Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i've just started my IG army, and i've been building it so i can play with it as soon as possible. So i've only really painted my:
Command HQ (with Colonel)
Infantry Command
2 troop squads
Armored fist squad
(and i can borrow my friends Chimera until i get my own. Its on my list...)

So basically i only have the bare basics. So what should i get now? I play against Tyranids mostly (only really), although there is the possibilty to play against Chaos and other IG.
Any comments would be nice...

·
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kindof looking for a "must have" unit. I have a Leman Russ Battle Tank (although not painted) Also a Basilisk (half finished fixing it. The git who sold it to me had wrecked it cannon, i built one from scratch. I also have 3 sentinels (also not painted).
Also any tips against those armies would be nice.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Here's what I would get:
All the mortars you can get your hands on!

But heck that's me... I mean it's good to have guess range weapons so that buidings and all that don't have to hinder your shot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should also get a sguad of Sentinals. More useful than you think if you play them right. Also a Hellhound would prove useful against the Tyranids and Gaurd. Storm Troopers with Plasma, Meltas, Flamers and such can drop behind enemy lines and take out Chaos or Gaurd tanks or even Hive Tyrants. You do definatly need a tank. I perfer the Vanguisher because it can take out other vehicles easily with the AT round and use the normal shell against infantry.

·
Registered
454 Posts
A basalisk would be a nice inclusion :D ! And alot of tanks and stormtroopers!

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
Basilisk alot of infantry Leman Russ Exterminator and maybe some Grey Knights in power armor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Leman Russ Battle tanks, in my opinion are the best Leman Russ types. They have a huge range and they fire directly, unlike the Basilisk (Basilisks can fire directly, but they get destroyed when they're in site). The demolisher cannon only has a 24" range so thats almost impossible to use because you have to slog your troops up with it to support it and it gets blown up before you can use it. So a strength 8 AP3 Ordance at 120 points tops is good enough for me any day.

Stormtroopers are great, they can infiltrate, deep strike, they have a 4+ save instead of 5+, they're sergeant can use equipment from the armoury and they can have 2 special weapons. They also have a higher BS than a standard guardsman.

Sentinels are good too, S6 AP6 multi-lasers are great if you believe in the Law of Averages, they've helped me knock a few SM's before. I've even had good experiences charging Sentinels into CC with SM's.

Mortars are good if you're playing enemy with bad armour saves, other wise, take Autocannons and Lascannons. Armoured fists squads are incredibly useful, but rarely does their chimera survive to carry them around.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hate to disagree with colonel killmore. I know he is V. experianced guard player but my regular oponent is a nyd, and I can tell you a hell hound is a poor choice. Nyds in synaps range never fall back, even if they would normallly be forced to do so by a hell hound etc. Next turn the survivors are going to rip your hound apart.

Same goes for morters. Synaps creatures are imune to pinning test.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well rarely 'nids will fall back, just poor lots of fire into them. Template weapons are good unless the 'nid player spaces his models apart, which is a very smart thing to do against people with template weapons.

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
One of the IG's most overlooked strengths is in it's masses of heavy weapons, buy lots and lots of Autocannons (My personal fav), Lascannons, Missile launchers and at least three Heavy Bolters for use in a fire support squad.

It sounds like you've already got a few tanks so I would get a couple of chimera's and put a squad Ogryn in one of them.

My personal experience with Mortars has been that they blow unless you are playing another IG army, however, at my store I play against marines over and over and over.... and they are worthless against anything with decent armor and toughness.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.