Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Primed the mini black, but since they are Scaven for Blood Bowl, I was having trouble getting into all the cracks. Probably had to prime them 3 time total. Now, which paitning if the model bumps anything I can see the silver of the model showing though. To make it work the paint and prime came completely off on a tail. What woud have cause the paints to not set well?

Any helps and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

·
Registered
109 Posts
ive never had this probem before. but did you remember to wash the models with soap and water before priming (or better yet assembling). i do this, but maye if you forgot this step this kinda effect would happen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rinsed them off in water....didn't use soap. Maybe that is the problem. I thought maybe since they were Skaven I was having a hard time getting all the liitle nooks and crannies, so I added another layer of primer, then another. Then while paiting if i dropped the figure or lightly scrapped it across the table I would notice the paint was chipping, then the tail had amost half the paint peal off. It was sort of damp and chilly outside when I did the spraying, maybe that was it.

Does anyone know if Simply Green gets the primer off? What about the Purple Stuff, does anyone know if it removes all the paint and primer? Also, on the Purple Stuff, do you use the household formula of it?

·
1,053 Posts
Simple green and mean green both work. I really think mean green works better and you can get that a Dollar General for about half the price of simple green. Now this may sound screwed up but bake you minis.

I will explain. I burn coal in my basement. So my basement is very warm and dry right now. It makes for a good area to spray paint minis. My basement will get 80 to 90 degrees. So the heat and dry area makes my minis dry very quick and very nice. The primer holds really good to. I don't know if it's just a myth or not but I've been told heat areas makes spray paint work better. In my exp. it seems to be true.

·
King of the Burning Sands
1,258 Posts
Simple green and mean green both work. I really think mean green works better and you can get that a Dollar General for about half the price of simple green. Now this may sound screwed up but bake you minis.
Remember kids, don't do drugs. Because miniatures do drugs, but weren't always miniatures now were they?

YouTube - I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Don't forget to varnish your models after painting, too. This is good because it tends to dull the "shine" of inks, washes and paint, but more importantly it prevents the chipping problem you refer to.

There are many, many brands, with 2-3 opinions per brand. I don't use spray varnish myself, but since the rest of the world does, I've heard Krylon or Testors make a spray matte varnish that should work nicely.

NOTE: Make sure you use MATTE varnish, as opposed to gloss varnish, which leaves a finish that looks... well... glossy.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It won't peel off or chip if you varnish it.

·
Egg Head Miniatures:fbook
1,900 Posts
Something of great importance to note is paint depth. The thicker the combined layers of paint the higher the chance of chips, even with varnish. For your next few models do a dust coat of your base colour and then, once dry, a proper coat. Any bits that don't get done paint in with a brush. Then start painting proper.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
490 Posts
And never spray paint them while it is damp... The paint will grab the molecules of water, and will ruin the adherance to the plastic / pewter.

After you get your coats of primer (from all angles) go back and brush in a matching color to get the hard to reach spots.

I spray Front top angled down. Dry. Back top angled down. Dry. Front bottom angled up. Dry. Back bottom angled up. Dry. Then I look for larger areas that were missed in those, and quick spray those areas. Then after dry, I will brush in the paint... My primer jobs are not thick (anymore as I have learned how to prime more efficiently than I used to). And I have only had the problem you are having once because of the moisture in the air.

As stated.. after you finish painting your mini to desired perfection, seal it with a varnish... (matte preferably)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts