Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do Nobz mobz that take warbikes get all of the rules for warbikes? I.E. do they get the cover save, increase in toughness and increase in the regular save to the 4+ save instead of their regular 6+??

If so, then nobz on bikez combined with a painboy would be a pretty awesome combination. Sure, they are expensive, but toughness "5", two wounds, a 4+ regular save, 4+ cover save and then a 4+ feel no pain save makes them a tough unit to squash.

* I know that they would get either/or the 4+ regular save, or the cover save.

·
Registered
112 Posts
They are indeed a powerful unit. That much is true. The problem with them is that they still die just as easy to a powerfist and lose wounds just as fast to power weapons in CC. You need to be choosey where you send them, but in the right situations, you bet! They are indeed a phenomenal unit. They even get a nice invulnerable save if they take cybork. I know it is only a 33% chance of saving, but still...it is better then nothing. Still, the dice need to be more then horrible for them to last. I had a unit in the last game that did NOTHING and got takin out in one round of fighting. Stupid flamers!!! Even stupider power weapons and chain fists!!!

I think one of the best benefits out of the unit is that if a warboss on a bike joins the unit, he is that much more unstoppable!!!

I am a huge fan of the new codex in regards to Nobs and the rules that they get. I do wish that MANz would get a bit more flexibility, but alas, no love. Of course for only costing as much as they do, they are still a bargain in my opinion.

·
569 Posts
I'm enjoying the new Nob units, and though I've yet to try it I have a list that includes a group of Nobz on bikes. Though, after my last game I have become a fan of Nobz in a Trukk. For a similiar setup to my biker Nobz (without the bikes) I get 2 more Nobz plus the trukk for less. So while I will still try out the biker nobz, I am thinking I may stick with the Trukk Nobz more often.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I'm planning on using the nob bike unit with the pain boy in any games over 2K, under 2K though they are just to many points for my liking, however against the right opponent they could prove highly effective. The idea of multiple power klaws in a unit is deadily, and they really do have staying power vs other elite units in the game. I wouldn't plow them into terminators, however, I might consider throwing them against a 10 man marine squad most days. Figure when combining shooting + loads of str 5 attacks the Nobs could give the beakies a nice run for their money.

They are also perfect for killing devestators. Most marine players rarely take a power fist or power weapon in a Dev squads. So use the bikes to go right after them. Also don't be afraid to go after vehicles via assault. Str 9 off the charge is about as good as we can get. Don't be afraid of needing to roll 6's. With enough attacks you'll get lucky.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Eggs in one basket

Nobs on bikes, with cybork bodies, and at least two power claws total, accompanied by a warboss on a bike (with a pk, cybork and bosspole), and a painboy, is the single most brutal unit the orks can field.

The catch? It's also the most expensive unit the orks can field. All said and done, this will probably run about 700 points total.

Also, speaking as someone who's used 'feel no pain' quite a bit, I can tell you that it is by no means a guarantee. This force will still be shot down if it isn't kept behind cover, and it will still lose people to both monstrous creatures and other power klaws.

700 points is a lot of points for a single unit to make back in 6 turns. I'd certainly run them in apocalypse games, where the board will be littered with units that cost 500 points or more, but in a regular game, there's just so much damage they can do before they die, and if you keep throwing them against opponent after opponent in close combat, they will die. They may only lose four guys over the course of the game, but at about 100 points a model, that's a lot to lose.

·
569 Posts
In my game where I used the Nob Trukkers, I had a group of 8 Nobz, which included 5 w/ Slugga/Choppa, 2 with PKs and a Painboy. All had Cyborks (no Eavy Armour) and the 2 with PKs had a Bosspole and Waaagh Banner between them. The unit came to just over 300 points, not including the Trukk.

First turn they unloaded and charged a MC Daemon Prince and took him out while only suffering 3 wounds, saved 1 with the Cybork, so took 2 and had 1 dead Nob. They took 1 wound (after saves and FNP) in the following shooting phase, a group of 10 Chaos Terminators DS'd nearby and fired. They then charged into those Termies along with a group of 12 or so Boyz. All the Termies had PWs (no PFs) and Nobz took over 1/2 of their attacks and yet they managed only 1 wound, killing the wounded Nob and the 2 groups (mainly the Nobz) took them out, leaving me with a 6 Nob strong squad remaining.

After that I solely controlled the left 1/3rd of the board and went on to an easy victory.

Bikes wound have been good, but the added cost and less Nobz makes it tough, will have to try both types out a few times and see which I trulely like better. But nonetheless I have become a fan of Nob Squads! Oh, and this was a 1500 point game.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nobz wound question

Is it generally accepted that the number of wounds (1) listed for Nobz under the Warbikers is an error in the codex and that Warbiker Nobz get the same number of wounds (2) as in the fluffy section about Nobz and in the summary list at the back of the codex?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Do Nobz mobz that take warbikes get all of the rules for warbikes? I.E. do they get the cover save, increase in toughness and increase in the regular save to the 4+ save instead of their regular 6+??

If so, then nobz on bikez combined with a painboy would be a pretty awesome combination. Sure, they are expensive, but toughness "5", two wounds, a 4+ regular save, 4+ cover save and then a 4+ feel no pain save makes them a tough unit to squash.

* I know that they would get either/or the 4+ regular save, or the cover save.
Indeed they do. They are a expensive but very enduring and lethal unit who are very fun to use

Is it generally accepted that the number of wounds (1) listed for Nobz under the Warbikers is an error in the codex and that Warbiker Nobz get the same number of wounds (2) as in the fluffy section about Nobz and in the summary list at the back of the codex?

You treat them as having the same stats as Nobz therefore they all have 2 wounds. You don't lose a wound just because you get on a bike

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
No

Unfortunately if you upgrade a biker to a nob he only has 1 wound.

But if you upgrade the Nobz to bikers, then they get two wounds each.

GW will never admit any mistake in the fact that a biker Nob is the only Nob in the game that only has 1 wound.
No, this is wrong. All nobz have two wounds. Anything else is a misprint.

In every spot that nobz are listed, they have two wounds, and there actually is no listing of nobz in the main discription of ork warbikers. There's only one spot in the book, under bikers, where nobz have anything besides two wounds. In the nob description, and in the summary in back, all nobz have only a single listing. All nobz are the same. It's an obvious typo.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
True nuff

GW editors = /epic fail :D
It's true. Regardless how much time they take to made these codexes, they always wind up having at least a dozen typos/unclear rules in them. Who the hell are getting paid to edit them, and where do I apply for their jobs?

·
Tomb King
671 Posts

Dark Eldar have a very hard time against this kind of unit. My regular Ork opponent sometimes fields a Trukk Nob Cybork squad with 8 nobs (4 klaws) pain doc with 3 orderlies and a warboss. It's about 400 points.

The only counter I have is an equal points amount of wyches and my Lord. That's provided I can keep those two Raiders from being shot by the Death Kopta or the Lootas or the Rokkit Buggies or the Lobba batteries. But then there are two Trukk Boy mobs and a foot slogging unit of Sluggas right behind the Nobs. :0

Orks have always been tough for Dark Eldar to beat but now I'm not sure it's possible against a solid list and an experienced Boss.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Shooty

I would think that the main advantage Dark Eldar can use to combat orks with is range. With the exception of Lootas, most ork weaponry has at most 36in range, their rokkits have only 24in, and their shootas have 18in. With dark lances, a Dark Eldar player should be able to shoot down some of the more 'elite' ork squads, and trukks.

Against mobz, I'd converge all your fire upon a single unit with splinter cannons, disintegrators and such. The trick is that DE can't simply rush their wyches and lords in for the kill, like they normally do. Nobz and warbosses are simply too tough to outright kill like that. On the other hand, orks are susceptible to concentrated fire, and high strength weapons. Also, if you wait until the orks assault one of your units first, you can then rush in your raiders and counter-assault the orks to pieces.

All in all, I'd treat ork opponents the same way you combat Tyranid opponents, at least when playing with Dark Eldar. You need to shoot more, and assault less, or at least assault more carefully, if you're going to beat orks.

·
Tomb King
671 Posts
Well that all sounds good in theory but in practise is just doesn't work out that way. He holds static firelanes with Lootas and Kannons and a Lobba. Then he closes off the flanks with a screen of Rokkit buggies that protect his trukks. If I maneuver into LoS of the buggies or even manage an obscured shot on a Trukk (with my single raider lance) I almost always am in LoS of the Lootas or Kannons (with ammo runts) and they take down DE vehicles like nothing.
If I sit and wait for him to come to me I have enough firepower to kill the buggy screen but then the trukks are close enough to assault whatever they want. Basically he boosts 6-9 buggies and two or three trukks close to 24" in turn 1 and then it's just a quick 12" drive + 2" disembark, call the Waaagh! and an assault away from pwnage. Plus and shooting at the buggies means the slugga mob is just left unmolested marching up the field and even a slugga in CC is more than a match for a dark eldar warrior.

You're right though, treating them like nids is usually the way to go. I've been playing this Ork player for about 3 years now a few games every week. We're both fairly solid generals but I'd say he has the edge. We recently went to GrotsCON in Red Deer and the newbie Wych Cult player decimated the newbie Ork player soley on list/unit choices and making less mistakes. All things being equal though (both solid, competative lists and both good generals) the Orks should win everytime.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Hmm...

Well it's your army, so you'd certainly know better than I would, but I'm wondering if the problem isn't as much power, as it is customizing armies for specific opponents.

Most ork players don't run full units of buggies, as most 'shooty' armies can wipe them off the table without any problem, costing them a lot of points in the process. The way you're describing your opponent's army, it almost sounds like he customized his army specifically to fight Dark Eldar. Against armies that have tougher armor, more shots, or a stronger front line, his list sounds vulnerable.

Have you seen him use similar armies/tactics against other opponents? In tournaments, where you never know what opponent you're facing, balanced lists tend to outperform 'trick' lists that focus on only a single strategy to win. That's why I'm wondering if his list is consistent, or merely designed to defeat yours.

With the new codex, orks are quite possibly now the most flexible army in 40k. Dark Eldar, on the other hand, are relatively inflexible, as they have less units than most other armies. Hopefully the Dark Eldar re-release will come sooner, rather than later, and you'll be given more options for your army. It just isn't fair for an army to always have the advantage over another one.

To get this back on topic, Ork nobz on bikes are incredibly effective, but they're also incredibly expensive, and as it was mentioned before, powerklaws (and similar weapons) will kill just as easily as they kill everything else will. It all comes down to knowing when and where to use them. If misused, there won't be enough left in your army to make up the difference.

A personal example is when I used a team against nids, and they wound up getting assaulted by ripper swarms. I eventually won the combat, but it took several turns, and by then the nobz weren't able to help much in the battle. I prefer nobz in a trukk, myself. It's just as fast, and significantly cheaper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.