Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
LO Zealot
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm applying to universities (I'm a lot older than the typical student, mind) and at the same time I am trying to get prepared for what I'll face, so I'm using the "for Dummies" books to review a lot of concepts that I haven't been exposed to in a long time as well as get a minor background in other concepts I will be exposed to.

Anyway I got through Chemistry for Dummies and there was a chapter on Organic Chem. I got through it and the author was saying that it was probably irritating to the reader and boring. However as I read through it the entire thing seems simple and logical, especially the naming of the compounds and their structures. Well the entire hing has me psyched to go through Organic Chem for Dummies.

Has anyone here had experiences with college Organic Chemistry? Everyone makes it out to be so insanely complex, however, as I said, it all seems logical and fairly basic. While Redox reactions actually seemed a lot harder by comparison.

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Organic chemistry was probably my least favourite (I did Chemistry at A-Level, and first year degree), mainly due to the fact I could never remember the name parts. Funnily enough the exact same problem I have with biology... but aside from that it's definitely the easiest to do.

·
I Expect the Inquisition
1,422 Posts
At Rutgers (15 or so years ago) Organic Chem was one of the earilest "cut courses". The problem is that all Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Premed, Biology and just about every other natural science has to take it in their second year. That meant you'd have over a thousand students (broken up into smaller lecture halls) all on the same bell curve. And you were in smart company considering how many folks drop out of those majors in the first year.

I honestly can't comment on the course itself, since I was destined for Mechanical Engineering, but just about all my friends took it. The hard part was the competition and the curve. And with over a hundred folks failing every test (that curve again), it had a very intimidating reputation.

My understanding is that Physical Chemistry is actually a much harder subject, but since it is in a later part of specific curriculums, it is less legendary.

My personal bane was Calculus 5. The equations got so long my mental buffer ran out of ability to manage it :p

·
Registered
0 Posts
SF Relationship Coaching & Psychotherapy provides amazing services like: Improving your dating life, meeting someone special, building a relationship that is rich and satisfying, increasing confidence and self-esteem, resolving conflict and reducing arguments, Pre-commitment and pre-marital counseling, recovering from an affair and building trust again. Jeremi McManus, M.S., San Francisco Relationship Coach and Psychotherapist. Jeremi's goal is to strengthen relationships, build new relationships, while integrating his own practice of mindfulnesss, located in San Francisco, California.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts