Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm starting Warhammer Fantasy and building an Orc and Goblin army to play against my friend that plays Daemons.

His list for 2000 point game:

1 Bloodthirster
3 Fiends
10 Bloodletters with Skulltaker
5 Flesh Hounds
6 Flamers
10 unknown
1 Masque
20 Demonettes

I have the advantage of knowing what he is going to play. I need help on building an army that can beat him. I'm thinking of something like this. Can anyone give me some suggestions? There is probably an overkill on squig herd but hard to pick when out of special slots. I would like light cavalry what worried about Fear.

Characters Grimgor Ironhide (Goes with Black Orcs) Savage Orc Big Boss, chariot, spear, light armour, shield

Core 20 orc boyz, musican, additional choppas 20 night goblins, musican, 1 fanatic 20 night goblins, musican, 2 fanatic 20 savage orcs, musican, additional choppa
Special 20 black orcs, musician 2 spear chukkas 2 spear chukkas 7 Night Goblin Squig herd
RARE 1 giant 1 doom diver

·
Registered
691 Posts
savage orcs including characters with magic weapons (to ensure you get past the demonic save). If they are frenzied and can get the attack then a Savage Orc Boss has the opportunity to really do some damage.

Green Skin Magic is tempermental....could work well, could be a disaster.

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
Savage orcs can really do the trick, either with spears or choppas will do.
the doom diver is also a great choice, and i think the giant will not be worth its points against the blood thrirster

- squig herds will work miracles against this foe, just keep em spread out and away from your own.

- considering you have orcs, and he has the masque, you will fail alot of fear tests, that makes chariots and black orcs less effective.

- one or two units with some Ngoblin bows (25-30) and 2 fanatics will be devastating to his thirster. Considering he is a large target you get to shoot with all your ranks and his terror has a shorter range than your fanatics.
with these units champion and standard are useless, but the musician is worth it.

- get 5 wolf riders to block enemy marching (the longer it takes for them to get to you, the better)

- i would replace the giant for different rare, a second doomdiver (good against his hounds and fiends) or some 'immune to psychology' snotling pimpwagons, to take on his T3 Infantry

- Might be nice to switch 2 chukkas with a rock lobber, it will be your best weapon against flamers

·
Registered
515 Posts
I would stray away from Grimgore my friend. Hes really expensive and normally i wouldn't mind using him, but in a fight against the daemons(who are really strong at the moment) wit a blood thirster, hes going too die, almost garrenteed.

His Magic Weapon will be turned into Mush and The thirster will kill a almost 400 point hero. I'd go for a Normal Warboss, with maybe a more mudane magical weapon with the points in armor/enchanter/Talis instead. I like too keep the Black Orks ranks of 2X6, they would be decent against the thirster as well since tehy can bring some GWs too his face, try too keep ur BSB if u got him near them too keep the fight even.

The only real Decemation i can see of a thirster is gonna be something holding him down, and getting flanked by soemthing nasty, like a Boar Chariot or some Savage Boar Boys.

Never did fight him with a Giant, His Inti is kinda fast for a good TwC.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with ditching Grimgor. I love him, but if you think he is the answer to the thirster...he isnt. The thirster will just flank you on the side grimgor isnt on and kill the blackorcs, sending grimgor with them and losing you a whole ton of points. I would actually suggest perhaps ditching the black orcs all together. If you dont have other models and that is not an option than take them and I hope they work. But I find with flamers running around and black orcs having such low saves to shooting that they get chewed up rather fast. Against this demon list, squig herds could work wonders. I suggest a lot of artillery fire, and a lot of blocks to spread out your points, as a blood thirster can only really engage one unit at a time. The giant is either going to fail miserably or work wonders. If your willing to take the risk I say use him. It is a lot of points but I have had my giant charge a blood thirster, roll a 2 and get 11 strength 6 hits on that bad boy. That result will inflict some major pain, as will a 1 because it stops combat immediately and prevents the thirster from inflicting any pain. I faced a list quite similar to this (granted it was 2250) and this is, as far as I can remember, what I brought I I was able to get a solid victory:

Black orc warboss, black orc BSB, night goblin shaman, orc shaman, 2 blocks of 25 orcs with shields, a unit of 20 gobbos with 2 fanatics, 5 spider riders, 5 wolf riders, 4 spear chukkas, 10 squig hoppers, boar chariot, a doom diver, and a giant.

I hope this helped and I wish you the best of luck.

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
I'm pretty sure blood thirsters count as characters not monsters for all magical purposes.

Also, keep the bolt throwers in, they can hurt a blood thirster very fast if they hit and with him being a large target, you should be able to hit him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.