Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a general announcement.

There is no such thing as a 'Noob'.

That is the worst word on the internet, I can't even begin to fathom why someone made this word up. If that were me, I would have shot myself in the head while transmitting it on my webcam.

Note - I do not own a webcam, I also never will.

It's just sad when a 'loser' has to make up a word to describe people that are lower than him/her. I played Halo2 for a while on Xbox Live and just quit the whole of Live after a few weeks. The reason? There were ten years old kids on their that played -all-of-the-time- and called -me- a newb because I don't play Halo like it's a job. See, that just pissed me off.

Apparently, it's a derogitory term used to insult 'newcomers' in a specific 'field'. How do people that do something forever(Also called a 'nerd' I believe.) get off on calling someone a name? If you call them nerd, they call you newb, which isn't ever a real word. That's right, noob is not a word. It's internet slang. It's slang, from an virtual place that people are on all day and night trying to get their own little E-possie going because they can't really have friends in the real world so they resort to the worst place in the world, on the internet.

That's just sad.

There's no such thing as a noob. Please, if you're going to use a derogitory term against a new person to the forum(Even if you're talking about yourself.), use the word 'newcomer'. If I see the word noob used, I'm going to chew out the user who used it, no matter who it is. I wish I could eraticate 'noob' from the internet, but I can't...yet. Maybe we could just try and use the word 'newcomer' on LO. It would sure make us look like a more respectable forum, and plus, it would make -me-(And probably the ones you're insulting...) feel alot better.

If you do this, thank you. If not, I think you know where you can go. Just kidding...maybe.

Brought to you by! -
Andrew-

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The problem isn't the word, whose actual meaning is obvious. It's that there's so many dumbasses who use it as a catch-all term (like gay, Jew, etc) to describe someone or something they don't agree with or otherwise don't like.

·
Dancing Peanuts? You bet!
1,350 Posts
"Noob" is simply short hand for "Newbie".

But I totally agree, it's a really annoying term that means far beyond what it actually means, and in far more circumstances it simply means, "you have a life, hahaha". For example, when I get killed in Counter-Strike, someone calls me a "noob". Well sorreeeee that I havn't played it for 120 hours in the past week, but Im just not that kinda guy...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ostsol said:
The problem isn't the word, whose actual meaning is obvious. It's that there's so many dumbasses who use it as a catch-all term (like gay, Jew, etc) to describe someone or something they don't agree with or otherwise don't like.
Exactly, I feel quite stringly about this issue as well.
I don't find it offensive if it is a one time thing, but as ostol said if it has turned into a 'catch phrase' then thats what will aggrivate me. If you think about it its actually pretty sad because the reason they are doing this is because they are jelous of you in some way, or they are just plain jack-asses!

HPA

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
I think Ostsol is right, noob is but a word.
In sweden we have this strange habit of changing words whenever they become "tainted" and it never changes anything. It takes only a little while for the new word to get the same bad vibes as the old one had. Cleaning woman turned into Facility-carer, FC turned into something different after a while.
I do sense quite some bitterness in the first post here. I understand that it's never nice to be called names, but I don't think changing the name makes any difference. I don't think the "payback" version does any good either. Clanking down on us nerds.

One has a duty not to offend people and also sometimes it could be considered ones duty not to be offended. When we let ourselfs be hurt by mere words we enter a dangerous road, an escalator even...

·
Registered
43 Posts
In my opinion, Noob is a way to describe someone who is doing a poor job at something. That is what the word has evolved into, among my group of friends. none of us plays very much, and sometimes we have better nights than others. "Noob" is yelled when someone lets themselves be killed in a particularly pathetic way, etc.

I know it is uncomfortable, but for example on a forum like this one, some people just behave very badl Some people are unable to think about what they say, or decide to be jackasses for fun. They could be described (with the durrent use of the word) as noobs.

This might be linguisticly wrong, so perhaps we ought to simply call them stupid? or annoying? No, because noob is, in a sense, milder and less ridiculous, I think, than these childish and unjustifiable terms. Noob also combines more into one word than any of the other derrogative terms.

If slang cannot be seen as "words" then where does all the regular slang fit in?

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/

That's just one of the places that would argue against you.

Net slang is no worse than any other slang, and the net is not just a sorry excuse for poeple who have no life.

·
LO Zealot
1,692 Posts
I think you're over-reacting a bit GamesMasterZ. It's just a word, slang for newbie(which is slang for newcomer).

I certainly think it's much better than calling someone a wanker, or a ****smoker or something, and all it means is that someone is inexperienced or naive.

Sure, people might use it unjustly, or frequently and without reason, but it doesn't mean that doesn't happen with other insults as well.

I think the reason why you don't like it so much is because you let those 10 year old Halo nerds get to you, which you shouldn't, it's just a game, and they are just little idiots who have no life apart from Halo, and get kicks out of knowing they are better than someone at something.

Also, I think you're being a little ambitious saying, "If I see the word noob used, I'm going to chew out the user who used it, no matter who it is", seeing as that's kind of harassment, and violation of their right to free speech. If Blackhat called someone a noob, would you 'chew him out'? I don't think so.

In closing, get over it. It's just a word, and you just have to learn to put up with **** that you don't like just like everyone else in the world.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Noob, Noobie: Term used to describe one who is behaving like a person new to a game, forum, ect. The person in question is usually acting stupidly. Commonly used in the wrong sense: Describing someone entirly new to the game, forum, ect. Extreme usage of this word has changed a mere insult into a social class.

Newb, Newbie: Term used to describe one who is new to a game, forum, ect. Rarely used in the right sense. The word "Noob" originated from this word.

That's my thought for the day.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Gerbrith said:

Thanks for the link. :)

In regards to the other, its never cool to be critical of someone not sharing our/your/mine level of obsession with something.

So, I'd never call someone a newb.

I'd call people assholes, but thats more of a personality thing.

EDIT: Wow. I thought the filter would catch that. Wierd.

Deliberately obtuse is also a favorite.

·
Favored of Tzeentch
3,140 Posts
If a word is continously used, it does indeed exist. That is what makes up a language...

But I like the word 'Newbie' a lot more, sounds nicer in a way.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The main problem with the "noob" term - is its use.

I* get called a "noob" for trying a tactic that no-one else has tried. I get called a "noob" for using a unit that everyone else beleives sucks, and ESPECAILLY so when I beat them with that unit.

I* get called a "noob" on forums I recently join too. After 8 years of rules-lawyering and playing, I don't really class myself as a "noob".

I* get called a "noob" if I make a point that someone disagrees with, and has no real counter point.

I* get called a newb as I don't want to conform to the "norm" of playing/units. Just to be different, I made an 1500 SM army with just one Assault cannon (which, in larger games, would be none). And the army has beaten the !12 Assault CAnnon" armies royally. I do well in tournaments as I ahve come up with my own style, own unit combinations, and as such I don't get hammered on Comp. scores. Yet I STILL get called a "noob", particularly by those in the lower rankings whose "invincible" armies have benn smashed apart.

*I have used I as these have cropped up on occasion.

I see "noob/newbie" as an acceptable word, however only if used in the right circumstances. If I was starting Warhammer or 40K, I WOULD calss myself as a "noob". But I feel using it just because someone is trying a unit that normally sucks, in a unique way, isn't justified. Ok, it may not work, then again, it could be amazing. Experimentation is the way to come up with absolutely killer, or fun, unit combinations and style of fun. If everyone did what is the "accepted" view, then the game would never move on and be as boring as heck.

Just some of my thoughts on this subject.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with the threadstarter. Another thing that annoys me is when someone says "EZ" right after they kill you, then when you kill them they rush to type in the words "OMFG LAMED" before you can say "EZ", because they're too chicken**** to admit that they lost.

I don't understand how these people live, honestly. If I was them, I'd have probably killed myself 20x by now.

But next time this happens to you, no worries, don't fret, they'll probably be the same guys living in their parents' basement at 40 with their virginity still intact.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
I sense quite some bitterness in this thread, so I feel I must admit to sometimes beeing a Noob.
If I am new to something, and don't know much about whatever it is, I am a Noob. I would not feel humiliated if someone used the word to describe me in that specific situation.
Why would that be wrong?

·
Registered
118 Posts
everyone has been a noob at everything at some point, you just have to. imo people who use the word noob attempt to put down or ridicule some one who has a different idea to everyone else just because they did not "think out side of the box" and try it themselves. for example, i have heard people being called a noob in my local gw for trying new tactics. if you watch closely the person shouting noob will try out these tactics in another game.

that is te definition of noob - one who cant think for themselves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts