Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Something I have been wondering about recently. I've been gradually building up my army and am at the point of looking at warmachines to help give me some ranged punch.

The issue I can see with the idea is Line of sight. With the amount of troops we field how do you actually make use of the warmachines? I honestly can't see how I can get enough LOS to make them useful.

So what do you do??

·
Registered
316 Posts
Easy answer - find a hill.

You get to place terrain at the beginning of the game - drop a hill on each side, then use the one you get - being on a hill lets you shoot over all units, friendly or otherwise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, risk there being that you give them a hill to do the exact same thing to you... are there any suggestions that don't involve giving my enemy an advantage as well?

(sorry if that sounded harsh, but am looking for an option that doesn't involve helping them too)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Fact of the matter is - if he's playing ranged (warmachines, w/e) he'll (likely) just drop the hill(s) anyway, so you're 3 possible outcomes are:

1.) 2 hills, 1 for each.
2.) Only one player gets a hill.
3.) No hills.

If you're playing more shooty than him, get hills on the board - him more than you, try to stop hill drops, or place hills out of deployment zones - if you're even, it's up to you. There's no surefire way to give yourself an advantage that you're opponent can't also (potentially) bring to the game - alot of this is dependant on what you're opponent brings to the board. The closest you can come to an outright advantage is to make the playing feild fair (1 hill for each) but bring ton of warmachines (meaning you'll get more out of that hill than most opponents will get out of theirs).

Hills aside, try setting your machine(s) far off on one flank or the other. The angle will let them see alot of units right up untill close combat ensues and they've got enough range to hit most of the board.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Play the Angles.

Let's say your at a tourney and your on a board with NO hills (gasp). If you deploy your (assuming because they are the most popular) Bolt chuckas towards the back of your deployment zone your units will take away much less LOS than if you place the Chuckas directly behind the unit.
To illustrate this effect hold your hand about 1 inch in front of your face. Unless you a flounder, and have eyes on the side of your head, chances are all you will see is your hand. Now hold your hand at arm's length. Unless you have a hand the size of a tennis racquet you will see much more of what's beyond your hand.
Now combine that with carefull placement of units so tthat you leave some lanes for LOS open and you will have much less of a problem with LOS on flat ground.

I hope I helped with my explanation. Sorry but I don't ahve time to draw illustrations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.