Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've spent a couple weeks figuring out how to make a new dakkawagon cost effective and usable. The idea I have uses up 2 force org slots, but is not that bad, unless you roll escalation, then your kinda stuck. Basically your taking a minimum unit of 5 lootas, and choosing to upgrade 3 to Meks, then swapping out their kustom mega blastas for big shootas, and mount them in a heavy slot battlewagon with 4 Big shootas. Here's what your looking at

Lootas x5-3 meks, Big shoota upgrade (free)=75 pts ** math originally wrong** thanks clearasil!
Battlewagon + 4 big shoota= 110
New Dakka wagon with no other updgrades 155 pts.

So for 155 you get 21 str 5 shoots... compared to the older edition which was roughly double the cost. You can still Hard top it, give it plates, a roller, whatever you want, but the primary goal is to sit and shoot. Maybe even consider a kannon or lobba

Thoughts?

Reactions: psichotykwyrm

·
Registered
112 Posts
I believe it would be an injustice to not add a Deff Rolla to said Dakkawagon. True, the main purpose of it is to be shooty, but what ork would truly waste an opportunity to smoosh stuff under the spiky iron rolla of orky justice? Great idea though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
First of all, five lootas are 75 points (15 times 5 = 75) and I'd like to add red paint job and grot riggas, only 10 pts and you sure want to keep moving with the wagon all the time. Deff rolla isn't a bad idea, would be very efficient anti-infantry wagon there.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Maybe even consider a kannon or lobba

Just remember, the lobba is a guess range weapon and would have to follow all the rules for vehicles firing barrage weapons. So it couldn't move or fire anything else if it fires the lobba. And a kannon might not be so hot on a vehicle where its only BS2...

Otherwise I like your Dakkawagon idea. It would definitely be best left open-topped, because fire points would suck, and that way if it stayed still the two regular lootas can shoot as well.

I like Tankbustas in my wagon, but I'll have to try out your Dakka Wagon in a smaller game...8Y

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the catch on math.. sad part in my head I honestly did the math as 45 twice at work..wow. Anyway, leaving off the lobba is probably a good idea, i'm a fan of the kannon for the extra shot, but its not mandatory. I used to run 2 dakka wagons in my old flash gitz army as:
Wagon- 3x3 TL big shootas, 5 bolt ons, 10x flashgitz with 4 big shootas, nob with big shoota
=9 TL shots + 30 regular

The current layout is cheaper, and pretty shooty for its cost.
=21 shots. Still not as many, but with the possibility of 2 for 1 wagons its still a viable option, plus armor 14 makes you that much more survivable.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Possibilities

I heard a rumor that with the new rules, only strength 4 weapons or lower are considered defensive weapons for vehicles, so you'll literally have to be standing still to get all of your shots. Right now it isn't a problem, but I'm just saying, it may not work in the near future.

Honestly though, I can't see why you'd want to move much. As soon as you're within 36in, which should be 2nd turn, if not 1st, just fire away. That way, you'll also get the loota shots, as well as all the big shootas. I wouldn't put red paint or a rolla on this. It isn't a bad idea in general, but you want assault wagons to contain assault troops, and shooty wagons to contain shooty troops. Combining the two into one wagon will make it less effective, and cost a lot more. If you really want a deffrolla, I'd field a second wagon, with nobz or tankbustas inside.

I often field a light version of the wagon you've made, although it has nowhere as much dakka:

Looted Wagon w/big shoota
5 Tankbustas

Total cost: 115

I have to say, even though it's 70 points more, your wagon seems a lot more effective than mine. By my math (which can't always be trusted) when my wagon gets within 24in, it'll kill 1.88 meqs a turn. Your wagon, if moving, gets 2.66 meq kills at 36in. If it isn't moving, you also get the loota shots, which will raise the total to about 3.12 dead marines. Considering you also get 14/12/10 armor, opposed to 11/11/10, your wagon definitely comes out ahead. I'll have to give it a try.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also was looking at looted

I was looking at the looted wagon version last night. My concerns are the armor 11 and the amount of firepower it will draw. However, in smaller IE 1000-1500 pt games I feel the looted wagon can really shine due to the low points cost/ investment. It still pours a nice amount of firepower which will give people something to think about. The armor 14 of the wagon gives it nice survivability, making it immune to autocannons and heavy bolters, and making it perfect vs troops with good terrain. You right on target, I don't move it. Often I put it right in terrain, and force hull down rolls, increasing its survivability. With good terrain, and clever list building its hard to displace and easy to defend from opponents heavier weapons.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Problematic

I was looking at the looted wagon version last night. My concerns are the armor 11 and the amount of firepower it will draw. However, in smaller IE 1000-1500 pt games I feel the looted wagon can really shine due to the low points cost/ investment. It still pours a nice amount of firepower which will give people something to think about. The armor 14 of the wagon gives it nice survivability, making it immune to autocannons and heavy bolters, and making it perfect vs troops with good terrain. You right on target, I don't move it. Often I put it right in terrain, and force hull down rolls, increasing its survivability. With good terrain, and clever list building its hard to displace and easy to defend from opponents heavier weapons.
Long story short: looted wagons explode. This isn't always a bad thing, as a looted wagon way out front, blocking line of sight to all your other units, can be a great distraction from the rest of your army. The problem is that they die very easily, and I often view them as sacrificial units when placed near the front. With the ordnance gun, they definitely aren't bad as fire support, but I wouldn't ship troops in them unless they were very expendable.

If you're going for the 'gunboat' wagon, I'd definitely use the battlewagon. Looted wagons are still good, but I wouldn't sink too many points into them. They explode far too easy. A single big shoota, combined with a minimum number of lootas or tankbustas, is still my heavy choice for 1000 point games though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.