Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For starters, I'm new to chaos. I am was/am a BT/DE guy. Looking for something different, I'd hoped to start/finish a TS army before next year. I've already purchase two TS Marine sets and a Lord. My next slot will be a heavy. I was wondering what you fellas/ladies thought was best. Right now I am leaning towards the Dread w/las-missle combo. I believe it CAN give some mobile tank busting that MAY be a little better than a Pred. Things to keep in mind if you post. I play mostly 1000-1500 point games on a 4x4 terrain heavy board. Once a month or so I travel and play on a 4X6.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The nice thing about a dread is that it has more weapon options than a predator and can handle close combat well. I installed magnet mounts on all my dreads so i can switch weapons as needed. I fancy a plasma gun this game, you now what i mean? As for the Las/missle... I would keep the close combat arm on and go with a Havoc Missle Launcher for another 20 pts, but that's just my style. You play it how you want it.

The predator is a good model to have, but for 1000 pts i like to be versatile - which the predator is not. I think maybe the dreadnought is a good selection in your case.

·
907 Posts
shoottokill said:
I would keep the close combat arm on and go with a Havoc Missle Launcher for another 20 pts, but that's just my style. You play it how you want it.

The predator is a good model to have, but for 1000 pts i like to be versatile - which the predator is not. I think maybe the dreadnought is a good selection in your case.
Word to this. A little mutated hull and you have one tough puppy. I prefer dreads for their superior fluff, cooler models, and versatility in the game. I agree you should hold on to the DCCW, since it is sweet, and get the havoc. That way you're not in trouble if you happen to lurch forward into CC all of a sudden.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
THe warpflame is a gerat upgrade for the Sons Dreads I assure you. The look on your opponents face when the Powerfist wielding guy is torched before his attack hits the hull is to much of a good one to pass.

I would however recommend the Defiler before a dread, that large template indirected at the enemy Devastors or whatever is great for having your Rubriks last long.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I think I'll go with the walker and I'll keep the CC arm. I forgot about the Mutated hull. Expensive but it may keep him around for an extra turn.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
If it's not a dedicated CC-dread but indeed a dread who you intend to shoot with, I would recommend the Daemonic Possession (and the Mutated Hull). The possession lets it keep on shooting and (near) nothing apart from complete destruction can keep it's gun silent.

The "Ah, but ignores that puny damage"-comment is always a nuicance for your opponent.

·
128 Posts
for thousand sons i strongly recommend keeping the DCCW. CC is one area where TS really struggle and a dread well it helps out a bit.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Personally i prefer parasite+extra armour over possession on a dread. It's quite annoying to have a dread with coruscating warp flame immobilized somewhere far away from the enemy, and then to have a 1/3 chance to fire frenzy each turn ... with nothing but your own stuff in line of sight in many cases.

I don't count on my dread's shooting at all. It's TL lascannon is nice, but it does its damage in close combat - and with possession those nice blood frenzy results in case of a stunned or shaken dread's fire frenzy rolls fall flat.

Furthermore, any "weapon destroyed" result will render daemonic possession useless for the rest of the game, while stunned or shaken only affects it for one turn. I consider this to be roughly in balanced out by the higher chance to be stunned or shaken, but the aspects of immobilization and going mad tips the balance in favour of parasite for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts