Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know I know its Of Wolf and Man but . . .

Anyhow heres my question:

Is it worth adding beastmen to a mortal army?

I was thinking about using the Gors and Ugors instead of Marauders, out front.

I'm just starting up on Fantasy and am putting together a basic army, probably nurgle..

Here's what I have:
1 lord o nurgle mounted
2 heroes
Chariot
6 knights
3 Trolls
Marauder Horsemen (box)
Box o' Warriors
Box o Beastman herd (Gors &ungors)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I have thought about using a beast herd as a screen for some of my more expensive units. Warhounds work ok for this but it will take longer to go through a herd as there are more of them and they are skirmished thus making them harder to shoot.

I have also used dragon ogres because they are cool and kill lots of stuff. I have a unit of minotaurs but am yet to fit them into an army.

·
Tabletop Terraformer
1,405 Posts
TwoSwords said:
Is it worth adding beastmen to a mortal army?
ABSOLUTELY!!! :yes: Units from the Beastmen list add great new elements to your tactics and unit choices.

Beast herds are excellent skirmish units (since they get the benefits of skirmish units, they're good fighters and they get a rank bonus!), they're good a holding flanks against other skirmish units and light cavalry. They also make perfect flank attack units, since they've got a 360-degree arc of sight and can move through difficult terrain without penalty. However, remember they don't negate ranks but do give the +1/+2 flank/rear bonus (as long as there's 5 or more of them).

Aside from Beast herds, you also have all the special and rare units from the Beasts book to choose from, meaning you can have Minotaurs (awesome), Dragon Ogres (also awesome), Ogres (when heavily armoured, they're very tough), Centigors, Trolls, Giants and the incredible Dragon Ogre Shaggoth! There's a unit there for every tactical eventuality!
Lurch said:
I have thought about using a beast herd as a screen for some of my more expensive units. Warhounds work ok for this but it will take longer to go through a herd as there are more of them and they are skirmished thus making them harder to shoot. .
Beast herds, while at first appear to be good screening units, aren't the best value for points for a screening unit. Admittedly they are skirmishers and the Ungors do die first, but Beast herds are good combat troops and for a minimum unit can be quite expensive.

A minimum Beast herd (with no upgrades) costs 55 points, but can't take much damage and is quite likely to run after taking a few losses from shooting. Their only other advantage is that they can screen a wider area if you spread them out fully (although then, more enemy units and mages can shoot them).

Warhounds on the other hand, cost only 30 points for a minimum unit. They die as fast as anyone else and will probably run too, but who cares, they're cheap! (and there'll probably only be one or two left anyway).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts