Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking I may at last give in and make a space marine army. I want it to be a bit different though. To try and help this I'm doing a drop pod army (something I'm sure alot of you have seen but I've only seen 1 drop pod at my local store).

The main thing I want to change though is the armour. I'm not overly keen on the current armour, mainly the helmets, but love the look of the ones in the pic on page 4 of the previous codex. The ones which kinda look medieval. I was wondering if anyone had links to any other pics of old armour, or had done a conversion project themselves.

·
Ogre Tyrant
921 Posts
hey dheorl,

You might want to have a hunt around for an item that GW did (still might do?). They had a pack which had one of almost every mk, of power armour they had produced. Obviously don't buy your army like that, because it was REALLY expensive for 5 models, but that would be a good way for seeing what there is out there somewhere.

Your best bet for assembling a force of older marks of power armour is by endlessly trawling ebay, but obviously thats going to be really difficult to A: find models that are all the same mark, and B: because they're old nearly all of the older ones are going to be painted.

At the moment i'm building an army of purely Mk.2 power armour.... let me tell you - its SO expensive. I recently went to a gaming fair not to far from where I live and was over the moon to find 12 Mk.2 power armoured models completely unpainted. I had to pay £50 for them. If someone knows that what they're selling is extremly rare or hard to get hold of then its always going to be more expensive. Alot of people want to look at building an army out of non-current models. My advice would be to build a small force to play with from the current range, and then slowly begin to replace them with older models. That way you're not paying hundereds of pounds to build a 1000 point force just to begin playing. You might decide that actually space marines aren't for you, and having spent all that money it'd suck!

just some friendly advice :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well depending on how much the differ from the current models, I was planning on converting rather than buying old models. Thats why I was wondering if there was any artwork or diagrams and things with the older armour.

I've found an image of what i think are the models you mentioned here. I was kinda thinking of helmets like the second and third ones from the left, and then legs without the kneepads. I figure I could quite easily mould a set of new heads out of modelling puty.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well depending on how much the differ from the current models, I was planning on converting rather than buying old models. Thats why I was wondering if there was any artwork or diagrams and things with the older armour.

I've found an image of what i think are the models you mentioned here. I was kinda thinking of helmets like the second and third ones from the left, and then legs without the kneepads. I figure I could quite easily mould a set of new heads out of modelling puty.
I've made a few units like this myself. I've always wanted to make an army of them, but I always get sidetracked or just dissatisfied with them.

My advice is to make them out of plastic Space Marines, Dark Angel/Black Templar upgrades and Fantasy bits. The plastic commander/command squad is also useful, as are some of the extra bits from an Assault Squad and even Chaos Space Marines. For Mark 1 helmets (the one on the far left) use an Imperial Guard Cadian head, either make the visor yourself or use the one from the heavy weapon squad. The little top knot piece can be found as an extra in the Chaos Marauders sprue.

You can find all these bits for sale separately on eBay.

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
The heads you're looking for can best be found in the Chaos Warriors box, just remove the horns. As for the legs, you get bunches and bunches in Tac squad sprues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.