Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most people in the U.S. i'm sitting in the middle of a very large cold front and i've started wondering. I recently just got some paint and what not and i was wondering has any one experienced there paint freezing? I haven't mixed much water into the paint (just because i have NO idea how much water i should be using) but all of my painting equipment along with my minatures are down in my basement. It is a half above ground half below ground ( I live on small hill so the front of my basement is below, the back of it is above) and it gets pretty cold down there without my space heater on. Should i move any of it upstairs where the air is better circulated and heated or do you think its ok down there?

It goes down to around 10 or 15 degrees at night outside, i'm not sure how cold it is downstairs but its pretty frigid i haven't measured it yet. Really i'm just asking will my paint & minis be ok in the cold? and if so how cold can they get before i gotta start finding a new room to take over?

P.S. I go away to college so this is also me worrying about the rest of the winter, i won't be around to watch how they do haha

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
I guess you could leave a glass of cold water out in your basement and see if that starts to freeze. Make sure that the water is very cold so that if it's going to freeze it will. If not it will just be the same temperature as it's surroundings, however chilly that is. You could also try to use a thermometer, that will tell you exactly how cold it is or is not.

I'm not sure if paints freezing is a bad thing. A pain in the rear if you want to use them. However if they should freeze and then thaw in your absence it may not be a problem. This is because when you return it will be liquid again. I don't think freezing will damage your paints. You could always try to freeze a pot of paint you don't like and se what happens once you thaw it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Freezing water based acrylic paints is not good. It damages the binders in the paint and the paint can seperate. It may also have a hard time sticking to the model perminitly. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah, I think it will be fine in the basement. It should not get below 45 or so unless it is near 0 outside for a rather long time. I think you will be fine. Just put them in a box and throw a blanket on top... you will be fine.

·
Registered
490 Posts
if you are going to see if a glass of water freezes, use a glass of room temperature water. DO NOT use cold water for this test... Cold water actually takes longer to freeze than room temperature water.. I have no clue why, it just does.. Defies logic.. Something to do with the energy it takes to freeze, and it taking more to work on the molecules of water that are already in a state of cold..

Anyway.. just use the water form a water bottle that hasn't been in the fridge.

But honestly, your best bet is to take your paints, and move them upstairs to a closet in the hallway placed neatly in a box for safe keeping.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well... I don't want this thread to turn into a phyisics debate, or a talk about thermodynamics so... I think there is no need to do a water test because acrylic paints start to become lease stable just above freezing anyway. If you are really that worried about the temp dropping that low, put them some place else. It would be better the warmer, but I think you should be fine.

·
Registered
490 Posts
but you didnt start the post.. what if he wanted a discussion on physical science? JK it is true about the paints.. keep em warm but avoid high heats.. evaporation is just as bad as freezing

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh WoW jeez you guys really responded haha. Thanks a lot i went down and got the temperature and its around 40(Fahrenheit) so hopefully its ok. I'll definitely move them up when i go back to school. Thanks again guys!

·
Schemer
481 Posts
I often transport my paints in my car boot (outside temperature is -20 Celsius here around this time of year) and my paints are still ok.
As long as the temperature doesn't go down to around 0 Celsius I say your safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.