Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been meaning to collect Chaos for a while. It's one of those things. The imagery, the background, the models, the fact that Chosen Knights are rock-hard-awesome... many reasons. But I never got round to doing it. I'd decided this was going to be a fluffy army, but I just couldn't decide on a theme.

Got one now.

[fluff]

Zakrael, Lord of Chaos Undivided, had seen his warband torn apart in the Storm of Chaos. Butchered almost to the last man in the first few hours of the siege of Middenheim by a Dwarven army, they were forced to flee the battlefield, and wait for Archaon's inevitable victory.

Unfortunately, it didn't come. Archaon was defeated, and the hordes fled, leaving Zakrael and his few remaining troops stranded in the heart of the Empire, surrounded on all sides by vastly superior forces. Not a good situation.

He was preparing for an incredibly difficult journey back to the Wastes ("HOW many dwarfs in the way?") when the Ruinous Powers granted him a great gift. Two great gifts, in fact. A vision of his future, and a new purpose. The Dark Gods spoke to him, and told him their plans for this world. Plans he was to be a part of. Filled with the energy of Chaos itself, Zakrael spoke to his Chosen. He told them of their fate.

When the approaching Dwarf throng approached where their enemy was rumoured to be located, they found nothing. There had certainly been someone there in the past, yes, but they had simply disappeared. Rangers reported that tracks went in, but didn't come out again. The younger dwarfs grew angry, swearing at the air itself in the hope that would bring their foe back. The older dwarfs grew thoughtful, their faces grim. Magic was afoot here, they told each other. Chaos magic, too: the worst kind.

Over the next few years, there were strange happenings in that area. People going missing. Strange noises in the night. Visitors to the nearby villages and towns noticed that the populace were unusually reserved. Whereas they had previously been a friendly bunch, now they were guarded, quick to anger, and distrusting of outsiders. A few people noticed strange markings on the locals' forearms, almost as if they had been branded. One of these, emboldened by alcohol, managed to see the design of this mark via a clever ruse (involving two rats, a kettle, a whiskey bottle and a three-wheeled cart). When asked in the pub later, he just shrugged. "It didn't look like anything special. Just a star. Kind of like a compass. You know, with eight pointy bits."

An eight pointed star.

The symbol of Chaos.

[/fluff]

In case you didn't get the subtle hint, Zakrael basically owns that area. His cult, the Order of the White Star, holds the allegiance of most of the regular people, as well as a good number of the armed forces. It's the armed forces bit that's important.

The initial idea was to use Empire Militia in place of Marauders, for that "country bumpkin corrupted by the Ruinous Powers" look, just for a few units in with the rest of the army. The idea kind of took over from there. Obviously I would use some actual Chaos Warriors and Knights, to represent the hardcore Chosen Zakrael had left. Most of the other stuff would be Empire, though. Using Militia as Marauders is easy; they look the part already. I'll just have to convert a standard and musician for them. Maybe mail-order the Marauder command sprue. Oh, and find some way of sticking shields on them.

I was then thinking of using State Troops (Halberdiers and Swordsmen) in the place of Chaos Warriors; suitably dirtying them up and desecrating insignias, obviously. Probably get rid of those ridiculous feathers as well. I have to say, I really like those oversized banners in the State Troops. Gives me an opportunity to paint oversized Chaos symbols. :D

Knights were a bit more complicated, as I don't really like the look of the Empire knightly orders. It's the thought of plumes on a warrior aligned to Chaos that make me wince. However, I then had a look at the Brettonian Knights of the Realm, and they fit quite well. You can chop off the ridiculous head-bits without making too much mess. They look more dynamic, too. Use the leftover weapons from the Chaos Warriors, Militia, or whatever, to replace the lances. Add some spikes, paint a star on their shields and viola! Suitably chaotic.

As for other stuff... the new Empire Wizard box set can make some awesome-looking stuff. And they'd generally be the first be be corrupted. I mean, look at the Amethyst Wizard. He's halfway there already. Warhounds can remain pretty much the same, as can Demons (they look the same wherever they're summoned :D).

I'll probably use some Beasts, but only herds; considering the cult is still trying to not attract attention, it doesn't make sense for a Minotaur to be wandering aimlessly around the village. Although I reckon Greatswords would make an excellent substitution for Bestigors...

For non-wizard Characters, I'll be using a Chaos Lord for my, well, Chaos Lord. xD. As for Exalted champions and so forth, I'll probably go Empire again. Make the more butch looking ones count as Exalteds, whilst maybe the more weedy-looking mortals only count as Beastmen heroes. Aspiring's at the maximum.

Sorry for dumping all of this on you, but when I have a sudden brainwave I like to share it with everyone. :D

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Sounds like a great idea! Just what those weedy malitia need too; a bit of Chaos to toughen them up!

Knights were a bit more complicated, as I don't really like the look of the Empire knightly orders. It's the thought of plumes on a warrior aligned to Chaos that make me wince. However, I then had a look at the Brettonian Knights of the Realm, and they fit quite well. You can chop off the ridiculous head-bits without making too much mess. They look more dynamic, too. Use the leftover weapons from the Chaos Warriors, Militia, or whatever, to replace the lances. Add some spikes, paint a star on their shields and viola! Suitably chaotic.
What's wrong with using the Chaos Knights? I thought you said you were going to use Chaos Knights? (I've got nothing against the Bretonnians, though; I'm using them in my undead army as I didn't like the Empire Knights either!)

And yes, you can cut the ridiculous head-bits off without too much trouble. You can even keep them to use somewhere else if you're careful when you remove them.

...a clever ruse (involving two rats, a kettle, a whiskey bottle and a three-wheeled cart).
Damn! I wish I was around to see this ruse get pulled off!

I'll have to keep an eye out for any further developments. As well as starting work on how to combine two rats, a kettle, a whiskey bottle and a three-wheeled cart into a clever ruse.

Hmm...:?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be using Chaos Knights... but only for Chosen. Regular, or Vanilla, Chaos Knights will be made out of brets.

And yes, it was quite an interesting distraction. I'm not going to share the secret, though, as I hope to use it myself at some point in the future. I believe it would work just as well with a Tricycle. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.