Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,I have been playing Orc&Goblins for a long time now. I have play against a regular who uses Empire. For a few months now we have been playing large sized games - 3,000/3,500 points... Although the games are friendly, we treat games with each other like a tournament. (With plenty of laughs ofcourse)

I can not seem to win. No matter what I do, I get trounced. The empire gunners are able to pound me from afar while the horses, along with Arch Lector on Chariot (and a bevy of other hard hitters) tear my units apart.

I find low INT killer. Most of the combats I strike second - and this means if my opponent is able to knock 2,3,4 models - I lose attack backs making it even harder to win a combat.

Basically, Im frustrated... Is there any good tactics you guys can share to deal with a heavy calvary, heavy gun, and heavy magic empire list? I just can not see how to make anything work when using the orcs...

Does anyone else have this problem? The orcs must be one of the most difficult armies to use in competition...

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
i hate those guns! when i face a decent empire guy i find it so hard to get near his guns i just go nuts!

i can imagine the detachments being a big issue against empire, heres what i find worthwile against empire armies

normal orc infantry might get pounded, because the detachments and also their higher initiative, but we have some secret weapons of our own.

against his artillery:
- Shamans both goblins and orc, all spells are usefull and if you max on your magic, you need no dispel scrolls :D
it may be your only real way to counter his mortars and cannons, this plus wolf riders, but if he has his own fast cavalry, wolf riders wont make it to the other side.
not only is this a powerfull way to attack his aguns, its allso a strong magic defence against any empire magiclist

Next is good against his infantry blocks:

- 15-25 Savage Orc Biguns with spears,
- Savage Orc Boar Boyz, 6 boar boyz make about 30 attacks and you have a large charge range, his initiative will not matter if you break him before he gets to fight
- lots and lots of Snotling Pump Wagons, if you have them. i think the impact hits are just insane against his toughness 3 infantry and they hit before the fight.
if you run them into detachments they will be whiped out and your unit is ready to charge any direction.
-you could back this up with a goblin shaman mounted on a Wolf Chariot, perhaps with a Brimstone Bauble

now you need something to take on his heavy cavalry

- set night goblins with fanatics on your flanks, that is the most likely place for his heavy cavalry to hit
- what works well versus chariots is a Rock Lobber, and also good against heavy armoured units, if you dont use doomdivers. (make sure you're good at range guessing if you do use this; special slots are valuable).

hope you find something usefull.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That all seems logical.

I use only two shamans (1 Lord and 1 Hero)... in our recent 3,500 point game. I felt that Black Orc Boss heros were necessary to avoid animosity.

I have no pump wagons, and I have no snotlings. I never saw a use, but you are right. Impact hits can be devastating (even have a potential to knock the front row of fighter out just on the charge.)

I have (20) spider riders instead of wolfriders. But they never seem to do the job. My opponent almost always covers his shooting units with other units such as block of spearmen or something of the nature.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.