seems to emenate from the blades of the Tachiwara swordsmen as their swords cut through time itself to deliver deadly blows a second before they even strike.
The target gains the ‘Always Strikes First’ special rule. If the target already has Always Strikes First from another source, Relentless Blades confers Initiative 10 instead.

Fujibana: Wicked Overseers, power level 4
A shout of command, and threats of pain unimaginable, compel the lowly footsoldiers forward towards their enemy.
Target a friendly regiment of Ashigaru or Arquebusiers within 8 inches. The regiment immediately Marches directly forward, ignoring enemy units and terrain which would prevent marching (ie Forests). This move cannot bring the regiment into contact with an enemy, and the regiment will take Dangerous Terrain tests if they move through any terrain type other than ‘open ground’.

Minamoyo, Call of the True Path, power level 4
Unlocking the true mastery of Kei, the children of Minamoyo bend the very winds of magic against their foe, deadening the powers of Wizards, and leaving the enemy vulnerable to the ravages of Magic.
Target an enemy unit with 12", even within combat. This unit must reroll all successful Ward Saves. Furthermore, any additional spells cast at this unit gain a +1 to their roll to cast and any Wizards in the target unit will suffer -1 to any Casting attempts made in their next turn. These modifiers are not cumulative for multiple castings of Call of the True Path.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heirlooms of Honor

Kusanagi, Magic Weapon, 75pts
The bearer of Kusanagi has Flaming Attacks and always counts his Strength as being 2 higher than the target’s toughness (to a maximum of 10). Armor saves are modified by this strength, and successful Wardsaves must be rerolled.

Muramasa, Magic Weapon, 50pts
The bearer is subject to Frenzy, and will never lose it. Additionally, for every wound the bearer inflicts (after saves), he must immediately make an additional attack. This second round of attacks can generate further attacks, and so on. If the bearer is left without an enemy model to target, he will target friends in base contact, or himself.

Masamune, Magic Weapon, 50pts
Enemy models in base contact with the bearer lose any additional attacks or rerolls gained as an effect of Psychology (Hatred, Frenzy, etc).
Furthermore, enemy models wishing to strike the bearer must first pass an unmodified Leadership test, with no rerolls allowed. If the test is failed, the enemy model loses it’s attacks for this round of combat.

Bashiri no Seiryu, Magic Armor, 40pts
Heavy Armor. The wearer of the Bashiri no Seiryu has the Regen (4+) ability.

Kagemusha's Mempo, Enchanted Item, 35pts
Once per game, at any time, the bearer of the Kagemusha Mempo may reveal his true face. Immediately switch his location with any other friendly character of the same troop type, exactly as the ‘Smoke and Mirrors’ attribute of the Lore of Shadows, disregarding any reference to range or line of sight. Note that this means the Mempo can be used to escape a challenge, or even be used before an enemy models rolls to wound with an attack.

Jiyundo Scroll, Arcane Item, 65pts
One use only. When an enemy spell has been cast, a Priest with the Jiyundo Scroll may break it’s seal instead of attempting to dispel the spell. The magic phase ends immediately, without resolving the cast spell, and any Remains in Play spells still in play are automatically dispelled.
Once the seal has been broken, the bearer immediately rolls upon the Miscast table, as the scroll becomes a whirling vortex of unchecked magic.

Rising Sun Crest, Talisman, 35pts
The bearer of the Rising Sun Crest may not take any other Clan Mon. Instead, he becomes a Wizard who may cast in armor, with spells generated from the Lore of Fire. His Wizard Level is equal to his number of Sashimono.

War Banner of the Shogunate, Magic Standard, 100pts
Models in the unit with the War Banner of the Shogunate are Unbreakable. Once per game, the War Banner of the Shogunate may be held aloft as a symbol of pride – fleeing Nippon regiments automatically rally, and any Bushii regiments who have lost the benefits of Bushido regain them.
If the bearer of the War Banner of the Shogunate is killed, do not automatically remove the banner. If there is another Standard Bearer in the regiment, replace their banner with the War Banner of Shogunate. The enemy still gains Victory Points for the captured standard as usual, as well as for killing the Battle Standard Bearer, and may target the new bearer as if he were a character.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I like it (though the forum won't let me rep you for some reason). I fear my Japanese is a bit too wonky to be of much help. I don't actually see the flags as too overpowered - the characters that unlock them are pricey as it is, and with the flags, they'll be using up a lot of points. Also, +1 for not including Ninjas as assassins (and -1 for not making the shogun 0-1) :p

One question - does the option to "raise one stat" apply to all stats, even wounds or toughness? If so, why?

Two suggestions - as it stands, Ronin are essentially 155 points for a character without access to the flags. That doesn't seem too viable. Why not include a cheap band of bandits/cutthroats/comrades that are unlocked with purchase of a ronin?

Since you describe that they have a different relationship to magic - why use the brb ones, and not give the monks a unique, shinto - based lore, possibly with spells associated with the pantheon of more notable kami? Here's an Idea for the lore attribute -

Misogi Harai — Water Purification (Shinto-Lore Attribute)

Whenever a monk successfully casts a Shinto Spell, target friendly unit within 18" of the monk gains the "purified spirit" special rule until the start of your next magic phase. Any hex spell targeted at a purified unit adds +3 to it's casting value.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Armor Piercing (via Folded Steel) is a bit much. Katanas are arguably the best slashing blade in the world, but nothing nonmagical is going to cut through heavy (chain up, made of bronze, iron, or steel) armor reliably and without nicks, let alone the plate armor implied in the description. (Most, including katanas, are only going to pierce it in joints or, if it does manage to pierce through a tougher section, get stuck. That which doesn't (handguns) rightly have the Armor Piercing rule)

You could safely put the Samurai at 13pt without Armor Piercing though.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the timely responses. This kind of criticism is what I'm looking for- I'd like to have friendly debates about the list, so that I can keep several different viewpoints in mind. At times I might seem to defend the list as it stands, but only because I haven't thought of alternatives yet and/or I'm still waiting for someone to suggest one (Stradius's 'Folded Steel' comment, for example).

Castiel- I gave it some thought, and I think that I'll ammend it so that they can't put the +1 to their Wounds or Toughness. Wounds is definitely out of the question- you suddenly have everyone running 4W Shoguns. Toughness could stick- I was thinking of it as the Samurai's legendary ability to shrug off minor wounds through strength of will, but having a T5 Human running around is a bit much. I'll make the fix.
I'm glad you noticed that I kept Ninja out of the book. I thought of making the Shogun a special character like Karl Franz or Tyrion, and making Daimyo into Lord choices, but then I couldn't think of what to call Hero characters. Putting him at 0-1 is too restricting, at larger games, you'd see a single Shogun (who's not crazily over-the-top) and then tons of Ikko Monks. I want players to be able to scale their armies.

Are you suggesting that Ronin at 155pts for a Rare choice is too over powered? Or that people won't take them? When I read your post, you seemed to be suggesting that Ronin should still count as a Hero choice, but that they should unlock a regiment of Bandits. My first thought was that Ronin might allow Samurai to swap their Sashimono's for the ability to Skirmish and either Scout/Vanguard, but then I though- why would you limit yourself to the number of 'SBT' enabled characters just to add skirmishers to your army? I was going to make a special character, Akira Kumosama (only non-historical character I had in mind, Akira Kurosawa, the film maker) who could make Ronin count as troops so that people could make '7 Samurai' themed armies.

I like the Lore Attribute for their magic, and I might try to come up with a Lore. If anyone has any suggestions for spells, I'd like to read them, I had a hard enough time coming up with banners (which you are also allowed to suggest, as well as magic items). The reason that I was hesitant to give them their own lore or magic items, is because I want the list to remain as closely tied to the Core Rules as possible, with as few variations as I can manage for a fan-made army. There are just too many extra balance issues. Maybe if the majority agrees that the army is well balanced, we'll be good to go and we can start in on Items and Spells. I'll definitely keep that Lore Attribute in mind. What's your opinion on the re-rolls themselves, are they too powerful or okay to stay?

Stradius - you make a good point about Armor Piercing. Samurai Swords were ultimately just swords, and folded japanese steel wasn't much better than standard western steel because of the smelting process. Similarly however, Samurai armor should probably only count as Light Armor at best, since Chainmaile is only Light Armor in most cases (Elven scale? Scale is a LOT better than ringmaile, but Dwarf 'heavy armor' is rings, sure enough). There were a lot of cases where I had to balance historical accuracy with the rules. I understand that only black-powder really has Armor Piercing right now, but you can give a magic banner to a regiment to give them AP attacks. I wanted Samurai Swords to be something legendary, with just +1S with 2 hands they're hardly even Orc Choppas. Note that the army has NO access to Great Weapons except for the Onii clubs.

You say that 13pts per model is balanced for Samurai? That's good to hear, I like knowing that at least I may have ball parked something correctly. However when running the numbers, they don't fare too well against similarly priced foes- even with the Folded Steel rule. Against Swordmasters and Chaos Warriors they get utterly annihilated, and against Empire Greatswords (roughly 25% cheaper) they aren't too effective either. With Sashimono it gets even worse unless you grab Spears. I was considering boosting one of their stats at the basic level, either Ini6, WS6, or S4 to make them a bit more viable. I would boost the cost of Spears then as well.
The trouble is that if you give these nuts ASF from Lore of Life, they're suddenly ridiculous, even at the current values.
I'm definitely up for more input about Samurai stats and pricing!

General notes-
I might give this army its first thorough play testing tonight- probably against Lizardmen. I'm still really looking for more opinions on how the army seems to play- anyone else who's willing to playtest the army and report back would be greatly appreciated (they use Common Magic Items, if you build a list). Even just seeing what kind of armies you would take would be a big help.
I'm considering boosting the Leadership of almost every Non-Character unit by +1. Battle Flags with +1Ld are great, but they don't help you win combat, and without a BSB, you're not getting Rerolls for failed Break Checks (without an order). I'm also contemplating dropping the points costs of Ashigaru to 5pts each at base, with Bows for +1, Spears or Halberds for +3, and guns for +4. I don't think that Ashigaru should cost much more than Empire, especially when Ashis are paying for their ability to benefit from SBT and Empire gets it's Detachment system for free. I don't want a case like the High Elves, where the core is so expensive that people start Min-maxing it to save room for Specials. I'd rather Samurai be too expensive and Ashis be too cheap, than vice versa.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I think the leadership increase (especially for the samurai units) is in order (I didn't notice theirs was so low initially, which in retrospect seems like a major oversight). Empire Greatswords are sitting at Ld 8 - no real reason Samurai should be less.

Clarification note: For the rising sun order flag, is that +D3 rolled for each unit seperately, or rolled and then applied to them all?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Castiel- I gave it some thought, and I think that I'll ammend it so that they can't put the +1 to their Wounds or Toughness. Wounds is definitely out of the question- you suddenly have everyone running 4W Shoguns. Toughness could stick- I was thinking of it as the Samurai's legendary ability to shrug off minor wounds through strength of will, but having a T5 Human running around is a bit much. I'll make the fix.
I'm glad you noticed that I kept Ninja out of the book. I thought of making the Shogun a special character like Karl Franz or Tyrion, and making Daimyo into Lord choices, but then I couldn't think of what to call Hero characters. Putting him at 0-1 is too restricting, at larger games, you'd see a single Shogun (who's not crazily over-the-top) and then tons of Ikko Monks. I want players to be able to scale their armies.
One thing I'd have suggested (though you said you wanted to keep the stuff close to the other armies) would be - why not introduce the different houses? The country was pretty big on feudal intrigue after all - so you'd have 0-1 Shoguns, and then Daimyo that count as Lord or Hero choices depending on what house they come from. (With bonus effects for the different houses, and maybe an individual bonus if the Shogun is from the same house as the majority of your characters. Sure it'd be complicated but definitely fluffy ;)

Are you suggesting that Ronin at 155pts for a Rare choice is too over powered? Or that people won't take them? When I read your post, you seemed to be suggesting that Ronin should still count as a Hero choice, but that they should unlock a regiment of Bandits. My first thought was that Ronin might allow Samurai to swap their Sashimono's for the ability to Skirmish and either Scout/Vanguard, but then I though- why would you limit yourself to the number of 'SBT' enabled characters just to add skirmishers to your army? I was going to make a special character, Akira Kumosama (only non-historical character I had in mind, Akira Kurosawa, the film maker) who could make Ronin count as troops so that people could make '7 Samurai' themed armies.
If I didn't oversee something, a Ronin without any gear is a 155 points model with two wounds, that is neither a monster, nor a spellcaster. Why would you want such a thing? I suggested keeping them as rare choices, but each Ronin unlocking 0-1 regiments of light troups that come at a discount of some sort, to even out the price tag.

I like the Lore Attribute for their magic, and I might try to come up with a Lore. If anyone has any suggestions for spells, I'd like to read them, I had a hard enough time coming up with banners (which you are also allowed to suggest, as well as magic items). The reason that I was hesitant to give them their own lore or magic items, is because I want the list to remain as closely tied to the Core Rules as possible, with as few variations as I can manage for a fan-made army. There are just too many extra balance issues. Maybe if the majority agrees that the army is well balanced, we'll be good to go and we can start in on Items and Spells. I'll definitely keep that Lore Attribute in mind. What's your opinion on the re-rolls themselves, are they too powerful or okay to stay?.
I wouldn't say the rerolls are overpowered though I'm personally not particularly fond of the rule - being generated in the middle of the turn, but persisting through the enemy turn, it seems like an awful thing to keep track of, and all around a bit, for lack of better word, 'wonky'. As for the lore, give me a sec :p

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The Rajiingusan should probably be rolled separately, as it's a one use only and it would be pretty sad if you rolled a +1 for the entire army, haha.
Another clarification that came to light while my friend and I were working on armylists-
If an Ashigaru unit has a Samurai leader, can he accept challenges without a Sashimono?
-Yes. He counts as a Unit Champion if he is leading Ashigaru. The Sashimono is only required to accept challenges within Samurai a unit.

Also, all Ashigaru units now have Light Armor for no additional cost. This was an oversight not corrected in the original draft. Does this change any opinions on the unit? Most likely no, as at a minimum of 9pts each, they should probably be rockin' some protection.

Yeah, I'm thinking that the Leadership bump isn't such a bad idea. Even with the +1Ld for their Battleflags, not all units will have one, units can lose them, and they're not getting the CR or rerollable Break Checks. Consider it done. Characters aren't getting boosted yet though, I don't want them to be too overpowering.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Another thing you could consider is making Samurai Swords more directly similar to Slayer Axes that the dwarfs get on some units - either a Great Weapon or Pair of Hand Weapons, depending on the situation. Perhaps that should wait for proper playtesting though. I'm also thinking that in lieu of Ronin opening up some sort of unit choice, they could be a seperate option akin to Dwarf Dragon Slayers, which, at present, are certainly looking like they could do everything a Ronin could, and for a third the price.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Shinto Lore;

Misogi Harai — Water Purification (Shinto-Lore Attribute)

Whenever a monk successfully casts a Shinto Spell, target friendly unit within 18" of the monk gains the "purified spirit" special rule until the start of your next magic phase. Any hex spell targeted at a purified unit adds +3 to it's casting value.

Shichi Fukujin - Seven Gods of Luck (5+ casting value)
The monk calls upon the seven deities of luck, to bestow good fortune upon a friendly unit.

Select target friendly unit within 18" of the Monk and roll 2D6. At 2-9 nothing happens. At a result of 10 -11, the unit permanently increases their WS or BS by one. At a result of 12 the unit receives a 5+ wardsave (or increases an existing ward save by 1) until the monk next uses this spell.

Tenjin - Protector of Scholars (7+ casting value)
The monk calls upon the blessing of the deity of scholars, to protect him from the danger that great knowledge brings.

If cast successfully, until the start of your next magic phase, all monks in your army disregard any ill effects of miscasts on a roll of 5+

Susanoo no mikoto - Wind of purity (8+ casting value)
The monk calls upon the deity of air and sea, to evoke a purifying wind strong enough to wash away the impurity of the battlefield.

Until the start of your next magic phase, all units on the battlefield loose the poisonous attacks special rule, and all spells of the lore of Nurgle and the lore of death add D6 to their casting value. (Determined immediately when the wind is evoked. If the wind is evoked multiple times in one magic phase, the highest roll overwrites all others)

Benzai-tennyo - Gift of tongues (x+1 casting value)
The monk calls upon the deity of eloquence, to bestow upon a leader the gift to communicate with any man or creature of the world and the beyond.

Target character that is capable of issuing and accepting challenges gains the gift of tongues special rule (He may target specific characters with a challenge, and force them to accept). The casting value of this spell is equal to the targets WS + 1.

Amaterasu - Mother of the royal house (18+ casting value, remains in play)
The monk prays to the deity that founded the royal house of nippon, so she may protect her faithful children in the time of need.

A single Shogun in your army gains a 4+ wardsave. If the affected model is slain, immediately roll a D6. On a roll of 1-5, the model is removed as normal, on a roll of 6 the Shogun immediately recovers through divine help, the killing blow is ignored and he regains D3 wounds (may not exceed his starting wounds).

Amaterasu - the vengeful sun (21+ casting value)
The monk calls upon the most powerful of all the shinto deities, to burn the enemies of nippon with the merciless fire of the sun.

Target enemy unit must immediately test for initiative. Each model that fails suffers a single wound that counts as flaming attacks, and ignores armor saves.

Just suggestions of course ;)

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Castiel- I like the new Lore ideas. I think the only changes I would suggest would be to bump Bazai-Tennyo up to a 'X+2' casting value, so that it has a maximum casting value of 9+ on a Shogun instead of an 8+, and to swap the last two spells so that "Mother of the Royal House" is the 6th spell, and then drop the prerequisite Initiative Test from "The Vengeful Sun" or drop the casting value to ~18+.
If people want to test the army using this lore, they are welcome to do so.

I also thought of the idea of different houses. Daimyo could be run similarly to the 40k GKs, where they make certain units count as troops or else provide bonuses to certain upgrades. My idea was to introduce them as Special Characters. Having more than one Clan present could be confusing though- can the characters intermingle, do both of the bonuses count, do you have to "mark" each regiment like Warriors of Chaos?

The Ronin definitely need some work. In light of last night's game, the Daimyo itself might be too expensive, which would in turn drive down the price of Ronin as Rare selections. The other problem is that the only reason that I even took Daimyo in the list was for SBTs. I've been considering adding a cheap, horde-able unit to the list, like Armed Peasants, Town Militia, or something. Ronin probably wouldn't lead such a unit, and I'd rather not have to pay 155pts to unlock them, but perhaps this is something that could be blended together somehow?

I looked into the rule for Slayer axes, and it's very similar to what I've already got- they fight with either +1S, +1A, or a 6+ Ward. I want to stay away from Great Weapons on these guys, because I want them to keep their high initiative. In the game that I tried, the Armor Piercing was the only way they were scoring kills at all. Read the report, and you'll see that I want to drop their points value, although I've also thought of giving them Killing Blow instead of Armor Piercing. The problem is that Tomb Kings already have a lot of KB in their army, and KB gets exponentially more expensive with the more attacks that a model has, and Samurai have 2 base and can get an additional one.

The game last night was brutal. My army was tabled at the bottom of turn 6, in a standard Pitched Battle against my friend's very competitive Lizardmen army. My list looked like this:

2500pt Samurai List
Shogun w/ Armor of Destiny, Sashimono (Str, Atk), Sword of Swift Slaying
Kuruma Gakari
@ 390pts
L3 Ikko w/ Channelling Staff, Lore of Life
@ 220
Lord total 610/625

Daimyo w/ Heavy armor, Talisman of Preservation, Sashimono (Atk), Tachi Shinu
@ 231pts
Daimyo w/ Light Armor, Naginata, Cathayan Steed, Kakuyoku
@ 208pts
L2 Ikki w/ Dispel Scroll, Lore of Light
@ 150pts
Hero total 624/625

13 Ashigaru w/ Arquebuses, Battle Flag
@ 150pts
25 Ashigaru w/ spears, musician, Battle Flag, Samurai
@ 257pts
24 Ashigaru w/ spears, musician, Battle Flag, Samurai
@ 248
Core total: 655/625 (2015)

17 Samurai w/ Sashimono (x1), Musician, Battle Flag
@ 298pts
5 Naginata Riders w/ Sashimono
@ 140
6 Naginata Riders w/ Sashimono
@ 164
Special 602/1250

The first thing that I noticed when making the list is that the War Flags for the SBTs are really expensive, which is why each character only had one. The problem that created during the game, was that each character was issuing the same order each turn- creating more of a "bubble effect" for having the character present. The 75pt 'Rotating Attack' was the most overpriced, it's only worth it if you build your army around shooting regiments with more than 2 ranks. I'm thinking of either dropping the cost of the order significantly, or changing it so that it grants shooting units 2x Multiple Shots.
The army had one more unit and one more character than my typical Teclis High Elf army when finished, but you really feel it when your S3/T3 models don't have ASF. Throughout the entire game, my friend's only casualties were a 2-base Razordon Pack that I killed with the regiment of 6 Naginata Riders, 6 Saurus that I managed to bring down with Spears after three rounds of combat, his BSB and entire crew of a Stegadon that he charged into my Samurai (Steg was still there, I lost my more expensive Daimyo, and my Shogun with the unit) and four Templeguard that I got with my Samurai.
+1Ld and SBT does not make up for a BSB at the moment. In fact, my Tachi Shinu Daimyo was using his order all game until his death, to emulate a 6" BSB range. The order is good, but to have something akin to an actual BSB, you need 2 Daimyo or a Shogun, investing in a 35pt order. I think a BSB option might be called for. Empire have it alongside their Detachment System, Nippon should have one along with the Orders.

In battle, we realized that having Samurai Champions for Ashigaru units, and Sashimono Samurai as champions for Samurai units, is rather time consuming. Unlike normal +1A champions, you have to roll these champs separately from their unit because of different Strengths or different WS values. I'm thinking that Ashi should at least get a specific Champion option, for the standard +1A or +1BS.

I do know that I made some tactical errors- I planned on using my Naginata Riders along with the Kakuyoku Daimyo to bait my opponent into deploying on the flank, and then quickly moving my troops into range to flank my units fighting is main body. The problem was terrain, and his naturally full deployment zone, meant that they were moving straight-forward. They are a good unit though, but like the rest of the army- T3 is a big hurt to their performance, and a S4 charge is still somewhat low for Cavalry. 24pts seemed appropriate though, for their 2A and 4+sv Fast Cav.
My Samurai were also using their Wakizashi all game for +1A. The Folded Steel rule is definitely sticking with these guys, unless they get a Strength Boost to their base stat. -1 to your Save isn't that bad when I'm only S3 base. I'd have given the entire regiment Sashimonos but it's so expensive that there's just no way to validate it. I think that I'll drop the Samurai to 13pts each, and give them the option to take Sashis for 3-4pts and try again.

The army has the same problem as the High Elves- at this point, I think that the Characters feel too integral to skimp out on, the Core are too expensive for what they're capable of, and the focus falls to the Specials, so the nature of the book ends up marginalizing a lot of the more interesting units and options.

Altogether, the changes I'm suggesting are:
1. Drop the cost of Tachi Shinu war flag to 15pts, and/or give the army a BSB option
2. Drop the price of Kakuyoku war flag to 50pts, and/or give ranged units 2x Multiple Shots (or handguns may move and fire)
3. Drop the other orders by 5-10pts each to a minimum of 5pts
4. Add a +1A/BS champion option to Ashigaru units. Split the Ashis into ranged and combat varieties with Bows or Spears standard, make armor an option for ranged units.
5. Drop Samurai to 13pts a model, with options for a 3pt Sashimono
6. Change the current 'Ronin' option completely, suggestions for a new unit needed!

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, over the past three days I've gotten in 3 more games with the army, as well as offered my friends to also play with the list. They all agree (there are 4 of us) that the army seems balanced enough to use as a standard armylist, although there is still a lot of resistance to using it at our local RT. I sort of expected this, since it's fan built and therefore open to Matt-Ward-Syndrome. We've already found a few over-the-top ways to play this army, as well as having come up with some ideas for special characters (Castiel, you'll be pleased to see some rules for "Clans" in the special characters). We tried to squash the worst of the Cheese-lists, but wanted to leave in some powerful builds for smart players to catch on to. The worst of the cheese was a Gunline abusing the 'Rotating Attack' order to get 2xMS Handgunners. One of the more interesting builds my friend put together was a "Crane's Wing & Bonsai" combo that got his entire Samurai army into contact on turn 2!

I am still looking for suggestions for a Ronin regiment! As it stands, they're staying in the book as-is, although we all agreed that they're too expensive. They are fun when put together into units of 4 on horseback however, but they're just too expensive.

Also, I've got a fresh round of FAQs for everyone:

Shogun and Daimyo-
Does a Sashimono add +1 to leadership? May I apply the +1 to the Leadership stat?
Yes, the Sashimono adds +1 Leadership as per the Battle Flags rule. You may also add +1 to his leadership, to a maximum of 10.

Can I stack the +1 bonuses for a Shogun?
No, you may not stack them. The +1 has to go to two separate stats.

Can Daimyo and Shoguns receive Orders as well as give them? Can they become Confused?
If they are upgraded with Sashimono, then yes, they receive orders just like any other unit with a Battle Flag. No, Shoguns and Daimyo do not become confused, it's assumed they already know the plan.

Samurai Battle Tactics
Does a unit become confused if it is issued the same order twice during a turn? For example, the Bonsai order being issued by two different characters.
No. Units may come under the same order from multiple sources without becoming confused. Only test for confusion if it is a new order being issued.

Do the effects of orders stack- for example, do I add 2d6 to my Charge if under Bansai twice?
No. Orders do not stack. Being told to do something twice does not make you do it 'better'.

Samurai
Can a single unit of Samurai elect to wield their Samurai Swords in multiple ways during combat, or must they all use them the same?
They all have to use them the same- the whole unit selects one bonus to gain from their swords, at the start of each round of combat. Characters in the unit may choose to wield their swords differently however.

You mentioned possibly giving Daimyos the option of becoming BSBs, but I don't see it in the list- is this an oversight?
No, this was intentional. Instead, I decreased the points value of the "Die Standing" order to make it more available to characters.

Well, that covers the FAQ. I'll soon have a battle report up in the Fantasy Bat.Rep section where I used this armybook against a friend's Brettonian army.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Maybe have warrior monks. Like Samurai except with Frenzy, Unbreakable, and maybe a Khaeleth-like save (take enemy unmodified strength, roll under it to save)

·
Registered
463 Posts
This I like.

Knowing something of Japanese Culture (some of my family lived there for a while) I can say that you've come up with an amazingly accurate portrayal of feudal Japan.

As for feedback...
A Signature Spell for Shinto could be "Balancer"
10+ to Cast
Remains in play, whilst this spell is active, opponents cannot use more dispel dice to dispell this wizards spells than his wizard level.

Seems to fit in with the entire 'guiding' the winds of magic idea.

As for the CR problem, perhaps you could say that all units who have been effected by a Flag signal (except Flee) gain +1 Combat Resolution.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At the moment, it's not so much a problem with CR- they win combats where they should. The problem that I'm having is dialing in the points costs of some of the models, and figuring out how Ronin should be laid out.
At the moment, the Ashigaru and Samurai (the two units I've tested most) seem to cost too much. However, if you issue orders to the Ashigaru (like Rotating Attack- making Bowmen as effective as Handgunners) they suddenly go over the top. The problem then, is that orders are so expensive that you have to build your army around each leader pretty much sticking to ONE order all game (read the batrep- Shogun stuck to Tachi Shinu all game, Daimyo didn't issue his order because of risk of confusion).

I need to figure out how to realistically balance out the Order costs and effects, with the cost of the units. To make things easier, I've actually considered dramatically reducing the cost of Shoguns and Daimyos, and removing the points cap on Orders and just allowing them to take a set number (4 for Shoguns, 2 for Daimyos maybe). At least that way, I can count on there being a high number of Orders available on each turn, and a wider range for players to issue commands.

Check out my Battrep vs. Brettonia HERE
If you have the opportunity to play friendly games, and can proxy models to test out this armybook, I'd really love to hear back from you and get your impressions. There's a lot of work to be done on this army still. Some builds are definitely optimal, but there are still a lot of problems with the book as a whole.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts