Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever thought about creating a resembelance of Omaha beach for a table top? It would be great in a bunker assault mission. You could set up towers on one end with a few ways to get up and then have almost no cover for the attackers.

I'm not sure if this would work out to an even game, but I guess scenarios could be made or customized to accomidate this sort of idea.

If anyone has done it, how has it worked out for them?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Actually, Omaha wasn't even so why should this be? Let the defenders have all the obstacles, mines, bunkers, and big guns they want. But give the attackers Sustained Attack and Prelimenary Bombardment.. and a special rule, Continued Bombardment. At the begining of each turn (I mean like Turn 2, Turn 5, not Marine Player's Turn 2 or Ork Player's Turn 5) roll for EVERY unit, bunker, and vehicle (or vehicle squadron). On a six they are hit, use the ordnance template, roll for scatter.. you get the idea. That SHOULD make it about right.

·
Sorcerer
1,532 Posts
Last gamesday (UK) there was a D-Day landing type board. it had the little boats and bunkers! It was such a fun battle, with the chaos defending (with traiter Imps) and imperial forces attacking! it was great!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had made a similar design to "Omaha Beach" with a SM Vs. I.G. game. The defenders bieng I.G. . The bunker set-ups were based off of a German SS book called "Mein Ehre Heisst Treue" , which gave a detailed design for 3 diffrent sea-wall bunkers. We used cut styrafoam for concrete structures, connecting trench lines and smaller "pillboxes". Toward the rear we added gun emplacemnts for the IG artillary. In the first battle we used rhinos for landing craft, but later discovered their low front armour value stopped them too short on the landing point. Later we did a "controlled smoke barrage" to give them an advantage upon landing. On a seperate table we did the uphill battle with a series of DA scouts in order to knock out gun positions. The only major down fall in the "fun value" was that when the marines hit the trench lines, it was over for the defenders. While when the I.G. played attackers they lasted about 2 seconds in CC after bieng whittled down by sustained fire from the DA defenders. Later we deduced that 1. air support was needed for IG. 2. IG Vs. IG would have been better(or maybe orks). 3. Mines, obstacles, and anti-hull down structures have way to much neg. effect on the attackers.

We have also done an Arnheim bridge battle (operation Market Garden), TET offensive battle(Vietnam war) and a number of N. Africa tank battles(assault on Sidi Geghi, open field meat grinder mission(desert terrain), and tank hunting with Maxamillian Weismann's Baneblade.)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Originally posted by Aristotle Jones@Jun 20 2003, 17:36
Has anyone ever thought about creating a resembelance of Omaha beach for a table top?
I have made a Omaha Beach inspired terrain piece, it not exactly like the beach head but the bunkers and trenches resembles the ones on Omaha. Because it got very big I didn't make it like valley but as a plateau instead.

Here s a picture just before I finished the construction. The model itselves is 90 x 60 cm

·
Registered
156 Posts
JEEBUS!!! how the hell did you make that?? :blink: simply mind boggling. The architecture and everything.

Just wondering will it stand alone as a bunker assualt or something, or will you have about 3??

·
Registered
485 Posts
Originally posted by Spike_alike Posted on Jun 21 2003+ 10:14--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spike_alike Posted on Jun 21 2003 @ 10:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>How you gonna go about painting it?[/b]

I have started painting the thing, it is almost finished. Gravel has been added to the roads and small pebbles has been added in the area in front between the bunkers. Unfortunatly I don't have any pictures of it as it is now. Large parts of it is painted as rock, the bunkers and trenches between them are ofcourse concrete and the open area behind the bunkers are grass (not flocked yet).

Originally posted by -baros Posted on Jun 21 [email protected] 20:15
JEEBUS!!! how the hell did you make that?? simply mind boggling. The architecture and everything.
First of, the whole thing exept the 'base' is made for expanded polystyrene (the white bubbly kind) The modular base is made of styrofoam. The bunkers was made seperate from the piece itself, and fitted into the terrain as I went along. For the bunkers and the trenches I used 10mm thick sheets bought from a hardware store. For the rest of the terrain I used pieces from the packing of a TV set.

<!--QuoteBegin--baros Posted on Jun 21 2003
@ 20:15
Just wondering will it stand alone as a bunker assualt or something, or will you have about 3?? [/quote]
When I started making it the idea was to use it in the strongpoint mission, so it was meant as a stand alone. Besides the model is quite large, so more of them wouldn't fit my table lol. The guys I play with and me has judged that the main bunkers count as reinforced buildnings instead of bunkers as they are to big to be destroyed, the objective bunker(s) are located behind in the open space (they were added after the pic was taken)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Got a digicam today so here's a little update on the last picture. As you can see it's not quite finished yet. Still some painting to do and flocking.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Originally posted by Dragonslayero@Jun 27 2003, 13:03
About how big is the whole thing there?
The edges measure 90 x 60 cm

·
Registered
485 Posts
The whole thing is modular based so a beach in front could be possible in the future

·
Registered
379 Posts
OMG Belial, That's an awesome terrain piece! That Inspires me to do something creative, like maybe a large bunker with gun emplacemens, i got a few spare multilasers that could become lascannons at a moments notice. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.