Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When browsing through the army lists posted, i often see a tac sqaud tooled up to go rip up the enemy in close combat

eg: Tactical sqaud omega
10 marines, Vet. Sgt. with power fist and BP 180pts

I find a better way to do this is to use an assault sqaud without jump packs. The rules allow you to take assault sqauds without jump packs for 15pts/marine - the same as a tac marine. The advantage of using assault sqauds is that you get an extra attack for having two weapons BP/CCW, and free frag grenades.

This option gives you an extra 9 attacks, and the ability to easily take on units in cover for the same cost

Owned.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Or you can take The chapter trait called "take teh fight to them" where you replace the bolters on tactical marines! then you get the exact same squad, without using up a fast attaack squad!

now seriousyl, why dont you just take the chapter trait?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you could take the trait, but then you have to take a disadvantage trait. Also you dont get the frag g's. And if you're playing with official rules, to take the trait you have to have a whole new chapter (colours and all) meaning a huge paint job if you already have models painted for ultramarines (or any of the other major chapters). Final word, in small battles 1000 or 1500pts, you generally dont use all the fast attack spaces, and in larger battles, you can afford to use two force organization charts, allowing 6 fast attack choices

Taking the trait is a good idea if you plan to deepstrike with drop pods, as assault sqauds can't take them.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Assault squads on foot don't get any transports (except heavy support Land Raiders) though, so have to slog across the field on foot. Not recommended really :)

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
*DELETED*

Nevermind. . . a silly rule prevents it. :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
true, they do have to foot slog it if you use it that way, but they also make a great counter attack unit for deepstriking enemies or trhreats to your firebase. you could also march it up the field behind terrain/another unit.
So there are some advantages to using them, but generally only in larger battles when you can afford to have a counter attack unit to hang back, or in battles when you know your enemy is going to deepstrike their units.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Actually your plan to use them as counter-charge unit is somewhat flawed. I find things which move 6" to be impossible to use effectively that way because 1. If ur slow ur CC-oriented opp can usually outmaneuver u with his CC units which are almost moving faster. 2. It's kinda hard to get the charge with something which moves 6" and assaults 6"...and marines really do need all the attacks they can get in CC, coz they aren't all that good offensively in CC really.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Just an observation of your post. The easiest way (well, not quite but it is almost there) to get an initial bad reaction to a thread is to include any of the following words in the title:
Ownage
Skillz (with a "z")
DOOM
Uber
!!!!!​
I am aware that you only used two of those, but don't let two seague into more.

·
Registered
92 Posts
IMO what you are suggesting is just doom for the assault squad. They have a pitiful range without jump packs. If you were to face tau you would be owned, not the one doing ownage. To face any army that sits back and shoots you to death would spell certain doom for you if you were using this tactic. Even to go against another SM army would not bode well.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The only way I see assault squads to do well without jump packs is if there are units that are already in your enemies face so they don't get shot at foot slogging. Plus they would need fire support to help their advance. I made a list a while back that used an assault squad without packs and of course, people on this site did not like it.

Still I went ahead with the conversion and made my assault marines to have the choice of jump packs or regular packs with magnets. Without reposting that list I'll give you the jist of it. 2 command squads, both with infiltrate, 1 maxed out for CC, the other has 2 lascannons and apothecary. Missile devastator squad, scout CC squad, scout sniper squad, full tactical squad with HB, tank hunter drednaught, some LS I think and the full assault squad without jump packs.

Reasoning: The infiltrators set up together, snipers & lascannons behind CC scouts and CC command squad. They deploy last and get deployment advantage. While your opponent worries about the closing in CC units and that nasty lascannon unit you pummel them with missiles and your dred from afar while your tactical squad supports the advance of your assault marines. The key is that no unit acts alone and units support other units. I can't stress this enough.

So I like assault marines, they work well with jump packs and CAN work without them. I have a few minis to update and get to tabletop standards but I'll post how they fare eventually.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts