Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, during a fit of insomnia, I passed the night thinking of unit configurations that had as a common theme the nature of being 'odd', or impractical, or too pricey. Some got my interest, though, almost to the point of actually assembling them as such. So, lets list them, and see what you guys think!

Jumpjet Veteran squad
This is a vet squad where they all take terminator honors, and buy jumpjets, and two lightning claws each, and infiltrate, and an attached Chaplain [litany of hate]. YIKES, huh? Not too sure of the legality of this, like if only the seargent can buy wargear, or if anyone with terminator honors can. But what a cool visual image I got just picturing this squad... as expensive-or illegal- as it may be.

The 'whats HE doing there?' Unit
This requires the trait 'scions of mars', and is an assault squad, without jumpjets. Maybe plasma pistols, flamers, whatever, but the kicker is: Seargent in Terminator Armor [for a mere 15 points!]... just because it would look awesome. Another confusing rule thing is here as well, as the assault seargent has to buy termie honors to buy termie armor, yet the armor says you dont need to pay for honors if you take the armor, as its included. hrm. Confusing. So, either +15 or +30 points for a big boss. With nasty weapons added, of course. And that brings up another question, regarding modelling it: Since this terminator armor doesnt come with assault cannon or powerfist standard... then what do I use for its arms, without them looking silly/flimsy?!?

PlasCannon Devastator squad
4 plasma cannons in a dev squad, with a techmarine attached. Why?? the Signum, of course. Everyone would love so many hard hitting blasts templates every turn, but worry about the overheat rule. Well, The Signum lets you reroll 1 missed to hit roll each turn, either that the techie shoots, or ayone in a unit that hes attached to shoots... so.. you get to reroll those 1s that come up [hopefully only a single 1 each turn!], and.. if I understand the rules in this correctly, avoid overheating much more than normal. [not sure if the reroll lets you bypass the overheat rule or not]

Mini Emperor
Librarian Epistolery: Artificer armor, Iron Halo, Adamantite Mantle, Jump Jets (angel wings, obviously) [100 points wargear= max]
Powers: Fear the darkeness, Vortex of Doom

The most horrific thing imaginable to face, that is still wearing pants like the rest of us. From IC status and 2+/4+ saves, to deepstriking, to 18" assault threat, to fear the darkeness cast while within combat, forcing a fallback/massacre [can you do that?] to instakill force weapon, to "no save allowed- just BEGONE!" vortexes... to... well, you get the idea. If I could have squeezed in a familiar as well, (I=6), I would have.

So, as you can see they are pretty unusual units. And point cost was not really a factor, more their 'display appeal', and yeah, unusuality of seeing it on a shelf somewhere. It was a late night last night, and what got me to these units was elbowing my way around the SM codex list and upgrades options, elbowing so as to get to a corner that maybe most havent been to before. But, you see, elbowing around the fringes of unit options gets me into many grey areas, as all of the units have questionable rules issues involved with them.

So, lets discuss these, how maybe I got the rules wrong, or how to improve on some of the concepts, to describing your own unusual units. Whatever. No matter what, This could/should get interesting, yeah? :happy:

·
426 Posts
Sweet ideas! But the Vets can't all be equipped with special weapons. Something I learned right here on LO, actually. Term Honors doesn't give full access to the armory.

I've actually toyed with the Techmarine Heavy Weapon team, though I was leaning more toward the
3x Gun Servitors w/ Heavy Bolters
1x Plasma Cannon Servitor-- where the re-roll shot can go with the Signum.

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
PlasCannon Devastator squad
4 plasma cannons in a dev squad, with a techmarine attached. Why?? the Signum, of course. Everyone would love so many hard hitting blasts templates every turn, but worry about the overheat rule. Well, The Signum lets you reroll 1 missed to hit roll each turn, either that the techie shoots, or ayone in a unit that hes attached to shoots... so.. you get to reroll those 1s that come up [hopefully only a single 1 each turn!], and.. if I understand the rules in this correctly, avoid overheating much more than normal. [not sure if the reroll lets you bypass the overheat rule or not]
This is a pretty cool idea. Only if it where modified with the following grossly illegal, but super awesome addition: Instead of the techmarine, or a veteran sergeant, why not mount a signum to each plasma cannon. Now that would be a cool way for space marines to complete with chaos guys all having a close combat weapons - what if every space marine had a signum for a gun sight.

·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet ideas! But the Vets can't all be equipped with special weapons. Something I learned right here on LO, actually. Term Honors doesn't give full access to the armory.
Bummer about that. I'll have to elbow elsewhere for super assaulty units (chaplains command squad coems to mind, but my chappie has a permanent jump jet on his back.. thats just sooo awesome!)

I've actually toyed with the Techmarine Heavy Weapon team, though I was leaning more toward the
3x Gun Servitors w/ Heavy Bolters
1x Plasma Cannon Servitor-- where the re-roll shot can go with the Signum.
That is actually a unit I already have, with an added Lascannon Razorback to move them around/ block LOS to guys I dont want shooting at this unit. And it certainly rocks! [bs4 servitors?!? the Tau player in me is disgusted with that!]

But the problem with the servitor squad... is the 4+ armor save. AND majority toughness issues [making the techmaring T3 if theyre all caught in a blast/big round of shooting]... both things that I was made aware of the hard way. Thus, the Devastator squad, where it may cost more, but you get what you pay for, as the saying goes.

Now that would be a cool way for space marines to complete with chaos guys all having a close combat weapons
Theres a Trait that Space Marines can take to let them swap their bolters for bolt pistol and CCW for free... lets see [flip flip] there it is! "take the fight to them". Then there is also the Assault squad as is, with the point saving option of no jump jets. Plenty of chaos choppy that way. But with more modern special weapon options. hmm

new one:

More chaotic than Chaos
Army traits: Take the Fight to em + No mercy, no respite
10 man Tactical squad. Heavy bolter [>autocannon], Plasmagun. all the rest Bolt Pistol, CCW, Frag Grenades
Seargent: Terminator honors, Pair of Lightning Claws
Skill: Furious Charge

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Mini Emperor
Librarian Epistolery: Artificer armor, Iron Halo, Adamantite Mantle, Jump Jets (angel wings, obviously) [100 points wargear= max]
I might have missed something somewhere, but marines get a max of one relic/special piece of wargear such as the mantle or halo, so you'd only be able to get one of those.

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
Mini Emperor
---------
If I could have squeezed in a familiar as well, (I=6), I would have.
I might have missed something somewhere, but marines get a max of one relic/special piece of wargear such as the mantle or halo, so you'd only be able to get one of those.
Darkreever is right; I guess you can fit in that familiar now.
Termie honors, a pistol or some kind of additional close combat weapon, frags, and melta bombs wouldn't hurt either.

·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, ok, I never noticed that limitation before.. I always thought it was 1 of each, not 1 total per army. Fair enough. As for additional weaponry, I was flipping through the codex, looking to see if the force weapon was a two handed weapon or not, and never got any solid info on that, so assumed it was.

·
Toy Soldier Aficionado
930 Posts
Just the other day I saw one of the most absurd things I think I have ever seen. A space wolves player equiped a Long Fangs squad with 4 Lascannons. Now remember, it is a squad of 5 guys with 4 Lascannons (That is a rediculous 248 points in a 1000 point game). Turn one I fired a demolisher cannon at the squad, hit right on, and kill it, talk about a point sink on turn 1!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well, ok, I never noticed that limitation before.. I always thought it was 1 of each, not 1 total per army. Fair enough. As for additional weaponry, I was flipping through the codex, looking to see if the force weapon was a two handed weapon or not, and never got any solid info on that, so assumed it was.
FW is a power weapon with additional rules, and power weapons are one handed weapons unless specified otherwise.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Just the other day I saw one of the most absurd things I think I have ever seen. A space wolves player equiped a Long Fangs squad with 4 Lascannons. Now remember, it is a squad of 5 guys with 4 Lascannons (That is a rediculous 248 points in a 1000 point game). Turn one I fired a demolisher cannon at the squad, hit right on, and kill it, talk about a point sink on turn 1!
How close were you to be able to fire the cannon, doesn't it have a fairly short range (for a cannon anyway.)

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
how about this for a 1000 point game as a DA player just field like

5 lasscanon razorbacks
and
12 heavy bolter razorbacks

that exactualy 1000 points or you could go crazy and just field 20 heavy bolter razorbacks
I think that DA can "only" field up to 17, so the second choice wouldn't work. You also have to include at least the minimal cost of the squads.
2 Command Squads
3 Vets
6 Tactical
3 Assault
3 Dev

·
Toy Soldier Aficionado
930 Posts
To answer Darkreever
He set them up 10 inches from his table edge, then proceeded to move them forward 6 on his first turn. I set up my demolisher 10 inches in aswell, moved 6 inches, and shot them. We were playing on a 48inch table.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
He moved longfangs? Moving infantry based heavy weapons towards heavy armour is just asking for them to be killed, must have been nice, being handed about two hundred victory points...:C

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
Jumpjet Veteran squad
This is a vet squad where they all take terminator honors, and buy jumpjets, and two lightning claws each, and infiltrate, and an attached Chaplain [litany of hate]. YIKES, huh? Not too sure of the legality of this, like if only the seargent can buy wargear, or if anyone with terminator honors can. But what a cool visual image I got just picturing this squad... as expensive-or illegal- as it may be.
Two words for you: SHRIKE'S WING. All with honors, all on jump packs, all with claws, all with infiltrate AND scouts, all with frag and krak grenades, and led by Shrike, sporting rites of battle, mastercrafted rending lightning claws, frags, meltas, and 3 wounds.

Yeah, it's legal. And yeah, it's exactly as scary as it sounds, especially when there's two more furious charging assault squads racing up right behind it! With a Chaplain along for the ride, it becomes (IMHO) the single most lethal assault unit in all of 40K.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Shrikes Wing is quite nice, but very very fragile. One damn battle cannon and 685 points are instant dead. Shrike is powerful, but do not have even a simple 5+ invulnerable save in CC. If Shrikeswing attacks it's devasting, but if something hits back with poweweapons or something like that they are as good as dead. They are only worth taking if there's a lot of cover.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.