Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I have decided to create a tabletop game of our own called Genesis, just for kicks. we have created an introductory paragraph thus far. We will be posting further updates soon as we create further background information, factions, rules, etc. Please leave any opinions, suggestions or even criticisms!

Introduction - Welcome to the Genesis Universe….

Genesis or in its simplest definition “creation” is an element in which every piece of matter is composed of down to the molecular level whether it’s living, organic or non-organic. Genesis is a miraculous substance that can be broken down into many different, complex sub-matter categories that take on new characteristics. As the organic and none organic beings started to materialize and evolve in the Genesis universe and become more intelligent they started to finds ways to extract pure Genesis extract from beneath every planets surface. Eventually, these organisms began to discover Genesis’s different properties and unlock its true potential. Of course, each of these races discovered Genesis and began conducting research and experiments at different time periods throughout the last millennia. Thus, some races have created miraculous technologies, such as those to enhance their own organic tissue with cyber kinetic materials or produce advanced computer systems to enhance their already automated bodies. Other races who weren’t gifted with incredible, but doable intelligence have utilized their time to expand their empires and create mass populations on countless planets instead of just capitalizing and dedicating thousands of years on advanced research and technological advancements. There are even simple races that have no idea what true capabilities Genesis posses. However, they solely look to find and consume Genesis which allows their extraordinary anatomy to be composed of more complex molecules granting their bodies astonishing attributes. Every race within the last 15,000 years have accomplished breaking Genesis down into various sub-categories of matter that can be utilized to enhance almost any aspect of any given material. Granted many races have successfully begun to research and breakdown Genesis for the greater good of their society, Genesis is not easy to control. This is when E.G.B’s (Evolutionary Genesis Beings) are utilized. E.G.B’s are seen as ultimate beings to every living, organic and non-organic being. They and only themselves can contain and control Genesis in its pure state. No machine or developed piece of technology can manipulate Genesis in its pure form. It is not know why and how these being came to exist but every known race has one E.G.B for roughly every 5 million beings in existence. Within the last 10,000 years these races have developed ways to travel thought the Genesis universe, leading to great wars sometimes caused because of conflicting beliefs, corrupt anarchists, or a sheer lack of remorse. However, at the core of each conflict is one simple intention….claiming, collecting and harvesting Genesis with E.G.B’s for the greater good of each races society. Who will you help succeed in the great evolutionary race for the remarkable yet, highly complex element that is know as, Genesis.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Hey there - welcome to the forum!
Seems like a pretty cool idea you've got going here. I've kicked around a few designs myself, so I guess starting from what I know would always help:

1. What kind of game are you making?
The background fluff seems pretty cool, and you could go just about anywhere with this. Is it a skirmish game? It almost sounds similar in scope to something like Necromunda or Mordheim (from a Games-Workshop background) where you play linked missions and search for resources to improve your troops over time, sort of like a strategy RPG.
Is it a bigger wargame, more like Warmachine, Warhammer Fantasy or 40k? Lots of guys on the table at once?

2. What's the core mechanic, core components?
Are you using dice? Cards? Both? If you're using cards what kind? I've seen a handful of games (CAV, for instance) that use a regular deck of 52 playing cards as part of the components, to determine the turn sequence and stuff. It was different, but I wouldn't necessarily say better. Are you using printed cards like M:tG or Warmachine? Will you measure with the cards like you do in Infinity, XWing, Wings of War?
Is it a board-based game like Dust Tactics, or tabletop like Dust Warfare? They each have their advantages. Board-based makes it easier to write movement rules and you can somewhat regulate the surfaces that people will be playing on. Tabletop allows more creativity on behalf of the players, and is cheaper to produce because you don't have to worry about sending boards to people.
What scale will you play at? 15mm like Warmaster, Epic, Flames of War, or Dropzone Commander? 28mm like Warhammer, Infinity, Mercs, Kings of War, or Malifaux? 32mm like Kensai? 50mm like Inquisitor?

3. What makes your game unique?
I've just listed off 20 different games. Why do I want to play yours instead of those? What's the hook? For Warmachine it's the "brutal 'Jack fights" and the whole attitude of the game. For Fantasy is the sheer scale of what you're playing. Flames of War puts you in command of entire divisions of soldiers in WW2 or through their expansions, Vietnam.
I almost want to take this idea and hide it away from the prying eyes of the internet because I think that it would be license to print money - but your game sounds like it would actually make a really solid version of a table-top MOBA similar to League of Legends. The idea that the EGBs are the player-avatars, and their constituent races are their minions.

Your background work sounds pretty good so far. If you ever took this above and beyond the friendly or maybe even print-to-play sphere and put it into wider production you'd probably want to get yourself an editor, just like any writer. And on that note, some reasons why I've failed to get any games into production:

1) Make sure it's unique!
You might not be the first person to have the idea, but make sure that you do it with enough flavor to make it truly your own. Kings of War is barely managing to rip Warhammer right now, almost blow-for-blow. They're not going anywhere fast. Meanwhile, Privateer Press came out of right field with something awesome when they made Warmachine, and now they're pretty well cemented as being second only Games-Workshop in the market. You can have a similar idea, similar game, similar system and everything - to another game. Just make sure you give people a good reason to play yours instead, because people are lazy - they're going to stick with what they know unless you give them good reason to switch.

2) Don't rush
Playtest everything into the ground. Get people outside of your circle to test it for you. This will help make sure that there's interest in the game, but also make sure that you're not overlooking something just because you always intended for it to never happen ("It doesn't say that I can't take this route over here, pass go twice in my turn, and collect $400 plus interest from the nearest player to my left..." "That's not how you play Monopoly!", etc).
Don't rush the rules, don't rush the background writing. Don't rush the art.

3) If this is getting published, get connected
If you publish, you'll need an artist, and get ready to bleed for them. They're usually pretty expensive. If you're going miniatures, you'll need a sculptor and guess what: they cost even more. Plus you'll need a distributor unless you want to do all the insane legwork yourself, and you might want to submit your game to sell rather than keep. Cash once in is sometimes better. If you finish this thing and start going big, look at going to cons and the like to promote your game and get connections.

4) Familiarize yourself with some other games
Picking and choosing from a wide background of games is awesome. My first really deep attempt at a game was pretty much a players vs. deck card game based on Dungeons and Dragons, and mechanics from another co-op cardgame that I'd played. I did a lot of the legwork on the game, got everything written up, started working on characters, planned a huge deck of cards for everything, and was honestly talking to someone about getting artwork done... and then realized that they already have a Pathfinder card game exactly like it. More importantly, in the time since, I've realized that there's so much more I could do with the idea based simply on other games that I've started playing. Really cool mechanics from absolutely goofy stuff like Frag'd or Ticket to Ride. That's for a board/card game, but do the same with miniature games if you're going that route.

5) Be persistent
I was helping a guy in Australia to work on a really, really cool miniatures game idea. We worked out an awesome background, and he had the artist from the videogame Braids to work on the rulebook. I was writing background mostly, and helping with rules on the side - mostly the literature stuff. I was getting concept art in my inbox almost daily. Anyways, the guy started looking for a producer for the miniature sculpts, and everything quickly went into the $2k+ range. No miniatures without a serious down payment. Alright, he'd Kickstart it. Couldn't get backers. I wasn't willing to try, because I didn't want to put my neck on the line with handling the money etc. Eventually it just died out. We all just gave up and the whole thing dissolved. I still own my share of the background I guess, and it's gotten wrapped into other things, but the key is to just keep going. If you hit a wall, keep bashing your head against it until you figure something out. Don't give up when work slows or seems like a dead end. I have a few times, and it's always what kills a good project.

Aaaaaaaaaaand sorry for the super long post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what i finished typing up last night...
One note, i don't plan of making this game big at any time it's just a shits and giggles project i thought would be fun but seriously thanks for all the information!

Understanding genesis
- Genesis in its pure form is so complex that the most technologically advanced race conservatively estimates they have unlocked 5 percent of its total potential. The reason why Genesis is so difficult to understand is because of how many different particles are located inside of each Genesis atom. Imagine it like this, there are trillion’s of “doors” to get inside of the atom and once past the first “door” there are trillions upon trillions more sets of “doors” leading farther into the Genesis atoms complex structure. Opening these “doors” allows the extraction of a specific sub-matter particle from which a material can be created. As more “doors” are opened further into the atom the more complicated and complex the sub-matter particles become. More difficult and complex sub-matter particles have more evolutionary advancement potential associated with the material it creates. So in turn, more technologically advanced races have opened more “doors” in Genesis atoms allowing them to innovate with more complicated materials. However, if the wrong Genesis “doors” are opened in succession the Genesis atom “locks” all of the other “doors” and only sub-matter particles with their “ doors” already opened can be extracted. So in theory there is a specific path of “doors” that must be opened to unlock Genesis’s true potential. Many Millennia lie ahead before Genesis’s secret is unlocked…….

How do E.G.B’s utilize Genesis on The battlefield?
- E.G.B’s always carry pure Genesis into combat. The reason behind this is because they can utilize Genesis at any point during a battle and manipulate it into any material they know how to “unlock”. They can enhance either their or any other beings attributes, technological automations, armor, physically enhancing organs, etc. as long as they can create the material used. However, there is a limit to how much Genesis each E.G.B can manipulate at one given time; some E.G.B’s can manipulate more, some can manipulate less. “Genesis Core Potential” or G.C.P is the term for this limit. Manipulating and maintaining large amounts of pure Genesis is very straining on each E.G.B’s Genesis Core. Which is the miraculous organ that allows E.G.B’s to manipulate Genesis in the extraordinary ways they can? Once an E.G.B is killed the Genesis Core self-destructs. This also happens immediately if the Genesis Core senses it is removed from its host body.

From a game stand point it will be a tabletop game just like warhammer, but with far fewer models. A large game would be around 15 models. Models will have much beefier stat lines than people are accustomed to. A standard game turn will start in the "action point phase". Each unit is given 3 action points, they can use these to move, shoot, charge, throw grenade or capture objective. they can spend all 3 points in any order they want. Example: move, shoot, shoot. or move, move, charge.
E.G.B's will manipulate genesis to "evolve" themselves and friendly units on the battlefield. Example: an E.G.B could use 2 genesis to enhance his armor by manipulating his pure genesis reserves and then manipulate 3 to enhance the rifle barrels of a squad next to him and increase their range. There would be a limit on how much he could use per turn and how much he could use per game (the "genesis core comes into play here to back up the reasoning behind it.) I am also working on a couple pages in the rule book that will designate how much genesis an "evolution" costs and what it does. A also want there to be way to reward the player for capturing points, killing units, etc. They would be called "progress points". Each unit would give a certain amount of progress point when it is killed to the enemy player. (the stronger the unit the more it could give). Then the player could spend those points to call in reinforcements, artillery strikes, biological weapons, etc.

That's all i have for now. please comment with feedback, opinions and ideas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts