Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Generally, I'd say no. I know that there are some people who do this, and the sometimes have pretty good looking models, but I wouldn't, you could ruin the paint with glue, or trying to clean the parts after cutting them, etc. So I'd go with no.

·
Registered
696 Posts
if your model is goign to hold his gun over the chest then dont glue the arms then paint the body but do not paint the socket because glue and paint doesnt stick. Once the actual body is doen then glue and paint arms.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Actually the best way to paint a "closecorner" model is to paint him when he is unassembled.
You thereby make it possible to put detail into every crack and corner of the model.
If you have a problem with getting glue over the painted areas, then I would say your using to much glue.

·
Registered
239 Posts
if ure lazy glue the rank'n'file troops but paint ure more prominent models this douse make more work for touch ups so only leave one joine to the sprue and the least noticeable as for the glue problem lightly file the area u want to glue with an old desposable nale file

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
It depends on how you like to do things really, and how much time you are willing to put into your minis.
I paint my marines unassembled. This allows me to paint every bit of the model, including the parts while the weapon would normally be in the way.

I cure the glue/paint problem by puting small bits of bluetac on the parts that will be glued. So when I undercoat my minis and paint them, these joints will be untouced.
It however, will take alot longer than just sticking and painting, but meh, I like my minis to be of a fair standard so I'm willing to give them the time.

·
Registered
969 Posts
It depends solely on the model for me. I glue as much as i can toghether without harming detail and then anything that will get in the way of detail gets painted before being glued on.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I go so far as to paint individual components before I even attach them, this is extremely time consuming ( just like every one says it is ) but gives the best result

·
Registered
239 Posts
the only problem is coherency so i do every thing one model at a time and things like high lights and such are done after every thing is asembeled

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
That's understandable.
The thing is just that painting the model before assembling it allow more detail, most of the time at least.
But it is as you say, to get the real feel of the highlight you will need to assemble the model or at least the components that require the highlight.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i did this with a tyranid swarm(9x models(less than half done)), efect is great, but i cant seem to get the varnish right... therfore i cant move the models anywhere, withoutn having to repain them afterwards
which can be destressing, btu nto as bad as glueing necrons :'(((

·
Registered
117 Posts
The reason why I glue before painting is because you know those little corners which are hardly visible? I once spent an hour perfecting the upper half of a space marine all to find out that once i glued it:
1. The little details werent at all visible :(
2. The glue covered some detail and it had to be redone :( :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.