Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Son of LO
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been thinking about vehicles, and I had an idea of painting them bare metal.. The trouble is, I think metallics over such a wide area look a bit wierd, and even if I had anything like the skill to do generic NMM across an entire chimera, I think it would look too reflective and shiny.. I don't want it to look like a thousand slaves have polished it daily.

Now, what I want is a kind of matt metallic effect, but I have abseloutely no idea how to achieve this without lapsing into looking like it's been painted grey. Can anyone recommend any tutorials/advice on how to achieve this kind of effect?

·
Registered
603 Posts
do washes over the metalics...

use browns and blacks to weather it.

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
12,108 Posts
If you want a matt finish then do not use ink as it is shiny and not what you are looking for. I suggest you look at a method close to NMM - mixing in non metallic paints. Here is what I mean;

For silver - Add in chaos Black for a dark silver, add in codex grey for a subdued silver shade; add in fortress grey and skull white for lighter shades - ie highlights.

This is a method I use with my dwarfs, although I do use inks but only to show the recessess and a final dulling glaze. Works a treat.

KU

·
Registered
65 Posts
Or you could try painting the whole tank - over a black undercoat - Boltgun metal, highlight the edges with mithril, and then thin down black ink 10 or 15 to 1 with water (add in a touch of liquid soap to break the surface tension), and glaze the whole thing with that. Dull down some of the "metallic-ness" of it, but as noted, will at this stage be quite shiny. But THEN - blast it with some matte finish. Matte finishes tend to really dull-down flake-metal metallic paints - especially Testor's DullCote - and will also remove any gloss from the ink.

I'd test a few of the different methods offered here out on some old models to find the "right" look you want, before beginning the big expensive tank.

·
Thread Killer!
2,686 Posts
Commander Y said:
Or you could try painting the whole tank - over a black undercoat - Boltgun metal, highlight the edges with mithril, and then thin down black ink 10 or 15 to 1 with water (add in a touch of liquid soap to break the surface tension), and glaze the whole thing with that. Dull down some of the "metallic-ness" of it, but as noted, will at this stage be quite shiny. But THEN - blast it with some matte finish. Matte finishes tend to really dull-down flake-metal metallic paints - especially Testor's DullCote - and will also remove any gloss from the ink.

I'd test a few of the different methods offered here out on some old models to find the "right" look you want, before beginning the big expensive tank.
This is excellent advice. I use the testors dullcote and I will agree that a flat varnish takes away the shine of metallics and really does dull them down. I have also found vallejo smoke an interesting "glaze" to try on metals.

Cheers,

-Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.