Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Been lurking for a bit and liked what I saw. I figured I'd make things official and register, so here I be...

I'm a definite GW fan but 40k is by far my game of choice. I got started in the hobby when I moved to my current location and was poking around town for a paintball store. I managed to find one that was also a miniature/lan party/ccg/rpg store. :wacko:

I saw a bunch of cool looking miniatures on the wall and noticed a couple guys standing around a table rolling dice. I asked a couple questions and they politely explained the basics of 40k while they played. I recalled some friends in high school talking about it awhile back but since it wasn't directly related to blowing stuff up on my computer or mindlessly punching buttons on a video game controller, it didn't register as something fun to do in my american teenage mind initially. But after watching the games play and looking closely at the superbly detailed figs, I thought I might give it a go. I sold my paintbal marker and bought a starter box, a few blisters, and my very first codex.

I noticed, after conversing with the gamers, that most of them played marines, and since I wasn't much on going with the grain, I decided to play dark elder.

I enjoyed assembling and painting my first box of warriors. It was difficult and time-consuming at first, but after i got about 750 pts together I went back to the store and tried a game with the owner. He insisted I played him first because he wanted to walk me through the rules and whatnot himself.

The most memorable turn was one where my (horribly painted) lord took down his dreadnaught singlehandedly in just one assault phase. The rest of my force was unfortunately decimated leaving just the lord against a couple rhinos and this immense walking machine which came charging in to wipe the board of my army. Things weren't looking good up till then and I was questioning my choice of armies until I rolled amazingly for the assault. With the better initiative and selection of wargear, my lord managed to ultimately stand on the crumbled remains of the warmachine he just destroyed with a well-placed grenade.

Even though I certainly lost the game (he had no chance against the rhino's storm bolters) I was hooked forever. I have since sold my dark eldar and moved on to other forces. I have about 1850 pts of Necrons and thinking about IG and maybe Blood Ravens.

I especially love the backstory of the game. Even though I rarely have time play, much less paint, I still manage to devote my attention to the hobby. I love reading the fluff in the codices and some of the Black Library novels plus just seeing whats on the net.

Anyways, I came across LO when I was looking for some info for army ideas for IG and after wandering around the site for awhile, my interest was piqued.

And that, as they say, is that.

P.S. Sorry bout the length and all but since this is an intro section, I figured put some in some thoughts in along with the required "hi"

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
hi, welcome to LO!
Nice intro, its interesting to see people coming into the hobby at an older age! have you thought of giving Warhammer Fantasy Battle a try?
See you around the boards!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome! Actually, my first introduction to GW was a friend showing me some Bretonian pics. I got real close to starting but, alas the funds were not there. I still love the models that come out and I may start an army but prolly not anytime soon...
See ya

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
A paintball store and a miniatures store? Where at?! Best invention ever. :yes:

Welcome to LO. I hope you enjoy your stay and such - make sure to read the rules, and be courteous to others, and I'm sure you'll receive the same treatment.

Check out the Clubs & Clans forums for some fun/interesting groups of people to chat to, for some offtopic stuff. We even have a Paintball clan, if you want to dig deep enough for it. ;)

Enjoy your stay!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lost Nemesis said:
A paintball store and a miniatures store? Where at?! Best invention ever. :yes:
Yeah, he's certainly got an idea going there. It's just a shame that central Illinois isn't the best market for something like it to prosper. The really nice part about it is that when we get burned out on one thing, we can switch over to another. The problem is nobody seems to get burned out on WoW.:wacko:

later

·
The Uncivil Servent
900 Posts
Hi and welcome to LO i'm glad to hear that we piqued your intrest, one of our mods should be around shortly to point you in direction of the rules but until then i shall welcome you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts