Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently using a Space Wolf army but I have always liked the look and style of the Dark Eldar. But at the same time I have been afraid to use them, in my matches against them it was always a complete landslide for one side or the other, either I crushed them or they crushed me (more often I was the one being crushed haha). Wanted to get started on a Dark Eldar army and was hoping for some veteran DE input on what my list should look like for 1,000 points.

I do really like the Archon/Incubi combo but I do know incubi are tough to take in a small army due to high points, but if someone could make me an army that included some incubi I would appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Scourge Lord
1,638 Posts
I won't make your army list for you, but I can give some pointers.

• Incubi can be really useful in small numbers. One or two of them is often a more effective strategy in the end because you get your extra punch without breaking the rest of your army. Just fill in the rest of the retinue with Warriors (maybe even bring the squad up to 8 or ten models). This will ensure your Archon (and your Incubi) gets protection, and does not become a big problem since you're bringing enough CC power to severely cripple most targets.

Other than that, I don't know much about your army, so it becomes hard to give specific help. But your goals should be:

A. Bring as much firepower as you can and hit the enemy with all of it in a key location. That means you need to devise a strategy where your superior speed and high offense will give you a clear advantage. Splitting up the opponent's army is a good way to do this. Setting up objectives or maneuvering so that the opponent has to split up his forces allows you to speed right in on the weakest flank. The remaining forces are now out of position and will be less of a threat to you.

B. The harder goal is to keep your fragile units alive for the length of the battle. With LOS being what it is, you need to rely on outranging the enemy or dividing and conquering. Night Shields can often help with the range strategy, but they are expensive so that's up to you to decide. Divide and conquer is as above, but also don't forget about using the most out of your terrain. Forcing enemy units through difficult terrain (or around impassable terrain) can be the key to victory. Also, always seek out large terrain that can fully block LOS so that you can use it as a protected jumping point for your offensive.

In general though, your games with DE are destined to be cakewalks against some armies and really rough against others. It's just the nature of how they've aged since 3rd edition. My final suggestion is therefore to not worry about wins and losses, but instead to try and always make the games fun to play and to watch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts