Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the scenario. My freind plays the Tau, and I play orks, he got the Tau battleforce and I got The Assault on Black Reach. I have currently 15 ork boyz, 5 nobz, and one warboss. The warboss has a power claw and a slugga, while 2 of the boyz have big shootas. he has 10 tau fire warriors and a devilfish. We are going to fight at about 2 feet away from each other. What would be the best strategy? (this includes purchases, but a relativly low budget buys would be appreciated.)

We are both relative noobs, so we are trying to go easy on each other, but I want to be prepared.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think you will find this moved soon into the orc section ;)

As for adivice don't try to out shoot him - best place is to get into close combat where firewarriors are weak. Also try to take out the devilfish as soon as you can - a tau devilfish transporting firewarriors about the map is a pain as their long range lets them effectivly jump away from your forces and allow them to keep raining down fire from a safe position.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh sorry! I didnt know there was an ork section!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Playing at 2 feet away from each other? Beautiful.

Tactics:
Turn 1 - move 6", then Run another d6" (into cover hopefully)
Turn 2 - move 6", Waaagh! d6", then Assault

If it goes beyond that.. keep on stabbin'
You're not going to out-shoot Tau, period. Get to him as fast as possible, and toss a bucket of dice at him.

·
1,065 Posts
you should run your ork boyz in front of your warboss w/ nobz. They'll either get shot at, or give your big hitter a 4+ cover save. I do belive you will make it in time to kill his army. of course. if he just loads into his devilfish and flys around killing you w/ burst cannon, your screwed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you can swing the purchase, grab and build a box of lootas. You'll have 4 lootas and a Mek with Kustom Mega Blasta (and a bunch of spare parts for burnas down the line :sinister:). Aim these bad boys at his Fire Warriors, and you have a half-decent chance to send them running away turn 1. They'll also be a suitably ripe looking target for his Devilfish, which will keep your boyz out of fire for at least a turn.

Also, I know you're just starting out, so playing with what you have is better than not playing at all, but work towards both players having nearly the same amount of points on the table to ensure a fair game. 500 is pretty reasonable, without spending too much.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I'm new to Orks myself.. but not to Tau and 40k in general.

If you bought the Assault on Black Reach box, you should have 1 Warboss, 5 Nobz, 20 Boyz and 3 Deff Koptas. Against Tau you want to get into close combat as fast as possible, and I see no faster way than with Deff Koptas.

Heres a sample army list that should be fair versus Tau. It can stomp his fishygits, but can still fall apart before his amazing dakka.

500 Points
HQ-
Warboss w/ Power Klaw and Eavy Armour
Troops-
5 Nobz w/ Big Choppas and Eavy Armour
20 Boyz w/ Sluggas and Choppas
Fast Attack
1 Deffkopta w/ Buzzsaw and TL Rokkits
1 Deffkopta w/ Buzzsaw and TL Rokkits

Send the Deffkoptas flying forward. They should look like an attractive fire magnet once he figures out what they're capable of, allowing the rest of your boyz to advance relatively unharmed. If he doesn't worry about them, then they're still fairly devastating units with hit and run, twin linked rokkit launchers (with assault!) and three S 8 attacks on the charge. Use them to focus on his tanks and battle suits (if he buys any)

***Edit*** Oh, and you won't have to purchase any more models to pull it off :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
stick some big bombs on the koptas as well maybe. first turn scout and move should put you behind his lines having bombed his troops then pk his tanks

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The army list above was exactly 500 points, I believe. Could be feasible for a slightly larger battle, though I think thats way too many points to spend on two models that are already fairly expensive in a small battle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts