Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey you guys!

Needing a way to collectively show how I'm progressing with my painting and this was quite obviously the best choice by far instead of putting new posts up for every single thing I make.

There will be some work in progresses along the way too, only so I don't clutter up the board, and to make things easier for me to keep track of where all my pictures are because there will be a lot as I'm sure you are aware of how I work...

This is my sexy predator (at least I think so) and my armies color scheme has been adapted to this one, instead of a random array of colors, using dawn of war and putting in my colors there this is basically what came out, I added bits here and there because I felt there wasn't enough yellow with how DOW sold me...

I put the chassis together a lot better than anything else I've made, removing all mold lines I could find, and making sure everything lined up as perfect as it could before glueing, the only issue I've found is one of the lascannons join has a bit of a gap in it, but I'm thinking about replacing it with those fancy dragon heads that come with the sprue anyway, so not much to worry about.

Also trying to paint a little better than I have in the past, trying to keep my lines nice and smooth and generally not over-layer it. the yellow needs layers, I know you can see the black through it, but I like the way it looks, or else I wouldn't have sprayed the entire thing with black...

The backdoor has a section thats not filled in, I'll paint it yellow soon to match the DOW one, and there is details on the cannons and then the spikes.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update!

The predator here has been sitting very dormant for quite some time, waiting time and time again for a splash of paint, and although the basics were done weeks ago, I decided this morning was the time to get some real painting done.

I've gone over the turret with silver as you can see, I wanted two separate shades, but as it turns out my silver is so watery that it wouldn't coat the barrel after so many tries so I went straight to the boltgun metal for that, and problem solves, cleaned up a bit of the excess around the front and side, and also details on the roof (which you can't see, sorry) but altogether I think it's coming along well with the rest of the stuff that I need to be painted, among which is my possessed soldier for the horror competition, and the rest of the army needs their armor highlighted.

The back door was custom made by the way, the one from DOW was actually like the original door but I ruined it with my hobby knife so yeah here we are...
I'm just so happy that this one isn't a complete mess like my other rhino, and the colors are nice and flat enough not to enrage everyone into hating me :)

More updates when I paint the highlights of the tank tonight (hopefully).

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Very good, buddy.

Have you experimented at all with the foundation paint series? The yellow in particular would really help when you're applying paint over black. It will prevent the black from showing through.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
I suggested that, Rabbit, and Duane said he liked the black poking through the yellow and didn't want to change it. To each his own, I suppose. I very much agree with Rabbit, and would love to see you change your mind on this one, bud.

Tekore
Omg, if you're going to leave the black showing through, then you should consider a brown or yellow wash over the yellow portions. It will deepen the color and soften the black a little.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I got paid today so I'll have to see if it fits into my budget, I need a lot of supplies today, even the basics like glue and spray paint.
If those paints cost the same as citadel ones then I'll give it one shot for you guys ;)

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update for the Predator!

I know that the rest of my army still has a lot of work to go but the predator is just too sexy to resist working on!

Here are some more painting, after trying highlighting on the tank for the first time, it came out badly at first but practice makes perfect!

It all speaks for itself I think, so I'd be wasting words writing about it, all I have to say is that the last step is adding spikes to the front and top and then its done :)

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh lol! i was looking at the pictures of the predator for a picture of a butt and there just wasn't one.
thats chino from the deftones, hes been there watching over me for quite some time now :)

Yellow is fun to paint, its been good practise.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I've begun doing small bits of painting, mainly because for now the ork fort has had plenty of attention, and after playing against myself for lack of opponents I know in this area, I've discovered that even with a small 750 points of orks they completely slaughter my chaos forces every time without fail.

I figured that maybe I should be putting more attention into them instead of the pathetic forces of chaos and first on the board was the kommandos and mega nobs.

The mega nobs have been in a sort of limbo for quite some time where I just felt they were done well enough to forget about, but today I felt the need to just do that extra bit more, I went over small parts of the armour with a darker metal color and added more color to the overall nob.

Seeing Mega nobs in WD, they tend to be almost completely colored and leaving very little actual metallic parts on the model - And I like the look this has as fully metal models means I might as well have left them as blister packs all glued together.

The kommandos have been entirely black for so long now, I bought them quite a while ago, the same day I bought the Rule book, spending quite a lot of money that day that it was scary.

I didn't really know it at the time but the models are really cool, and although I don't get the full purpose of Infiltrators within the ork army, I sort of keep them back and wait till the enemy are in combat then move them forward.

The way I tend to paint is one color at a time (its probably what a lot of you do) and just go over every model I can with that color and move on and on till its all done, then go back and clean up the tiny details when I'm happy with the basic look of them :)

Kind of tossing up how I'll scheme the kommandos because they are supposed to be kamoflazed (I know how to spell it, I was just typing it orky), So maybe this is my turn to try doing an army scheme or just try some sort of pattern over the model... any ideas would be good.

I'll have more painted models within the next few days, having just put together my ork army again, I'll be painting them over the passing days and as I said, hopefully there will be a lot of them ready to show off here in time without too much disappointing.

EDIT:

As you can see this is the pred, still got some spikes to add to it, I'm slowly working around all my projects but I think tomorrow a large portion will be spent on the mek fort as I want that baby finished :)

The kommandos are coming along nicely too I think

Sorry for the crummy pics, they looked a lot better on the cameras screen than they ever do on the actual computer. I'll update more and better tomorrow :)

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The paints pretty thin, trust me, It just must be how it looks, the tubs of paint are like 50% water if not more... My black is like 90% water cos I'm trying to save every drop haha!

Here is the finished predator, missing a bit of paint here and there and the spikes need to be colored but other than that it's finished :) Spikes won't take long to paint once I get down to it but I have a lot I want to get done today so it might not be in the cards.

C&C welcome

UPDATE
10/02/08

I know I've been neglecting this thread too, its far overdue as well.
I got a lot of painting done of my chaos guys, all of them, not just the ones for the tourney, while I played soulstorm in between.

I went over the yellow once more, about 5 layers now, more for certain models, the blister models don't take to the yellow anywhere near as well as plastic, I wish missile launchers and lascannon havocs came in plastic, its a million times easier.

Anyway, I went over the yellow, and the detailing on the legs a few of them have been done, there isn't many with details on their armor left anyway, just the havocs and a few spare marines, I also made the bolters and most of the other guns mythril silver, putting on extra detail later, and fixed the shoulder armor of the terminators so they look more evil.

The yellow/silver didn't work too well for them I think and there was a lot of detailing I didn't do considering they've been one of the longest guys I've owned.

I will have photos as soon as the cameras batteries are charged.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Update! 11/02/08

Just some pics to show what I mentioned in the last post.

These are the termies, I didn't put the lord with them because he had a painting accident and hes not up to standard, these guys are nowhere near done.

Havocs got a bad picture, I took 4 pictures of each group of soldiers and none of the havocs looked good in them, I would take more now but the camera has rechargable batteries and they are on their way out so they take hours to charge for only half an hour of photo time or less...

These are just regular marines with bolters, I given a few of them bayonets made just from the knives in the chaos sprue.

These are the plasma toting space marines, The guy in the middle is an aspiring champion.

These guys, although you might not be able to see it are bolter conversions, I ran out of real bolters and only had bolt guns left so this was the best I could do, just glued a chainaxe head to one, lengthened all the barrels and some other small details.

Any comments on the scheme so far? I don't know how I'll paint the guns, maybe just a little bit of black and some boltgun metal drybrushing, but I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
hehe i love this one

the guy on the end looks kinda like "did my sword just talk?" lol it probly did anyway

anyway, nice work

what i suggest is more colors, just a bitta gold here and there, a few white skulls and so forth;Y keep it up man

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In NO way are these guys finished, just silver and yellow for now, I don't like the look of the gold I have and the plan was to just have black armour over most of it... with highlights of course.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Picture Heavy Chaos!

I've been doing not AS much painting as I've wanted to with the ork buildings being made and everything else in life going on, but I cut off the tiny spikes on the shoulder pads of my space marines, because they never take paint well and it spills over and looks sloppy no matter what, and painting like 20 layers of yellow over one drop of black is more trouble than its worth.

I also added some cloths that will have runes written in chaos on them, and maybe even carve chaos letters into their shoulder pads directly of the rest of the army, as a sort of devotion to the dark gods.

Reading the chaos fluff about the chosen of abbadon has given me a few ideas about how evil a chaos soldier should look in his prime.

anyways here we are :

I don't have the time to go into any details about these guys, but the "disciples of destruction" gave me the ideas for the chest... piece? As mentioned, they will have chaos runes written across them, and maybe symbols too... whatever I think fits the feel of the model.

and my personal favourite

I like this guy the most more for his pose than anything else, I want to get him painted first and take this photo again from the same angle just to see how menacing a space marine should be.

Hope you all like, I just started a new job and I'm absolutely killed from it I don't feel like any painting but if I get any done, you'll know.

UPDATE 31/03/08

So here is the terminators I've been doing, I chose not to over-do the colors yet, because I really like the painting nice and clean and simple. I think personally they look great how they are, the arms are a little off because of the old glue still there they don't sit as nicely but It's not looking all too bad.

I think they still need some un-purity seals to complete the whole idea, but that wont be for a little bit yet.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Defiler

The defiler I want to give a personal name like I've seen some tournament armies give to their squads or certain units, still unsure of what though but here is what I've done so far...

Last night while going through pictures of said tournament armies I realized that under that ugly face plate that goes around the battle cannon there is a regular plate I could use.
So I scraped off most of the battle cannon and used some 1/2 inch plastirod I had lying around I wanted to use for such things and it just so happened to fit perfectly over the old barrel, feeling a little un-interesting I added the chaos arrow and the rings around the barrel were to keep the sides of the arrow down without gluing the whole lot down, wasting glue and uglyfying my barrel.
The spikes also I think look perfect and its a nice fit, it reminds me of a traitor basalisk I've seen before on the forums. The original idea was to have the thinner spikes run all along the arrow and around the rings but I didn't want to spend all my spare bits being cut up for one barrel...

This is the barrels fixture, the two spikes were intended for use on the end of the barrel but I didn't like that they didn't curve around the barrel enough to fit nice so I scraped that idea and put 2 there and 2 more on the torso behind the head.

The legs, at this point I'd like to remind everyone that this isn't done yet, I will be going back and cleaning up extra paint and doing some boltgun metal dry brushing later on, the legs have 2 coats of mythril silver, the first didn't completely cover and the 2nd was quite watered down to get into all the gaps and make it smoother all over, worked nicely I think.

I'm having trouble with the shining gold, no matter how thick I put it on it never seems to actually COVER an area and sort of blotches it everytime, so they may require more layers later on.

Under the chassis, this is a big deal for me because last time I was too lazy to paint ANY of the chassis at all and I'm amazed how much cooler it looks because of it.

From below of the chassis/torso, not much to say here.

From the side, standard shot.

Isometrical view I believe.

Last shot of the side, I'm really happy with this all and its looking as evil as I've always wanted, I scrubbed for hours to get all the old paint off and I must say I'm thrilled with the product so far, Obviously much more cleaning to get done but thats all in good time and the next step for me will be to paint the barrel and a bit more on the torso before the final clean ups are done.

The claw guards at the front and shin guards on the legs will have a yellow inside them, the old scheme ended up having almost the entire torso yellow and it was too much, I liked the scheme because the tiny bit of yellow I've been using has been just right and too much makes it look weird...

So thats it.

C&C please guys?

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
D,
comparedto your marines, this defiler is like 100% better. The colors are crisp with defined edges and the new moded gun I love. (don't forget to erase the pencil lines on the paper or card.)

Not sure if I replid with this before or not, but, i am doing a grey SM army ( revilers) over a black primer. they also have yellow on them, and I found if you put grey on the black first, then a few coats of yellow, the yellow won't show so thin and the color will be well blended and not show paint marks.

try this on one of your shoulderpads or on a section of the prdator, see if it helps.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts