Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't good enough for the painting section, and the photo is awful too, so I added a funny caption. I like to think of Severius as more of a health nut. You don't live to his terrible age without taking care of yourself. Plus, he's really tall, so he probably spent a little time on the Wrack, too.

I think the dried-out, cracked earth thing came out OK.

Please critique my painting (or my sense of humor. I know I spelled 'Excrutiating' wrong.)

I don't know if I'm going to start one of those "Quick's Protectorate Blog" things, but funny pictures are always a nice interlude, right?

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
funny pictures are always a nice interlude, right?
Well, I liked it... :D

This isn't good enough for the painting section, and the photo is awful too, so I added a funny caption.
Not good enough, you say? Judging by my standards it looks very impressive. Nice, clean colours, it looks like you can use highlights and washes better than I can...

So, I'm impressed. Maybe you could start a caption contest if you don't want a Blog one!

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Nice job on him. He looks good, and so does the wrack.

So, I'm impressed. Maybe you could start a caption contest if you don't want a Blog one!
Hmm... now THAT'S an original idea! Post it in the painting forum, and I'll bet you'll get a lot of other submissions! Might make for a lively thread!

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the things that I'd noticed (and this also goes to the whole 'custom character' thing in another thread in this subforum) is that because I'm painting a named character with his own story and all that, I cannot bring myself to deviate from the 'official' paint scheme.

You can imagine the kind of difficulty this causes when painting my Trollkin, trying to effectively copy the characters' kriel's tartan.

Also, photographing while is really hard. Next time, instead of a while background, I'm going to try using a neon-colored background so Photoshop can more effectively pick out the model.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
One of the things that I'd noticed is that because I'm painting a named character with his own story and all that, I cannot bring myself to deviate from the 'official' paint scheme.
This would, as you have said, make things difficult...

I find this when I look through Codex's or Army books. I look at the wonderfully painted minis and just go, "That looks so cool, I wanna paint my armies like that!"

Then I come to my senses and realise that I can't, because I'm not good enough.

It's harsh, but it keeps me sane. And I kind of enjoy making up my own scheme and seeing it actually work on the models.

Next time, instead of a while background, I'm going to try using a neon-colored background so Photoshop can more effectively pick out the model
Dare I suggest you paint the model neon? That would solve both problems in one go!

Neon trolls... :X
Just... forget I even mentioned it, ok?

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Funny, I plan to pick up some Cygnar this weekend (my first!) and while I hate to do the "ordinary" faction color, I can't imagine anything else that looks good. Funny, I can imagine, say, white Khador, violet Menoth, even a white Cryx with ice blue highlights, but Cygnar... I can't figure what to do with it.

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
Those don't look half-bad, actually, quick. I like your text, too. ;)

Canew: I've found that both green and red work well for Cygnar. If you stick to blue and metalics for the armour, and do the cloth bits (overcoats and whatnot) in browns and grees, it looks pretty good. My Gunmages, painted by my fiance right after she finished the anime series: Trigun, have bright red coats and yellow goggles. ;) They really accent the rest of the army well.

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
Funny, I plan to pick up some Cygnar this weekend (my first!) and while I hate to do the "ordinary" faction color, I can't imagine anything else that looks good. Funny, I can imagine, say, white Khador, violet Menoth, even a white Cryx with ice blue highlights, but Cygnar... I can't figure what to do with it.
If you can get hold of it, take a look at page 52 and 53 of Superiority. It shows an grey/yellow alternative colour scheme for Cygnar and I must say that it looks very nice.

Also, pink Cryx.
Fear The Pink Reaper - Privateer Press Forums

Do a search on Zoroastre on the PP boards and bath in all of his unholy, pink Cryxians. :p

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw a Khador army that was painted like a "real" army. Which is to say, mostly drab and olive green. The 'Jacks looked like they'd been slogging through the mud and all the Units looked like they were wearing actual uniforms, not just wearing an alomost inappropriate amount of red.

I found it to be really impressive-looking, but it didn't feel Khardic enough for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.