Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've just got in the Warhammer 40k with my friends, I picked Orks, however I wanted to make them really my own, so I've deiced to paint their skin blue (well I will when I have the paints) a greyish blue. But as I read the Codex it doesn't mention skin color variations, just that they're green cause they're like fungi. long story short bunch of research lead me to believe that Orks don't have to be green and their skin color could be different depending on their environment. However that really means little to most people, I'm still wondering if I can still paint them not green and get away with it.

·
2,076 Posts
Just say they are very dusty..
Or that it is camouflage, or that they mutated slightly due to living under strange conditions of some sort.
Better be ready for a barrage of insults from 'propa Orkie playaz' though. Orkz is green, only wimpy tau are blue. Green is best after all!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well, I don't see why anybody needs to insult somebody who's painting Orks blue. If you make a great story out of it, you'll have a unique army that gets much looked at. ;Y

·
611 Posts
I would probable do a little research and find a greyish blueish plant or fungus and work the name of that into it and maybe something about it's habitat or why its that color to blend into the strange envoriment (kommandos) or attract prey or whatever. If you can find a fungus thats any color you could come up with some fiction for it.

Omegoku is right though so make sure you fiction is good.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
I think you should paint them red couse red ones goes faster...just kidding of course.
You just go ahead and paint them bluegrey, as others said it's your army after all.
In fluff they are green though, but so what?
If red ones are faster then I guess blue ones are cooler.

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
Actually, if you want the input of a fella with practical field biology in his background, green's got nuffin' ta dew wiv funguz.

If dey wuz funguz, dey'd be grey and tan anyway. I'd say go at it, research the way fungus are, and intellectually decimate the first Ork "purist" who tries to say otherwise while knowing nothing about the biology he preaches.

Not that biology has any place in 40k ...

·
846 Posts
The blue could also just as easily be warpaint or tattoos. While my orks are mostly green I have a fair number of fairly blue orks, I've always been rather fond of the idea of warpaint so needless to say my boyz are covered in reds, blues and yellows depending on clan affiliation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did see a painting article at some point, somewhere (memory fails to serve, unfortunately) that had blue-grey orks. The only unfortunate thing was that the painter decided to undercoat with a deep red color, and then essentially drybrush Shadow and Codex and Fortress grey on top. The result was somewhat unappealing.

I fully support your blue-grey ork paint scheme, I would merely advise against painting a large batch with a red undercoat. If nothing else, try painting two or three boyz in variations of your scheme until you find something you like, and run with it.

At a local store in San Diego, there's a complete 40K ork army with dark brown skin and zulu-style cow-skin shields. Not sure about the political correctness of that, but I have to admit as far as alternate paint schemes go, it was pretty impressive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just thought that i'd point out that in the current codex, the ork skin tone is attributed to the algal strains within their blood, rather than the fungal strains. This may also lead to another interesting question...Are orks autotrophic or heterotrophic?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are orks autotrophic or heterotrophic?
I'd have to lean towards the heterotrophic as they clearly eat meat of all things,maybe vegetables if it gets in the way of the meat. So as far as fluff goes for my blue orks they would have to be consuming something that would be effecting their skin color.

I was gonna have a dying sun and a bioluminescence world effecting their "Waaagh!" (the psychic energy that gives a warband their drive right?) into having their green skin blend into the surrounding flora to 'outwit" its inhabinates. But I guess the "blue food" might be easier, not neater IMO, I'd rather have some crazy reasoning like a strange disease effects a Warphead who then goes mad(er?) and crashes two moons together with his psychic powers changing the his band of Orks. something like that but sounding better then I typed.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I did see a painting article at some point, somewhere (memory fails to serve, unfortunately) that had blue-grey orks. The only unfortunate thing was that the painter decided to undercoat with a deep red color, and then essentially drybrush Shadow and Codex and Fortress grey on top. The result was somewhat unappealing.
This was actualy WFB Orcs in the "How to Paint Citadel Miniatures" book. It's a neat idea, but the finished product was a bit on the blech side.

I'd have to lean towards the heterotrophic as they clearly eat meat of all things,maybe vegetables if it gets in the way of the meat. So as far as fluff goes for my blue orks they would have to be consuming something that would be effecting their skin color.

I was gonna have a dying sun and a bioluminescence world effecting their "Waaagh!" (the psychic energy that gives a warband their drive right?) into having their green skin blend into the surrounding flora to 'outwit" its inhabinates. But I guess the "blue food" might be easier, not neater IMO, I'd rather have some crazy reasoning like a strange disease effects a Warphead who then goes mad(er?) and crashes two moons together with his psychic powers changing the his band of Orks. something like that but sounding better then I typed.
The food makes sense but I also like your idea about a bioluminescent sun affecting the subconscious psychic link of all of the orks and thus altering their skin color. It's entirely possible in the 40k universe, plus it has a bit more of a creative touch to it than "they eat weird food" (no offense anyone :)).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, I'm still new here so if fluff doesn't go here let me know but this is what I came up with for my blue Orks. please let me know what people think and forgive my grammar. I would have written it in Ork but that's still a bit challenging for me. Enjoy.

In the solar system Kyanos lies a dying sun, and a growing Waaagh! Months ago an Orky Rok came to this system in search of another Waaagh! But the darkened sun ruined the navigation sending chunks into Kokako an illuminated swamp world flushed with flora, fissions, and fiends. The Orks that survived the crash found the plant to be paradise, monstrous beasts after their tough hides. The band had found themselves shortly on the list of edibles by the larger fiends fighting for each day only to find themselves quickly outnumbered and out smarted. What didn’t catch and devour them the carnivorous plants lured and digested.

It was the Warphead Waa’baa last survivor of the doomed mob, demanded the gods give him shelter. With no answer and lunchtime impending he focused his energy to tear his surroundings to buy time from the monsters that so favored his Orky flesh. So absorbed in psychic energy he wrecked the orbiting moon, splintering chunks of rocks hurdling stone towards the planets surface. The devastation left a clearing for Waa’baa build what was lost.

Waa’baa shed his green husk and what was left of the green tide that had crashed was gone and from the singed soil arose Da Moon Breakaz. With numbers surmounting the Warboss Waa’baa lead his surge of blue Orks to the stars beyond.

·
2,076 Posts
Pretty good, except Waagh! power is directly proportional to the number of Orks by how excited they are.
So if he is the last Ork, he would not have the power to crash a moon. Also it doesn't quite explain why they are blue.

Maybe they are fighting the monstrous inhabitants of the planet and he decides to knock a cliff on a particularly big monster, alas he loses control of the blast due to the number of Orks and instead pulls the moon out of Orbit. Unable to control the power flowing from the Orks, he drains them of their healthy Green glow and they are left a strange blue colour as the moon plummets into the atmosphere and kills most of the warband, as well as throwing the planet out of orbit and into an ice age.

The orks multiply again, unconcerned at the cold while the locals die. They rebuild their rok and set off to plunder and Waagh!

As Orks consider blue to be lucky, and often use it as warpaint, the Orks are sure it is a sign from Mork that they are destined for good things.. and are sure they may get greener again eventually.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh come on you lot - read page 15 of the codex. It clearly says that the Deathskulls paint looted stuff blue to establish it as their own. They believe that blue attracts them to the eye of their god and protects them from harm. "The supersticious Deathskulls even use blue warpaint sometimes going so far as to paint themselves blue from head to toe on the night before battle"

It all sounds pretty gross to me, I strongly suggest you paint a few that colour before going mad with 100 models. I have to say though, blue-grey sounds one whole lot better than the rather loud blue shown on page 80 of the Codex with the pic of the Deathskulls.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have to say though, blue-grey sounds one whole lot better than the rather loud blue shown on page 80 of the Codex with the pic of the Deathskulls.
Well, I like the way they are pictured in the Codex. I guess it's one of those classics that you can't debate and where every painter has to do what he/she likes best. Like the French say: "Chacun son gout". :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts