Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm going to litter this forum with some questions.

I haven't really played any battles yet, just stubbornly been painting, and painting, and painting some more, going with the notion of finishing all my Tomb King models before I put them to the test on the field of battle.

Today it struck me - what if I've gone for the completly wrong models, what if I have too little of that - too much of that?

A quick calculation puts me around 5000p when everything is finished, which I'm far from at the moment.

I think my 'list' is a decent all-round list, not too defensive, not too offensive. You tell me what you think, and with that I mean you who have played a lot and got the feel for the Tomb Kings.

Please note that this is just a rough list, it's more a question of troop choices and not as detalied as magic items and whatnot.

Here's my models:

1x Khalida
4x Tomb Princes/Kings
5x Liche Priests/High Priests
2x Icon Bearers

25x Skeleton warriors, handweapon & shields, full command
20x Skeleton warriors, spears & shields, full command
30x Skeleton archers
15x Skeleton heavy horsemen, full command
5x Skeleton light horsemen
3x Tomb swarms

20x Tomb guards, full command
5x Chariots, full command (prince in chariot for 2 groups of 3 chariots)
4x Ushabtis
2x Tomb scorpions

1x Bone giant
1x Screaming skull catapult
1x Casket of souls

(I'm thinking of adding 5x Carrions, and possibly add one more SSC)

Any hope for me?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Umm.... Im a fairly new player but here are my suggestions...

• Screw the skellie spearmen
  • Give archers poison arrows
  • Add some Carrion for war machine hunting and a quick unit
  • Get another SSC
When you Deploy try and put your SSC's on hills where they have good line of sight.

Hide your Hierophant behind hills or even have the bone giant standing infront of him to guard him.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Yea, youre ok army wise. Except as above, lose the Spearmen for HW/S or more bows. Then getting the Carrion and second SSC in, youll be set nicely for a wide range of lists :) Oh, get some more Chariots too. The Prince cant join a unit of 2.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... did I mention that the skeleton warriors with spears has already been glued, primed and drybrushed? Crap, oh well, they will probably fill som kind of role I suppose, but the extra attacks from the second rank in a defensiv battle + perhaps a king with the magic spear that 'heals the unit' might not be so crappy, or?

30x skeleton archers, what's best - divide them up into 3 groups of 10 and stick them on a hill for maximum arrow output, or one big block to march straight into enemy formations?

the chariots was a miss by me, it's clearly there in black and white in our armybook that the unit size for chariots are 3-12. I guess I'll be needing 1 more chariot to make that second unit with a prince. One group of 3 chariots, and one with 4 chariots including the prince.

...and yes, if I run Khalida I'll be sure to have poison on my arrows, that's too good to pass up on. This post was intended to speculate in what models are worth to field, and not the gazillions of details, this is just an overview :)

Thanks for the input though :)

At 5000p, I'm guessing 1/4 of the points will be spent on characters, but I guess that's normal, to cram out priests to be able to dominate the magic phase of the game :)

·
7,143 Posts
... did I mention that the skeleton warriors with spears has already been glued, primed and drybrushed? Crap, oh well, they will probably fill som kind of role I suppose, but the extra attacks from the second rank in a defensiv battle + perhaps a king with the magic spear that 'heals the unit' might not be so crappy, or?
Erm... yes, i was told something along these lines originally. My spear arms were soon snapped off and replaced. Skellies just cant kill... anything. (Maybe the new VC zombies..)

30x skeleton archers, what's best - divide them up into 3 groups of 10 and stick them on a hill for maximum arrow output, or one big block to march straight into enemy formations?
Id say a large unit of 20 would be best. If you can get 10 more then 2 units of 20 would be nice.

the chariots was a miss by me, it's clearly there in black and white in our armybook that the unit size for chariots are 3-12. I guess I'll be needing 1 more chariot to make that second unit with a prince. One group of 3 chariots, and one with 4 chariots including the prince.
Sounds good.

...and yes, if I run Khalida I'll be sure to have poison on my arrows, that's too good to pass up on. This post was intended to speculate in what models are worth to field, and not the gazillions of details, this is just an overview :)
Khalida is a Great Special Character

Thanks for the input though :)
NP :)

At 5000p, I'm guessing 1/4 of the points will be spent on characters, but I guess that's normal, to cram out priests to be able to dominate the magic phase of the game :)
Indeed, be prepared to spend a Lot on Characters, generally youre looking at 1/3rd of the points limit ish.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I rather keep the spearmen and buy a new box of warriors and give them bows, than start snapping arms. However, for each painted god damn skeleton warrior I'm one step closer to the mental institution.

If you have 2 units of 20 bowmen, that's a lot of models not ever being able to fire any arrows, unless you run them really really wide?

- do you guys use bowmen x20 in large blocks and keep them going forward towards the enemy.

- or do you divide them into smaller units, parking them around a hill or close to the SSC and just have them shooting?

- if using a group of 20 bowmen, would full command benefit the unit?

·
7,143 Posts
Shooting is more of a bonus. Bow skellies are cheaper then any others, and generally act as just a good a sponge in combat. Begin with them in 2 ranks of 10, and reform into 5x4 for combat later on. Remember though, if shooting from the ground at a large target or models on a hill, then all models in the unit can shoot. So 20 skellies in 5x4 formation get 20 shots at a giant! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts