trukk 35P

boyz sluggas (10 orks, 1 nob)
111P+35P=146P

nob
power claw
bosspole
eavy nob

trukk 35P

planning on expanding to 750-1000 P so i can add snikrot, more kommandos, a wagon and some other stuff :)
your thoughts?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Trukks at this point level are just not my bag, they tend to blow up first turn for me, leaving small groups of orks to be shot at and pushed off the board before they can get krumping.

Kommandos are just poor, especially in new edition, cannot charge from outflank, drop them and go with something good like lootas or big guns, you are very short on any antitank

At small point games I have always found that green tide works best, try a big squad of 30 shoota boyz and see how they work for you

Maybe..

Warboss (extra armour, powerclaw, attack squig)
30 shootas (3 big shootas, nob w/ pk and bosspole)
10 grots (runtherd)
8 lootas

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting idea... but ive never had a trukk blow up the first turn ever, so im gonna stick to my trukkboyz.
and the biggest think iss that i wanna be fluff correct, and im fielding a bloodaxe army, and i love kommandos, and i dislike lootas (both the model look, the blunt tactics and pretty much everything)
my plan was
turn 1: charge up in trukks with my sluggas and shootas, get behind terrain, kommandos in reserve.
turn 2: hopefully my kommandos come out and are able to outflank with my warboss, if they wont come on i charge with my sluggas and keep my shootas in their trukk on distance to just help shooting em up.
turn 3: now kommandos are likely to sneak out and join the battle, sneaking up behind the melee locked foes and burn em to smitherines while the slugga boys chop em up
turn 4: if the game continues my sluggas are probably dead, but then i get my shootas out and let my kommandos with my warboss get to choppin'.

i don't care if i win, but playing with smart ork tactics and an army theme i like... and just the fact it contains smart orks is good enough for me :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
hmm

I like your orks! But I agree that the Kommandos got and extra dose of the nerf bat, they're kinda garbage now.
Kannons!!! and more of them!!!

3 Kannons are 60pts. add krew if you have pts.

If you play against necrons, you'll cry trying to penetrate their AV13 skimmer transports.
At 500pts you probably won't have to deal with Landraiders or Monoliths...

Warboss (Klaw, Eavy Armour, Cybork, Shoota/Skorcha) 105

11 Shoota Boyz (Big Shoota)
Nob (Klaw, Eavy Armour, Pole)
Trukk (Rokkit, Ram) 176

11 Shoota Boyz (Big Shoota)
Nob (Klaw, Eavy Armour, Pole)
Trukk (Rokkit, Ram) 176

1 Kannon 20
1 Kannon 20

add one big gun krew makes 500

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i know, i was thinking of big gunz in my 850 pts army, but i will never give up my kommandos even if they got nerfed, it is going to be my trademark no matter what, but the rest of the list is the stuff that is open to discussion :p in my 750 list i thought of adding snikrot and 3 kannons, since cupcake plates are always needed.
but no matter what, kommandos is nailed to the list and cut in stone, burna and nob is also nailed to that unit and so is a warboss of some kind even if it is a stupid choice xP
but that leaves 380 pts open still :) i want more ideas for those points, even if you think kommandos are stupid xD

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think kommandos can still find a place in small armies, especially Bloodaxe ones. Instead of putting them in reserves what about trying the following setup:

5 kommandos, 2X rokkits = 70 points

If you drop the Warboss and take a KFF big mek for your trukks, you could take two squads of the above kommandos. I wouldn't expect them to do a lot, but the enemy can't ignore four rokkits on their door step. They should take some fire off your trukks too, and a mek is a better HQ for small armies. What Warboss is going to go on scouting missions? Keeps with your theme, and adds a bit of punch. You could always take out one unit and add some kannons too, and maybe give the one nob a big choppa at least.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i like the sound of that, but i would still prefer to have a warboss with my kommandos so i could deliver a heavy punch unexpectedly from behind, i dont know, just my preference, i mean an outflanking squad of 4 sluggas, 1 burna, 1 combi scorcha, 2 powerclaws is a pretty heavy blow for a 500 point army, thats 2 strength 8 hits and 2 flamer templates right up their asses while they are concentrated at my trukks. that was my initial plan atleast and since its a 500 pts army its more for fun.

and why my warboss would go on a flanking mission, here is some fluff:
warboss thrudcutz on erador IV has been a thorn in the eradorian empires side for decades. mostly because he is one of the most cunnin' orkz in the empire and not one single eradorian commander has been able to foresee his tactics once since the copper war where he and his bloodaxe clan were driven back to the moon erador IV, this was just cause of a kommando who got cought and tortured for info.
he usually leads flanking ops with his personal komandos and second in command krumpsnik and his advisor zmartnuff. this trio is notoriously known for their strange ambushing tactics, they lead probably the most unorky warband known to man (and orks for that matter) zmartnuff even reads! (hence he got his name)
both thrudcutz and zmartnuff are both accompanied by their grot cutthroats baggenz and slugginz, baggenz is trusted by thrudcutz mainly cause he watches his back by sitting in his backpack with his always ready knife (hence the name baggenz hurrdurr :p), slugginz got his name because his fascination with copper, the copper the clan use for slugga rounds to be exact, he also sits in a backpack bristling with rounds for him to play with, he acts as zmartnuffs extra eyes and ears and he has been his companion since the copper war, believe it or not, in this most unorky clan grotz are actually used to fill the functions the orkz of the clan cannot (like their low cunnin', high hearing capability and sneakyness).

thrudcutz is equipped with a supercharged iron hand (not a powerclaw but it has the punch like one, a metal hand charged with hundreds and thousands of volts to dank right into some 'umie face!) aswell as a specialmade shoota mounted under his free hand with a scorcha to deliver shitloads of dakka. almost nobody in his clan has seen his face since he wears a scarf covering his face along with a military cap fitted with goggles, the only thing one sees before getting hit in the face is his gleaming red eyes. he wears eavy armor and kommando gear at all times and a map of erador IV's capital city and its surroundings hoping to one day conquer it, slit the govenors neck and feast on his heart and orkify the entire city making it his new HQ and make it as complex as possible with plenty of places for his army to hide in in case of an attack and let them come out at the right time.

so yea, its more of sentimental value than strategic value xD

·
Registered
603 Posts
Warboss can't outflank with kommandos.. unless this has changed in 6th and i didn't notice, pretty sure I remember reading a confirmation of this in the rulebook though.

If you have to go with kommandos then I reckon 5 basic with 2 burnas could be useful, outflank, flame something to death and then die... they WILL die, but they will die anyway so better to burn some stuff first.

Oh and as for your idea, they'll concentrate on your trukks.. blow them, then your kommandos arrive, kill them, then theyll just be able to pick off your small ork squads.

If the kommandos were essential and run as above then I would probably run:

5 kommandos (2burna) - 80pts
3 kannons (6 crew) - 78pts
2 kannons (2 crew) - 46pts
20 shootas (2 big shootas, nob, pk, bosspole)
10 grots (runtherd)

This puts pressure from range before the burnas arrive, I would deploy the kannons in the middle, forcing opponent into the flanks to get burned..

This is an odd list and I don't particularly like it, but works ok with kommandos I think, but if you aren't looking for competitive then thats fine

·
Registered
460 Posts
In a 500 point game I don't see outflanking as a viable tactic. The enemy army will be small so the chance you come where you are most needed is slim. I think with the addition of outflank people forgot how to infiltrate and how incredibly useful it can be. They go exactly where you want, and they are there when you want them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
as far as i know an independent character can join a squad of kommandos in reserve so it is possible to do it. but i really like the list you wrote, it is truly a strange one and would be hillarious to play :D might try it out

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok nevermind, i just took a closer look in the rulebook, it does say an independent character can join an infiltrating unit, but in that case the unit looses the infiltrate ability. my bad ^^;

but another idea (this is considering a list on around 750 points)

a squad of 10 kommandos including 2 burnas, and ofcourse, snikrot!
then the unit suddenly is more useful, its a larger unit and it includes the always juicy snikrot special character. and it would make up for the boss and a nob even if i loose some anti tank capability, its atleast a legal choice and i can get on anywhere i want within 6" of the edge. (altho i will make a homemade character who uses all snikrots stats/rules just to personalize my army more) expensive choice, but fun :)
and the warboss wil probably be with some sluggas in a trukk to get to chopping (but i will use that trukk with more tactics and give my sluggas a kommando-ish look atleast :)
kannons is a must in this list, booms are always fun

here is a tryout on making a new list
(and some more for the record, i like playing with less numerous, more specialized and characteristic models, not many do this with orks mostly cause it is a bad idea but i like it anyway even if i loose, thats just who i am :) i'd rather have a small interesting army that i love and take care of rather than a giant swarm of simmilar boring units)

HQ: 200 P
WARBOSS 115P
powerclaw
shoota/skorcha
eavy armour
attack squig
bosspole

MEK
85 PTS

KFF
bosspole
grot oiler

KOMMANDOS (8 orks, 2 burnas, snikrot)
215P

2 burnas
snikrot

big shoota

trukk 35P

boyz sluggas (10 orks, 1 nob)
111P+35P=146P

nob
power claw
bosspole
eavy nob

trukk 35P

runtherd

=752 PTS

plan: stick warboss with sluggas in trukk, mek with shootas in trukk, commandos w/ snikrot in reserve, kannons at the rear, charge up with my trukk filled with sluggaboys, a nob w/ powerclaw, eavy armor, bosspole and the warboss while my trukk with big shoota, mek w KFF, is more protected while blasting at shit, then snikrot and the gang slit the surviving units necks while some other unit is bombarded by the kannons.

·
Registered
603 Posts
In a 500 point game I don't see outflanking as a viable tactic. The enemy army will be small so the chance you come where you are most needed is slim. I think with the addition of outflank people forgot how to infiltrate and how incredibly useful it can be. They go exactly where you want, and they are there when you want them.
Agree that outflanking is usually a much worse option now.. but for that one very specific style of army list, outflanking could definitely be good, its all about placement denial and forcing opponents into an area where you want them.

[MENTION=27095]zim[/MENTION]inov : I wouldn't throw too many points into those kommandos, but you seem fairly set on it, so enjoy :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea, i still believe they would be fun to play, and its just around 60 more points above the slugga squad, and since im adding my warboss to that squad the sluggas cost even more than the 215P kommandos in the 750 pts list :p my opponents are usually orks and csm, but they normally only field infantry which is fun to chop up and the ork player always somehow presses in 300+ pts of flash gits in his army (he is my best friend and we think much alike, he loves gitz and i love kommandos)
total costs of the 750 list:
kommandos:215 pts (8 kommandos, 2 burnas, snikrot)
shootas: 71P+35Ptrukk+95Pmek=201P
sluggas: 111P+35Ptrukk+115boss=261P
gunz: 63P+10Pherd=73P

1 - 14 of 14 Posts