Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yeah im completely new to the whole warhammer 40k scene but im already starting out with my new army. im going to go pick up a SM Tactical Squad in a couple days and i had a couple questions about painting them. 1-do they need to be full assembled to paint or is it better to go piece by piece and then assemble. 2-i dont like the lines showing so should i also pick up some green putty. and just throw in some tips you can give me, any would be nice, thanks!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well by lines i think you mean flash lines. (correct me if im wrong) Just use a filer, you should be able to pick up some at a hobby store, dont worry about using g.s. ALso assemble them its easier as the glue can ruin a paint job. What army are you doing? If you need any extra tips just ask.

·
Registered
206 Posts
When I paint my tac. marines, i construct them all and then glue them to a strip of card, about 5 models per card. Then ill spray them with the undercoat and paint them about 5 models at a time. Example is, ill paint 5 models sholder pads white, then paint the 5 models armour. Its like a production line.

Also i found that the book, How to paint Cidital Minatures is really really handy. Helped me alot when i was stuck for what to do.

Gud luck with it all,

SB

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spongebob said:
Well by lines i think you mean flash lines. (correct me if im wrong) Just use a filer, you should be able to pick up some at a hobby store, dont worry about using g.s. ALso assemble them its easier as the glue can ruin a paint job. What army are you doing? If you need any extra tips just ask.
the lines that im talking about are like the lines between the arm and the torso, i dont want those lines to show, if they would that is, or between the legs and torso or any other lines like that. and for the army im doing ultra marines, i like their color

·
Registered
285 Posts
Oh, they don't accually show.. Because, everything has like a hole.. and the arms have armpads,

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
I've found it good to glue the legs, torso and head first. Then paint it all black (prime it) after that begin the actual painting.

It is important to have a good brush, good is not the same thing as small. It should be able to keep the paint and it should have a good tip. Treat it good and it will last a long time.
Next important thing to keep in mind, and I cannot stress the importance of this, is to use thin paint. Do not take it straight from the pot. I use a syringe and put a nice blob of water on my palette. Then I take some paint on the tip of the paintbrush. Then I make sure the palette is slightly leaning, not enough to make the water run of, just ever so little. Then put the paint above the water blob and add as much water as you seem fitting.

The thing with using watered down paint is that it does paint by itself in a way.
It will flow to cover areas in the same "hight" and it will not cover(hide) details like thick paint can do.
OK, you must paint a few layers, but it's well worth it.

Then it'll be time for shading and highlighting, but there are many posts about it already. Take a look around this forum and you'll find them.

Good luck and have patience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andusciassus said:
I've found it good to glue the legs, torso and head first. Then paint it all black (prime it) after that begin the actual painting.

It is important to have a good brush, good is not the same thing as small. It should be able to keep the paint and it should have a good tip. Treat it good and it will last a long time.
Next important thing to keep in mind, and I cannot stress the importance of this, is to use thin paint. Do not take it straight from the pot. I use a syringe and put a nice blob of water on my palette. Then I take some paint on the tip of the paintbrush. Then I make sure the palette is slightly leaning, not enough to make the water run of, just ever so little. Then put the paint above the water blob and add as much water as you seem fitting.

The thing with using watered down paint is that it does paint by itself in a way.
It will flow to cover areas in the same "hight" and it will not cover(hide) details like thick paint can do.
OK, you must paint a few layers, but it's well worth it.

Then it'll be time for shading and highlighting, but there are many posts about it already. Take a look around this forum and you'll find them.

Good luck and have patience.
a question about watering down paint, cant i just put water on a palette and then mix some paint with it and then ot have to mix straight from my brush?

·
Registered
171 Posts
burke1503 said:
1-do they need to be full assembled to paint or is it better to go piece by piece and then assemble.
There are 3 main methods here. Assemble fully them paint. Assemble partly, paint, then fully assemble. Paint, then fully assemble. You also get some nutters who paint while the parts are still on the sprue, but they're crazy.

2-i dont like the lines showing so should i also pick up some green putty. and just throw in some tips you can give me, any would be nice, thanks!
If you mean the lines where joints are, most of those will be covered by the paint. And the arms on marines are covered by the shoulder pads.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Sure you can. I do it this way just so I can control how much water comes to the paint.
The important part is to use water and paint, not only paint.
You find a way you like, that's the best.

Once again, good luck and it would be gret to see some pics of your painting. That makes giving advice much easier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andusciassus said:
Sure you can. I do it this way just so I can control how much water comes to the paint.
The important part is to use water and paint, not only paint.
You find a way you like, that's the best.

Once again, good luck and it would be gret to see some pics of your painting. That makes giving advice much easier.
yeah thanks for the advice im prolly gonna go pick em up soon like tomorrow but ill try to get pics up soon itll prolly be a lil while because i nit pick a lot and tend to be a perfectionist, do you have any tips for like like what if i get paint in an area i dont want, etc. do the GW stores in the mall usually carry the paint and brushes too?

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
If you get paint in the wrong place just erase it. Clean the brush, make sure it has much water in it and add the water to the paint before it dries. Then just wipe it of. You could use a piece of paper tissue or your finger. You might be able to suck the paint up with a dry brush.

One more important thing just struck me, paint one color and then let it dry. Paint another model in the meantime. This is to prevent involuntary mixing of colors.
Do not start again till it's really dry. This process could be speeded by using a hairdryer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Andusciassus said:
If you get paint in the wrong place just erase it. Clean the brush, make sure it has much water in it and add the water to the paint before it dries. Then just wipe it of. You could use a piece of paper tissue or your finger. You might be able to suck the paint up with a dry brush.

One more important thing just struck me, paint one color and then let it dry. Paint another model in the meantime. This is to prevent involuntary mixing of colors.
Do not start again till it's really dry. This process could be speeded by using a hairdryer.
alright cool thanks for the advice

1 - 12 of 12 Posts