Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm looking around for models to use wood elves (particularly forest spirits) from non-GW sources as i don't want my army to look like everyone elses! I was thinking LOTR Ents for Treekin or treeman, but they don't seem to have much detail on them (the reduced scale and all) Privateer P. Circle orboros have somthing here, while I quite like Reapers Dryad for a Branchwraith here.

does anyone know of other lines to look out for, particularly ones available in Australia, and in shops?..

P.S. I know GW won't let me use them at their events...

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
as far as actual tree-looking models, you're going to have a hard time finding substitutes. For my Treekin, I use Reaper Werebears and Direbears. Look up "bear" under the reaper model search, and you'll see why. I found some of the coolest models there, and knew I had to use them for something.

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
Heresy of the utmost! GW is the life and fruit of this game. I don't even know you can consider even contemplating life without their excellent figures.

Anyways,
Dave, I trust you mean 11-09-07.
For those too lazy to check the links:

That guy is one talented sculptor. But for the Forest Guardian, great figure, but I think he looks too big to use in a game (for his base is my primary concern). As a Treeman, coooool centrepiece.

ED: also like to add that this guy heralds good news for Chaos players. Excellent Chaos Lords.

-AFG

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, i do like him a fair bit, but as David said, it would fun making a unit of 3 from them, given I don't really need to. I already have 6 'legit' treekin, and any more i need will probably be made this way.

If i was going to use a reaper style one off model, it's would probably be as a charachter, cos I'm one of those types who don't like repeats of the same model in an army...

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
Any word on how much it costs? (I'm going to be checking for a wee while)

I can imagine some Boxing Gloves on this guy:D.

Will let you know how much it is if I can find out.

-AFG

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Yeah, i do like him a fair bit, but as David said, it would fun making a unit of 3 from them, given I don't really need to. I already have 6 'legit' treekin, and any more i need will probably be made this way.

If i was going to use a reaper style one off model, it's would probably be as a charachter, cos I'm one of those types who don't like repeats of the same model in an army...
I had thought about doing the treekin from the tree models, but it seemed like a lot of work (painting is work for me if I'm not in the mood) and I already had a few of the bear models. So I went with them. I did however, use quite a few of their elf models for my alter kindred, spellsingers, waywatcher/scout units. They have some sort of elf guard models too. In fact, they have a wood elf king model that I think is totally awesome. Instead of using the arm with the hawk, though, I put one of GW's wood elf shields (came with the mounted WE Lord) and that came out really nice. I'll have to post some pics if I ever take any.

We should start a new thread about ~ getting the desire to paint glade guard. they are such a pain.

·
Ahhhhh....
1,233 Posts
Keep this in mind, Games Workshop uses 28mm scale miniature while Privateer Press uses 30mm scale. You will find their model to be ALOT bigger than the GW models... that 2 extra mm makes a huge difference when you put both model side by side for comparision.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
well, these are Reaper minis, not PP. And the Reaper site (as well as Miniature Giant.com) do a great job of showing good, detailed pictures and weight, so you can pretty much figure out the actual size. All of the Reaper figur minis I have used are a good match or better proportioned than the GW models. They all fit on 20mm bases, and only 1 has given me slight over lap, but he still ranks up perfect. If anything, ask Dave, he lives reasonably close to the Reaper headquarters (there in Dallas/grapevine, whereever it is) and has probably been to their Reapercon, and probably sees more of their stuff in shops then anywhere else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you really want to make some Treekin/Treemen on the cheap cheap, I think that you could have excellent luck using electrical/floral wire sculpting and probably green stuff or some other epoxy putty/clay.

Similar to the techniques in this article:

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php?mode=article&k=174

only modified to be animate instead of rooted trees.

I haven't tried this technique to create animate trees, but I have used it combined with hydrocal to make static trees that I thought looked pretty good even before foliage/paint.

Shaping the floral wire is pretty easy, and I think you could make some nice many branched/clawed limbs and some good, hoary looking rootfeet that you could then shape out with green stuff and some sort of imprinting tool, like a gnarled little rock or piece of real wood.

Not to discount the fine work that has been done with the citidel tree kit, but I think if you're already going to the trouble to sculp with the putty you could have just as good of luck starting from scratch and have an even more unique and interesting army.

When I finish with my 489180 dryads and the few store purchased treekin I have, I probably will try this project myself, but likely that will be 17 years from now, when my children are in college instead of needing their diapers changed all the time. Heck, maybe at that point they'll be willing to battle against my homemade treekin!

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts