3x viper w/ 2xshuri

# Elite - 130
5x harlies +seer +jester

# Troops - 268
5x Dire Avengers
wave serpent w/ tl shuricannon +shuri cannon
4x jetbikes +shuri cannon

so that's 125 strength 6 shots each turn. ^^
pretty insane, tho ofc there will be a few things that just cant be killed (e.g. land raider), i'd be interested to see how the average army stands up to that many strength 6 shots.

the other downside is that just HS and FA is £300 of models :bulgy-eyes: and right now i only have 6 walkers and 2 vipers. i'm not quite willing to pay that much to see if it's fun heh.

:qq:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Its ...ok.

I dont think itd do well considering most marine and IG armies have tons of lemon russes, vindicators and predators.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heh well the vindys and preds are side armour 11 arent they? so the vipers should be able to get up and take those side shots to keep them at worst shaken, if not blowing bits off.

trying to go toe to toe with IG is generally a bad idea these days, so that will probably need a plan b rather than just trying to blow everything useful off the table. at least their troops etc will still be vulnerable, but i'd definitely need 1st turn and a wee bit of luck heh.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Yeah they are side armor 11. But some (usually most) turns you have to shoot at front armor. Sorry man you are just going to need a few missile launchers or lances. Put them on twin linked serpents or something. dont want to miss the whole time.

Going toe to toe with IG isnt that bad of an idea. From what ive seen mech guard is really brutal, and noting is really vulnerable. THe only thing appears to be has 3 twin linked las cannons.hahah

·
Registered
101 Posts
if you dont want to pay $300 or euro for the army why dont you find someone to play and ask them if they want to play you while you proxy some models to try out an army build and get some random stuff and say it represents so and so model.
Thats how i came up with my final army lots and lots of proxy games.

Also you might want to get good anti tank like fire dragons in transports with lances so your list will work well because those 100+ s6 shots will shred lots of infantry but then you will get mauled by tanks. And going around to someones rear or backarmour is very difficult they will shoot you down if they see you trying to do it or they can be a dick and keep moving back and trurning their tanks so they only expose the front or they will just have another tank set up to block another tanks side armour and also use terain and table edges to block their weak armour and so on depending on set up.
I do see one potential anti tank, maugan ra is s6 so if you get a rending hit that makes him s12 plus D3 to penitrate so he can get a penetrating hit on AV 14 and kill it if im not mistaken.

·
Registered
350 Posts
heh well the vindys and preds are side armour 11 arent they? so the vipers should be able to get up and take those side shots to keep them at worst shaken, if not blowing bits off.

trying to go toe to toe with IG is generally a bad idea these days, so that will probably need a plan b rather than just trying to blow everything useful off the table. at least their troops etc will still be vulnerable, but i'd definitely need 1st turn and a wee bit of luck heh.
The best thing you could do for this army is run an Autarch or two. Keep all of the Vypers and Warwalkers (maybe just everything) in reserve, and use the reserve bonuses from the Autarchs to get as much on the field during turn 2. The Warwalkers can flank to get some rear shots on Russes and such. The Vypers can go for side shots if possible. Might consider Scatter lasers and shuriken cannons on them for that though. While not initially in range for a full volley, the SLs will give you a longer reach.

Also, as far as price, remember that Vyper kits don't have the underslung Shuriken Cannon in it. Only the Shrieker jetbike kit does. Some of the bitz stores may have them though. And there is always converting the SC with the kit. I just like the look of the metal cannon.

Anyhow, my advice is to drop the Harlies, up the Bike and Avenger count, and replace Maugan Ra with two Autarchs. One on bike and one on foot (for with Avengers).

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
humm.. played a game with this list vs ultras.

pitched battle, capture control. i deployed everything cept the bike squad and just tried to blow the marines off the table.. and was a little surprised by the results.

i took down 3 razorbacks and their respective squads, 2 vindicators, a predator and 4/5 termies. all the marines had standing at the end was a landraider (boxed in by vipers so couldnt move) plus pedro and 1 termie locked in assault with some walkers. my casualties amounted to 7 walkers, 2 vipers 2 bikes and 3 harlies. that works out as 2 kill points lost, to 9 taken.

i'd grouped the 9 walkers together so they took quite a bit of fire, while the spread out viper squads moved fast to take side armour gaining a cover save and making them much less inviting targets. i maybe got a little lucky with quite early weapon destroyeds on the vindys (tho they were quickly immobile as well) and some wiffing from the lascannons on the land raider, but it was a comfortable win had it ended on turn 5 or 6 as well as turn 7 when it actually did.

if i can find points for a lance on the wave serpent that's probably a good idea, but then i sort of like having won without the ability to kill the land raider. :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
IMO the anti-landraider is unnecesary, in an objective game at the worst it stops yo from getting an objective and in ahnihalate (sorry for bad spelling) it is only one kill point. No matter what people say, that many shots wounding on twos is going to kill things (it would be fun to playest against orks lol).

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aye, and the new nids might find trouble with it too if i castle up. :D

i could swap maugan out for a melta autarch and swap the bikes for another wave serpent. there was a point where the bikes could have run off the table if i failed leadership, tho tbh it wouldnt have mattered if they did and maugans ability to deny cover saves did help hurt those vindys. the bikes basicly did nothing all game.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
aye, and the new nids might find trouble with it too if i castle up. :D

i could swap maugan out for a melta autarch and swap the bikes for another wave serpent. there was a point where the bikes could have run off the table if i failed leadership, tho tbh it wouldnt have mattered if they did and maugans ability to deny cover saves did help hurt those vindys. the bikes basicly did nothing all game.
Don't be to sure about that castling up, DSing nids might and will mess that up. The mawloc will break formations and open it just enough to give serious pain. Not saying they're unbeatable, by far just be carefull with overconfidence;)

Though I'd love to try it out with the new nids, would be fun:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.