Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've played MtG, but I've had thoughts about coming back. I played years ago, when I was a kid, and I thought I had a decent deck. I know it probably needs an overhaul by now, but I thought maybe you could take a look at it and help me out a bit.

Plains Soldier deck: 63 cards

4x Leonin Den-Guard
2x Daru Cavalier
2x Daru Stinger
2x Auriok Bladewarden
1x Elite Archers
1x Enlistment Officer
1x Standing Troops
1x Pearlspear Courier
1x Loxodon Punisher
1x Staunch Defenders
1x Noble Templar
1x Gustcloak Sentinel
1x Taj-Nar Swordsmith
1x Auriok Steel Shaper
1x Gustcloak Harrier
1x Deftblade Elite

2x Loxodon Warhammer
1x Ivory Cup
1x Bonesplitter
1x Neurok Hoversail

2x Arrest
1x Force Bubble
1x Ivory Mask
1x Samite Blessing

2x Topple
1x Vengeance

2x Hallow
2x Unified Strike
2x Raise the Alarm
1x Piety Charm
1x Scent of Jasmine
1x Radiant's Judgement

19x Plains

So... feel free to start tearing this thing apart. I know that I should probably work on some redundancy, and try to get multiples of the more useful cards in place of some of the other fillers that I have. I was hoping to create a boost/token style deck, that would (ideally) flood the field with cards, then power them all up over time. My friend's Squirrel deck was partly my inspiration.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
What format of deck are you wanting to create? If you want a standard legal deck, I'm afraid it rotated out long ago. Even extended has lost most of those cards I'm afraid. However, since you ask nicely I'll do what I can to put together a fun soldier token based deck that's currently in standard.

24 plains

4 Captain of the watch
4 Conqueror's pledge
4 Martial coup
4 Elite vanguard
Either 4 veteran armoursmith and 4 veteran swordsmith
Or 4 kazandu blademaster and 4 makindi shieldmate
4 rhox pikemaster

And your choice of some sort of buff/removal suite. The martial coup works quite well as a mass removal spell as you end up with a horde of minions too, which can attack for nasty amounts if you have a captain ready to play too. I know there are a fair few rares in there which will make it a tad pricey but there are other cards which will do a similar job if you need them to.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean when you say that many of my cards have "rotated out"?
I know that in L5R, cards are often removed from the game for the sake of balance. I wasn't aware of the same thing happening in MTG. I just dropped about $50 on a Black/White Cleric deck. I'm going to be rather ****ed if I find that my cards have since become illegal...

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
In competitive Mtg there are various formats that include various sets, limited, standard, extended, legacy and vintage are the most common with each type being played with more sets. Legacy is (I think) the one with fewest restrictions and has very few, if any banned cards and can contain any cards from any set. At the other end of the scale, limited uses just cards from a certain block/set. Standard is one of the more common types played, including sets from the 2 most recent sets and the most recent core set, at the moment that's M10, shards of alara and zendikar.

So my first question here should have been: What are you using this deck for? Competitive play or casual "kitchen table, anything goes" games?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Another card you're going to want is honor of the pure and if you can find any Elspeth

Cards rotate out after the 2nd set after it is released

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.