Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some know me from the 'Nids forums, I play a pretty min-max shooty Nid list.

I've built myself a Big Mek's Stompa (pics and WIP work etc. coming in modeling forum at some point), and tossed together a Mek Ork army, that will be used the same in apoc or not.

It's not intended to be overpowered or deal with all threats, but I thoroughly enjoy the feel of how it plays in proxy so far. Note: I'm mostly looking for a scrub to make sure I haven't messed up any rules / etc. I'm not necessarily looking for a critique of its playability, though they won't offend me :)

HQ
Big Mek w/ Kustom Force Field (85)
Big Mek w/ Kustom Force Field (85)

Elite
3 Nobz (1 w/ Power Klaw) in Trukk (120)

Troop
11 Shootas in Trukk w/ Rokkit Launcha (106)
11 Shootas in Trukk w/ Rokkit Launcha (106)
12 Shootas in Trukk w/ Rokkit Launcha (112)

Fast Attack
3 Warbuggies w/ Twin-Linked Rokkit Launchas (105)

Heavy Support
3 Killa Kanz w/ Kustom Mega Blastas (165)

2,000 points on the nose, 27 vehicles, 81 orks

Generally the Meks try to keep up w/ the Kanz, the vehicles for first turn / later if possible, and any shoota boyz who get popped out of their trukks at inopportune times, to provide hull down chances and cover saves. Shokk Attacks are more useful maybe for 10 points more per model, but that's not the goal of the list. Buggies and emptied trukks make great shields to keep people from shooting at units not in position yet, and it's pretty derned fast ... being able to put 9 Trukks w/ a net 3 power klaws, 6 regular nobz, and 70 shoota boyz in an opponent's deployment zone on turn 1 alongside 9 buggies. In proxytest, I've enjoyed the look of seeing 18 vehicles in an opponent's face before he can do anything.

Fluffy and fun, and meshes well with the Big Mek's Stompa in apoc ... plus, it's not terribly ineffective either, given there are 24 vehicles fielding S8 AP2 or AP3 weapons, 9 of which are twin-linked and 9 of which are BS3, and there's 140 shoota shots/turn before casualties.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The list looks pretty good and I cant see anything wrong with it's composition in a technical sense. I might suggest switching around some weapons, like making half the boys in trukks slugga boys to increase your combat ability, switch some of the KMB's from the kans to big shootas to increase your ranged ability and use the saved points to get some power klaws on the slugga boyz so you can take on big stuff like TMC's, daemon princes, avatars, etc. Just my two teef though.

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not bad advice, and I may tweak. My primary goal is to maintain the full force organization chart, and the max 27 vehicles. If I can tweak within that, no problemo! I'll fiddle around a bit.

I figured while not as reliable due to Orky BS, I can deal w/ Demon Princes / Avas / TMC's / etc. pretty well with the massive number of S8 AP3 or AP2 shots, but Klaws are nastay.

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tweak list for Powerklawy goodness - alternate list

Big Mek w/ KFF
Big Mek w/ KFF

3 Nobz, 1 w/ Pklaw in Trukk

10 Sluggas + Nob w/ Pklaw (12 total) in Trukk
10 Sluggas + Nob w/ Pklaw (12 total) in Trukk
11 Sluggas + Nob w/ Pklaw (12 total) in Trukk

3 Warbuggies (TL Big Shootas)

3 Killa Kanz (Big Shootas)

Also exactly 2,000 points

Basically one list is ranged, the other is less so *shrug*

·
Registered
143 Posts
3 Nob Unit without boss pole? You do realise that if anything even shoots at them and the y take but 1 casualty you have got a ld 7 test to take. Are you hoping the opposition will be shooting at your other units so the nobs might have a chance of reaching combat? That said force looks good for taking on IG tank company

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Nobz are basically trash units with a powerklaw, just to up the trukk total / etc. Plus, they can be shielded with other trukks / buggies / trukk wrecks to keep from being shot at.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Are the nob squads really worth it, even if they bump up your "trukk total"? Yeah you have more targets, but they aren't going to do much. Against any squad with any combat capability, the nobs are going to charge, lose combat, and then cheese.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would be tempted to drop 2 of the 3 Nob trukks and have a 9 man Nob squad in a Trukk with eavy armour, a painboy and 2 pk's, the rest with big choppas, waaagh banner and replace Big Mek with Warboss with a boss pole. You can use the rest of you trukks to cover them ensuring they get to combat. While u will lose two trukks you will gain a devastating combat unit that will eat through nearly anything your opponent can through at it

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
I agree

I would be tempted to drop 2 of the 3 Nob trukks and have a 9 man Nob squad in a Trukk with eavy armour, a painboy and 2 pk's, the rest with big choppas, waaagh banner and replace Big Mek with Warboss with a boss pole. You can use the rest of you trukks to cover them ensuring they get to combat. While u will lose two trukks you will gain a devastating combat unit that will eat through nearly anything your opponent can through at it
I agree. Those nobz are worthless at such low numbers. Against any serious threat they'll be gone (or as good as gone) after a single round of combat regardless whether or not they win.

Instead of 3 units of nobz in trukks, field 1 of 6-9 (with 2 klaws) and cybork bodies, or at the very least a painboy. With no invulnerable save or 'feel-no-pain', they'll be cut down by any serious CC threat.

Also, I always field buggies with rokkits (so they can take out armor more easily), and in units of 1 buggy each. 3 buggies will be a tempting target, and even basic storm bolters will be able to bring them down. A single buggy falls below the radar, and with a rokkit, can do some real damage.

There's almost nothing in this list to deal with armor. How are you going to beat the land raiders, predators, hammerheads and Lemar Russes? At least where I play, they're very common. Your boyz needs some rokkits on their side.

Instead of nobz in trukks, what about Tankbustas in a battlewagon? Even a single one of these units will do wonders for your team. How about putting rokkits on your killa kans? Your slugga boyz are more than enough to deal with most of the basic troops. You need units to deal with armor.

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Decent advice all.

The primary list is the first one posted ... the one with sluggas instead of shootas is simply an alternate look at things, and not one I'm likely to use as often.

As for the 3 units of 3 nobz each, they are not really meant as killer punch-out units ... and I would just as soon have nothing in the list with the points cost of a tooled out nobz w/ klaws unit. I've played against the Orks w/ my Nids fairly extensively now, and they are far too easy to get rid of even w/ FNP/Cybork bodies for well-built opposing lists, given that even tossing 60 spinegaunts into them results in a net points gain on the side of the 'Nids when they win.

As for the anti-tank power, I guess you are looking at the latter list. The primary list has 9 kustom mega blastas on kanz, which are as good as rokkits against vehicles and slightly better against troops (and had the points lyin' around). The list also has 9 rokkits on the buggies, and 6 rokkits on trukks. That's 24 S8 shooting models (6 trukks, 9 buggies, 9 kanz).

As for any stationary vehicles like Russes and what-not, there's a trio of small cheap nob squads delivering a power klaw apiece, which is the intended use. I fully intend to engage enemy MEQ and Terminatore Equiv units with kustom mega blastas, rokkits and mass shoota fire using math to whittle 'em down, and keeping units in or behind trukks to avoid charges until things are thinned out. The nobz aren't meant to charge enemy CC units, they're meant to go after isolated heavy weapons squads if they're foolish enough to let me drive a trukk up to 'em, and primarily to go after enemy non-skimmer vehicles w/ a few S9 melee attacks.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
O I C

Oh! I'm sorry, I took the second list to mean that you'd changed your mind, and was going to use the second list, primarily. Sorry, I didn't look close enough.

I vastly prefer your first list, although I always use slugga boyz in trukks and shoota boyz as footsloggers. Shoota boyz in trukks can work as a sort of a 'gunboat' unit, but since I primarily use trukks to get my boyz into CC as quickly as possible, I try to maximize their effectiveness in CC. Shoota boyz are never a bad choice though.

I still think the rokkit buggies should be fielded individually, but if you already have 9 buggies, I guess it can't hurt. They're just going to get shot up a lot, is all.

For around 114 points a pop, I still think you can do a lot better than nobz in trukks. That's 342 points that can be used to field one to three far more effective elite units, like tankbustas, lootas or burnas. If your heart is set on the throwaway nobz, I'd just be sure to never send them into CC alone. I'd use the nobz to assault units already fighting with your regular boyz. Your opponent will then have to choose whether or not they want to focus their attacks on the nobz, or the boyz.

In any case, good luck! ;Y

1 - 12 of 12 Posts