Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Me and my buddy have just got back in playing WH, but I can't seem to beat his orge army for the life of me.
My army list includes like 24 glade guard, 12 dryad, 8 glade rider, and a spellsinger. the total army is only around like 762. He has a unit of bulls, a unit of ironguts, , a unit of gnoblers, one gorger, and a tyrant for his leader. WE made sure that his points were relativly the same as mine.

I'm planning on buying some more units, so I have like an 1000 point army, what should i buy and what strats should i use against orges...pretty much want to design my army to compete with his.

·
859 Posts
Ogres have relatively low armour.

I take it you bought the battalion and the spellsinger and nothing else yet? Has your friend done similar?

General advice for Ogres is pepper with hits, they have at best 5+ armour usually, so enough shots can take them down.

Utilise terrain to stop them getting to you quickly, to extend your range of hits.

Use Dryads and Glade Riders to HARRASS him. GR should not get into combat, as fast cav they have 360 line of sight for shooting purposes. Run around his units and shoot at them - remember you don't get penalty to move and shoot and fast cav can MARCH and still shoot. Plus a unit cannot march if an enemy is within 8" of them - run rings around him and shoot.

Dryads are good for flanking and causing fear - remember the fear! It's so useful. My boyfriend usually uses vampires which are immune to the fear so when I fought his elves - we both forgot it! At the end of the battle we realised the results could have been VERY different if we'd remembered the psychology checks lol.

Dryads would be good for tying up the Gnoblars and possibly causing them to flee.

Ogres cause impact hits, as a low/no armour army - don't let him charge you if you can help it.

As you specifically want to fight Ogres - I suggest harrassment techniques and peppering - a unit of Warhawks may be quite good and Wardancers are considered universal - just remember their killing blow dance won't work on Ogres because of their US per model. You may want to try Wild Riders, the models are expensive but there are a lot of conversion ideas around, they are fast, forest spirit rules and used for close combat. Useful if you have enough units covered by shooting and want to start whittling units out of sight or range for some other reason.

Hope you're having fun with Wood Elves. Good luck in future battles.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Ogres have relatively low armour.

I take it you bought the battalion and the spellsinger and nothing else yet? Has your friend done similar?

General advice for Ogres is pepper with hits, they have at best 5+ armour usually, so enough shots can take them down.

Utilise terrain to stop them getting to you quickly, to extend your range of hits.

Use Dryads and Glade Riders to HARRASS him. GR should not get into combat, as fast cav they have 360 line of sight for shooting purposes. Run around his units and shoot at them - remember you don't get penalty to move and shoot and fast cav can MARCH and still shoot. Plus a unit cannot march if an enemy is within 8" of them - run rings around him and shoot.

Dryads are good for flanking and causing fear - remember the fear! It's so useful. My boyfriend usually uses vampires which are immune to the fear so when I fought his elves - we both forgot it! At the end of the battle we realised the results could have been VERY different if we'd remembered the psychology checks lol.

Dryads would be good for tying up the Gnoblars and possibly causing them to flee.

Ogres cause impact hits, as a low/no armour army - don't let him charge you if you can help it.

As you specifically want to fight Ogres - I suggest harrassment techniques and peppering - a unit of Warhawks may be quite good and Wardancers are considered universal - just remember their killing blow dance won't work on Ogres because of their US per model. You may want to try Wild Riders, the models are expensive but there are a lot of conversion ideas around, they are fast, forest spirit rules and used for close combat. Useful if you have enough units covered by shooting and want to start whittling units out of sight or range for some other reason.

Hope you're having fun with Wood Elves. Good luck in future battles.

Run in circles around him so he cant charge

·
Registered
102 Posts
How would a WE deal with Leadbelchers, they can be nasty. Being able to move and shoot. Stand and shoot. And get an artillery dice of shots each...

·
Registered
320 Posts
check your unit sizes on units, they look a little big. For glade guard, field them in unts of 10. For glade riders, field them in sizes of 5. 12 is probably a little big for dryads, cut them back to 8 or 10. with these cuts, you can probably fit in another unit.

·
4,361 Posts
How would a WE deal with Leadbelchers, they can be nasty. Being able to move and shoot. Stand and shoot. And get an artillery dice of shots each...
Hail of doom to start. Then shoot with whatever you have left.

SirKently

·
Registered
321 Posts
I used to hate playing Ogres with my older more combat orientated woodies but find them quite easy now, though I do always feel a little worried when they just start rushing towards you each turn.

Here are a couple of things ive picked up.

1) They still die quite easily too shooting, and they go down very quickly to our Str4 GG bows at close range.
2) You need to use Eagles and Glade Riders to divert their units to slow down their advance, this gives you more turns for shooting and generally disrupts your opponents battle plan.
3) Always have Hail of Doom.
4) Dryads can do very well against Ogres in combat provided you get the charge and the Ogres arent buffed.
5) Use your power dice to dispell the Ogres buffs if he gets them off, you'll really struggle against them if they have +1T or Regen.
6) Regarding Leadbealchers, every Ogre player I've played uses them in units of 2, they are quite easy to take out with shooting in such a small unit, these are often my first target, plus if you can wipe them out in 1 phase you can cause some panic tests.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks for the help, I played him again and it was a much closer game.
I'm considering getting a treeman...to **** his shit up, do you guys agree with this decision or not

·
4,361 Posts
Treemen is an nice addition. Just don't get him into combat with the tyrant.

SirKently

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just a question, but if you guys are playing around 750 points...isn't a Tyrant a lord choice so he wouldn't be able to field him till 2000 points or is it really a bruiser, might want to check that.

A treeman is an excellent addition for fighting ogres, anything that makes him take a psych check will help you out, also the str 4 shots from strangle roots works wonders too.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Bruiser can still take the Tenderiser mate, Treeman just isnt a good idea against Ogres honestly, even a bruiser will get 4 attacks at Str 7 with a magic weapon each doing D3 wounds, treeman will get NO SAVES, the only thing thats better about the bruiser is that it will hit you on 4's instead of 3's like a tyrant.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Agreed that the tenderiser is a big problem if you get the treeman in direct combat with him. I mainly just use him for flank charges on deathstar units were the bruiser can't hit you with it and hopefully win combat and make them break, that way you don't have to deal with him, or use the march and strangle root for panic checks. Although that is a big point investment for that low of points ;), just a thought

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
I have found ogres to be one of the easier match-ups for woodelves.

Shooting takes them down quite easily.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Theres more to beating them than just shooting them though, if you dont redirect them they will get into your lines if you arent careful.

I agree they are an easy match up for wood elves, however it is still daunting when they just run straight towards you 12" per turn for newer players.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
Great Eagles are a great diverter.

I would be interested to know what you have in your list. Taking the ogre head on is a no-no.

Wood elves are all about bait and flee.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.