Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this is a similar topic to one that is very often discussed, but what kind of builds on a noble are good? with only 50 pts of items, i'm finding it quite hard to find a noble to put in a unit of 10 phoenix guard? is the reaver bow any good? or should i take something like armour of caledor guardian phoenix and a great weapon? I have an upcoming battle and urgent help is needed, :S
so your thought would be greatly appreciated.

·
Herman1004
1,266 Posts
As you're adding him to a unit of PG, you need to at least take a GW. PGs aren't the killiest unit we have and you need to boost it. Armour of Caledor is nice unless you use more Nobles and you want it on another noble. The Reaver Bow is useless unless you plan to not march, which you should to get where you want as fast as possible. I would take:

Noble
Armour of Caledor
Great Weapon
Gem of Courage

Maybe another magic item like ToP or something to top it.

Regards,

·
Registered
691 Posts
assuming your not giving him the Army BSB, which I believe the Noble is the only one that can do it. Specifically there are two banners more then 50 points in value which only he could carry, one of them being VERY good and worth of being taken.

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
Generally the (non bow) magic weapons aren't worth taking, and you normally only see the bows on nobles who ride eagles or something similar. The magic weapons just aren't worth it compared to a cheap always strikes first great weapon.

When I do eventually get around to playing, I usually run and Armour of Caledor, Great Weapon BSB in my Phoenix Guard unit. Relatively cheap, and effective. That leaves 25 points of magic items left over that you can spend on just about any magic items you feel like.

·
Registered
792 Posts
is it legal to give him armour of caledor, Guardian Phoenix, BSB and great weapon?
Since he doesn't have a magical banner he is able to have the Armour of Caledor and the Guardian Phoenix. To my knowledge, there is no rule which stops a BSB from carrying a two handed weapon. So, yes, that is legal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I usually run my noble with a reaver bow, GW and dragon armour and wedge him in a unit of lothern seaguard in smaller games, or a unit of spearmen in larger ones. I have found with his high ballistic skill he is great for wiping out fast cav and supporting my archers and bolt throwers.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's the thing, he's going in either,
lothern sea guard, or phoenix guard,
and I can't decide on which unit or which build.

·
Lord Admiral
2,608 Posts
Reaver bow is nice if you can avoid charge arcs and ensure you stay out of combat, as otehrwise you are watsing your weapon. This generally means a fast killy unit or a killy fast unit, one that can defeat units fast enough to catch it, but can dodge others...

If the Noble were in a SG unit, I'd give the SG unit a boost - Sword of Might, enchanted shield is also nice as it gives you S5 attacks and a 2+ save in close combat, whilst saving your AoC on something else.

Other builds include the mage Noble with dragon armour, shield, barded steed, lance, who can choose be a mini-mage.

Generally, Nobles on foot formula = magic bow or GW, cheap magical armour + a cheap talisman

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is the reaver bow worth it?
I could still take mask of the merlord for a 4+ save in combat?
is radiant gem of hoeth acceptable??

·
Registered
691 Posts
if the Reaver Bow is the one I think it is, it is 40 points, allows 3 S5 LongBow shots per round at the same target or different targets. In the hands of a Noble or Prince I would say it is worth taking.

If it's the one that costs 60 points, then you are essentially getting an extra bolt thrower out of it (S6, penetrating).

·
Registered
792 Posts
is the reaver bow worth it?
I could still take mask of the merlord for a 4+ save in combat?
is radiant gem of hoeth acceptable??
Reaver Bow + Mask of the merlord with handweapon, shield, heavy armor gives him a 2+ in combat.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm considering it.
as it would make a large increase in the sea guards shooting prowess.
in 3 turns he might kill 6 orks?
thats more then he'll slay in combat.

·
Lord Admiral
2,608 Posts
The major reservation is that a S5 high BS bow is gunning for a different taregt set than S3 bows BS4. You want to make each shot count so will generally aim S3 weapons at low toughness or low armour models. The Reaver bow can pay for itself and the Noble wielding it by taking out an enemy Heavy cavalry regiment or a difficult-to-hit enemy lone character or monster. The Reaver bow has greater synergy with Repeater Bolt Throwsers in terms of target profile, vs Long bows or normal bows, and I would use a Revaer Bow noble to baby-sit your war machines and pot-shot against the same taregts to break them quicker.

S5 = -2 Save - even Chaos Knights/Imperials saving on 3+, almost guaranteed to hit, and wounding 2/3 of the time - expected kills vs Imperial Knights in a single shooting phase = 5/6*5/6*1/3*3 = 0.7 models, against Chaos Knights = 0.6 models - if you get 5 turns of shooting against these guys thats 3.5 Imperial Knights or 3 Chaos Knights killed in a game - and 3 Chaos Knights is a reasonable return, of course the odds stack better when facing lesser armoured warriors (2+ save cavalry like Bretonnians or 4+ save cavalry like Outriders) or monsters, you can conceivably kill a Giant or Griffon with a Reaver Bow

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just finished modelling him,
he has mask of the merlord shield rever bow and a great weapon,
as he is a slaaneshi daemon noble though,
his reaver bow is represented by a ball of flame in his 3rd hand,
I'm rather proud of it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.