Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey hey,

I enjoy building armies around fluff, rather than tournement games. I still enjoy winning, but background is more important.

So, I am looking at building a vanguard 1000 point 'nid army. Including Lictors, 'Stealers, Gargolyes, few gaunts and warriors.

No Hive Tyrant. I was scanning the army lists and found nearly everyone uses a Hive Tyrant in 1000 point games. Has anyone has any success without a Hive Tyrant in their army?

Very interested to hear your ideas,

Thanks,

Bloodthirster

·
Registered
153 Posts
I cannot boast personal experience, but I remember a previous member of this forum who never used hive tyrants and still bragged about his army being undefeated. After seing his army list I belived him, and still do.

You'll need to use more warriors to compensate, and you'll probably benefit from making them cheap enough that you don't mind loosing alot of them during a battle. He used alot of warriors with devourers, schyting talons and perhaps enhanced senses and toxin sacs. He didn't use extended carapace, instead opting for keeping them in cover. He also used some warriors with leaping and pure cc. Personally, I belive rending claws will give more options, but he felt that more attacks did more (being str 5 with tox and making them even cheaper). He also felt that twin-linking the devourers was not worth the loss of versatility and increased cost of warriors, and even tho twin liking devs are wicked, I find myself agreeing with him.

I belive non-tyrant lists can be well composed, but the key will be keeping the warriors dirt cheap and versatile.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
I think a swarm can do well without a Hive tyrant. We can only ever use one or two of the things and they don't always win the game. I think Hive tyrants are good but they are also expensive. I would suggest in trying to decide what to use instead of a Hive tyrant you look at the glass as being half full instead of half empty.

Basically work out how much a Hive tyrant will cost you as if you were going to use one. Then remove it from the points value of your swarm and see how much points you now have to spend on other creatures.

·
426 Posts
Heck yeah it'll work! Though in my 1000 pt swarm list I used ONLY Warriors, Gaunts, a single unit of Stealers and Two Zoanthropes.

If you want to really bring the VANGUARD feel, go with the broodlord and three-four units of genestealers. A lictor or two to top it off, and maybe a zoanthrope for a little hard hitting ranged power.

I would be wary of mixing gaunts in because then you need synapse, but then you are depressed youre only running a few gaunts so you want to add more.... and then you lose that vanguard touch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah ha.

That is when the swarm evolves.

Eventually I would like a Hive Tyrant, but I am working up to it.

Definetly a Broodlord with 'Stealers and Lictor, but also possibly some winged warriors with gargoyles.

I am thinking of converting some a la page 78 in Imperial Armour 4: The Anphelion Project.

They look very cool indeed.

Bloodthirster

·
159 Posts
Hive Commander Bloodthirster

First anything based on IA - Volume 4 is great idea. Second, I've begun developing my swarm army and currently do not use any Hive Tyrants (not because I don't think they're valuable). As of right now I use 11 CC Warriors with rending claws (split into 2 HQ and 1 Elites choice) as my only synapse. As they are a more fragile than a Hive Tyrant, I usually protect them with my Sniperfex and Devilfex. Troops choices are usually spinegaunts and/or termagaunts.

A brood lord is a solid choice if you want to field genestealers, but I usually don't use the brood lord in only 1000 point games, since the BL nor its retinue can count as scoring units. I would be remiss if I also mentioned that I'm not taking into account any 5th edition rumors with this list; I'm only assuming you're playing with the current rules set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.