Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting up an escalation league in a bit and it apparently starts at 1000. Not sure how much has changed. Orks have same dex and others got new ones which generally tells me that other armies got stronger.
So I generally like to build my armies very aggressive and with a high value to point cost ratio.
Problems Im encountering is of which ranged options to pick which im sure is entirely meta dependent.
IE(points-wise): 6 Kannons (150) = 10 Lootas(150) = 20 Boyz(145) = Dakkajet(130) = Battlewagon (125). Lots of choices....

Right now I think im looking at
30 Boyz Shootas, 3 Big Shootas, Nob Big Choppa (210)
30 Boyz Shootas, 3 Big Shootas, Nob Big Choppa (210)
10 Gretchin, Runtherd (40)
10 Lootas (150)
3x 3 Big Gunz +5 Extra Krew (225)
1 HQ (not sure yet)

so 165 left and down a HQ. Like I could get Grotsnik, not sure if he makes boyz run towards units, if so then hes a nogo. I could cut a couple points get a wazdakka which might be nice in a lowpoints game, or just a reg Warboss on bike. Im not super sold on MegaWarboss cause im pretty sure he wont see action all game.

So theres my swing at it. Im pretty sure that its at its worst its ok. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Love the idea! I wanted my league that I am active in try to do an escalation force, forcing me to paint up my army, but I could never quite sell it.

You have a good start overall. Not sure when you last played but Orks haven't changed too much from 5th to 6th edition. As this forum recommends always boyz before toys. Two 30 man squads is a nice start to build around.

Gretchin are good for sitting on objectives in the back field but be careful with them. With flyers there are a lot of armies that can contest objectives in your back field late game.

I have no experience with Big Gunz but I hear they got a lot better in 6th edition. Many max out our Heavy slot with them so I would say keep them!

HQ's I personally would say is where we are weakest at. For this point level I would go ahead and get just a regular warboss you can throw into one of the boys squads. With challanges and our PK's making us swing last I fear our HQ's and nobs have become fairly weak. Save the points for what really matters....

And what matters is our lootas! Lootas are fantastic in this edition and one of the best units Orks have at their disposal. Assuming your HQ would cost around 100 points I'd try to bolster up the lootas squad for now. If you add enough split the squads to two squads of 7. They earn their points back almost every game and are great at popping AV10-12 vehicles for us.

There's my two cents. Keep us posted on how your army builds and what you decide to go with!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Shebang is right that Orks haven't changed much unless you used to run a kan wall. Walkers aren't as strong but we got buffs elsewhere. Boys before toys is what each Warboss should live and die by. We are not deathwing.

I've used kannons in 6th and they are great. Don't think I'd max out my slots with them though, cause lobbas are even better now too. You can get units hiding behind terrain and can snipe out special/heavy weapons with the way barrage weapons work now. Put the crew in front of the guns too, as they are also toughness 7.

For an HQ keep it cheap at 1000 points, so no named characters. I'd go KFF mek or cheap Warboss.

Don't forget boom wagons for shooting too. A large strength 8 ap 3 pie plate can wreak people's day.

You could use some quick interference units like buggies or koptas too, to take the heat off the rest of the army.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts