Librarium Online Forums banner

Are footslogging armies still viable?

• No! It's mechanized or nothing!

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Yes, when played correctly.

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Yes, but only with a specific army (please list below)

Votes: 3 17.6%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's amazing how few 'foot' armies you see these days. Even the armies without transports (Tyranids, Necron, Chaos Daemons) seem to rely heavily upon deep strike, outflanking, or similar rules to get by.

Heck, I'm an Ork player, and not too long ago the 180 shoota boy lists were all the rage. Now you barely see them.

So what do you think? Are footslogging armies dead, or is there are there armies where marching up the board is still a viable tactic?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, I think you can win with just footslogging, when played correctly.
This is because I'm a footslogger myself (Necron), and I can hold myself against any army. Yes, I can teleport, but I'm not using that so much.

I think any army can be footslogging, the only thing you need is fleet/enough long-rang guns.

(Please correct me if you think I'm wrong, I'm not that experienced.)

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Since 4th edition, mechanised lists have been the primary choice of most players. 5th edition made footslogging a bit more viable, with the addition of rules such as Run, etc. but mechanised still tends to trump footslogging lists most days (vehicles have become more survivable, for instance). I don't think there's a need for footslogging, but that's not to say a footslogging list is not competitive. It's just easier to build and play a competitive mech list.

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
To be honest Tyranids don't rely on deep strike/outflank or anything else. They're quite fast as well as fairly resilient (in my eyes). I NEVER deep strike (maybe with the new dex comming out) and I only sometimes outflank my stealers, all depending on the opponent (always scuttling, but only rarely outflanking).

Though I can't speak about other armies without transports, nids do fine with just rushing the battlefield:)

Though for my tau, WH and DH yes mech is the way to go for me... except for the infantry platoons maybe as they need to give op the transports to the DH's...

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of all the armies, I'd agree that Tyranids are the most capable of getting by without either transports, outflanking, or deep striking. I'm not sure if I consider this setup competitive though. The slow advance is just a little too slow to consistently win in competitive settings, in my opinion. Even a single outflanking troop goes a long way towards making them more competitive.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
I think that mostly depends on the opponent and the mission playing. In my eyes it's more of a voluntary choice for nids, less of a must for other armies. Nidzilla is damn as slow yet annoying to kill, stealers (with scuttling), hormy's, raveners, gargoyles and flyrants can close in with the enemy rather quickly. And with a lot of stuff having fleet their speed is something a lot of people under estimate. Especially cavalry speed...

·
Registered
406 Posts
I can't speak for the other armies but necrons pretty much have to tough it out through footslogging. The lack of viable transport for the warriors pretty much forces them to.

However, I reckon its easier with necrons provided you have a tight phalanx formation, ResOrb in the middle and just run from cover to cover. WBB will shrug off just about anything that gets thrown at you but this typically depends on luck.

Footsloggers are still viable but you don't see them as often because people either find mechanised a "win" army or just don't know how to utilise their footsloggers efficiently.

Footsloggers it is but if you know what you're doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.