Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i run a pretty basic ork list, lots of infantry, 6 killa kans, some warbikes, etc. (total 143 models or something like that)

just curious, what imperial tank should i loot?

i was thinking either the basilisk or the LRBT. Because ordnance doesnt need a BS to function, just bypassing that little problem of my BS 2.

just curious as to what you guys/girls think would work better in my army. the basics of it:

Mega armored: Warboss, 5 nobz
battlewagon

Kommandos

stormboys

tankbustas

30 grots +slaver

60 slugga boys (2 nobs)

5 warbikes

6 killa kans

_________ looted vehicle

·
Registered
269 Posts
If I were you I'd go with the basilisk, you'll never be out of range and you don't need to move it, and since your armys mostly CC oppenents wont be able to get around your forces and knock it out. I hope I'm not shot for giving advice to the enemy:yes: :shifty:

·
646 Posts
I would go with a Russ personaly, but I think you will find the guard forum evenly split between Russes and Basalisks, with excelent armour and a main weapon only very slightly weaker than the Basalisk, it's a great light and heavy infantry killer.

Although the Basalisk has a much similar weapon with a huge range that can fire indirectly, you will need to think very hard about where you place it, as it cannon fire indirectly within 36", and it's armour is far too weak to be used as a direct fire tank.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
I'll second Xethemez on this one. My son uses a Russ in Ork Army very effectivly.

·
Registered
598 Posts
russ and basilisk are good choices.

However, in my friend's ork army he's fond of borrowing my hellhound. It's a strong weapon that's good for burning out stubborn covermongers, and even if it misses, it still can hit, which is nice on an orky BS. Along with a pintle mounted stubber upgrade, it can also lay down a nice bit of fire on the way over, and it can advance with the rest of your army (or slightly ahead of it to provide cover if you so choose)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would definitely go with the russ with a hull heavy bolter. It's only 145 points, it has rock solid armor, and will draw fire away from your battlewagon. When the enemy is presented with the decision to fire his lascannons either a russ or a battlewagon, chances are one of them will come out alright. If you take the basilisk, your battlewagon will take far more abuse.

If you take a bassie, they are super fragile and you have to be able to hide them. Even then, they have an irritating minimum range of 36" for indirect fire.

·
Registered
210 Posts
As far as I know Looted vehicles cannot take extra upgrades like Indirect fire, dozer blades etc so I wouldn't bother with the Bassie.
Demolisher Is a nice choice rolling up with your orks laying down that ST10 template can work wonder providing anti-tank as well :yes:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Cadian7th is partly right and partly wrong; vehicle upgrades other than the ork ones are not allowed for looted vees; however indirect fire is a weapons option rather than an upgrade therefore is legal.

And I second him about the Demolisher; I love mine. It draws fire away from other troops/vees and there are frew that don't fear the S10 template.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I like basilisks, but also know their use is a difficult art to master.
A leman with sponson heavy flamers running along your battle wagon would be more orky.
Best thing is to hide the battlewagon behind the LR

·
907 Posts
^Heavy Support^ said:
I would definitely go with the russ with a hull heavy bolter. It's only 145 points, it has rock solid armor, and will draw fire away from your battlewagon. When the enemy is presented with the decision to fire his lascannons either a russ or a battlewagon, chances are one of them will come out alright. If you take the basilisk, your battlewagon will take far more abuse.

If you take a bassie, they are super fragile and you have to be able to hide them. Even then, they have an irritating minimum range of 36" for indirect fire.
I agree with Heavy. Unless you really need those 40 extra points, I would go with the Russ. I think there are some pretty sweet looted russ pictures in the librarium gallery you can check out, too.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Either would be fine for this list. For the LR: The LR is a great tank and in my IG list I usually field 2 LR and 1 Bassie. The LR goes well with your list as it would be another vehicle (and well armored) in your advance. The Bassie will save you some points, but there's one big problem with it: the low armor makes for a damned-if you-do-damned-if-you-don't kind of bind. if you park it in cover it becomes very hard to kill, but also limited by its minimum range. If you put it in the open, it can fire freely, but it is easy to kill. However, you've got a big pile of vehicles in this list, so a Bassie in the open behind the wagon, Kans, and other stuff will do all right.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, first of all. About the bassie's min. range.

i dont expect anyone is going to be charging at me. if they do, i'd welcome the oppurtunity as it would mean less of my orks get shot up before they get to their goal.

what i'm really after is some good anti-tank. and i believe that the bassie beats the LRBT at this. i could be wrong though.

please give me some advice on that specific area. anti tank. i dont care about survivability, as almost all of my vehicles get destroyed sooner or later. PLus, when theyre shooting at my vehicles, theyre not shooting at my over 100 troops, and thats reward enough in my mind.

·
646 Posts
Grand Master Halls said:
OK, first of all. About the bassie's min. range.

i dont expect anyone is going to be charging at me. if they do, i'd welcome the oppurtunity as it would mean less of my orks get shot up before they get to their goal.

what i'm really after is some good anti-tank. and i believe that the bassie beats the LRBT at this. i could be wrong though.

please give me some advice on that specific area. anti tank. i dont care about survivability, as almost all of my vehicles get destroyed sooner or later. PLus, when theyre shooting at my vehicles, theyre not shooting at my over 100 troops, and thats reward enough in my mind.
The Basalisk does beat the Leman Russ at anti-tank, but only by a whisker, and in my opinion it would be too easy for your enemy to just deploy his tank in a forward position and move it forward 6" at the start of the game to get it inside the Bassie's minimum range.

However the best guard tank for anti-tank (outside Imperial Armour) is the Demolisher. It's main weapon is Str10, but only 24"R, however, it can be equipped with a hull lascannon for when it's outiside 24".

The only problem is that this tank is the priceyest in the guard codex. It is 150 base, and the hull weapon is mandatory, so kitted as a tank killer you are talking about a minimum of 165pts. But IMO it will serve you far better than a Bassie, and besides, Ork don't seem like the type of people to deploy an artilery tank at the back of the board and fire away from behind cover.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The Bassie's minimum range only matters for indirect fire. You can still fire directly at under 36" if you have LoS. This is why I don't really believe in the two Bassie strategy: You can use an LR or other vehicles for cover and avoid the whole min range problem.

However, I'm going to throw in with an LR with hull LC for the better AT option. It is more flexible and more durable. It has better armor and it has a fallback AT weapon if the battle cannon gets whacked. The Demolisher is all right, but bear in mind that the tanks you'll be trying to kill will heavily outrange you and will get a few shots off as you try to close the distance. That's a big drawback.

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
My friends anti tank stratagies almost always consist of kannons and a nob w/ a power claw. A demolisher is most likely to get shot up on the way in, a basie will more likely then not survive the entire game ( or it will be blown up in the first turn one or the other usually has been my experiance) a russi sacks a strength for armor and moblity, but i havn't seen any off these really work as well as just picking the enemies tank up with a power calw and chucking it in the desired direction. When i go up against orks with marines or chaos the bassie tends to focus on removing other ordi weapons and after that it works on squads, the other tanks get riped up by a war bike squad, while the rest of the army is focusing on the warboss/ kannons/ stormboys/ or any other form of greendeath that is approching me.
If I were you id probally just go with the basilisk just because it does its job well, it blows stuff up, and it draws fire a bit of fire, giving you more time to get closer

·
646 Posts
I would agree with Greenbeard. While these are powerful tanks we are looking at, I think there are better AT units back home in your own codex. You should only really field a guard tank for anti-infantry dakka and to draw fire away from some of your softer tanks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was looking today at the demolisher - That is a sweet tank, and it definately has the best anti-tank power, but it is so costly, and in the hands of orks, the only gun that would hit with frequency is the demolisher cannon, and that scatters. So, in a normal guard army, that is a sweet tank to use, but in an ork army, I wouldn't use it first. I would go with the LRBT, because of the fact that they look cool, and are more orky than artillery.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts