Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Would you reccomend painting miniatures before or after assembling them?

Ben

·
Borderlands addict
971 Posts
Both!

It depends on what type of miniature it is really. An intricate one that has many bits and pieces of different colour could be painted and then stuck on to the final model. However a models that can be built with fairly open poses would benefit with a paint job after assembly. To be honest though, if you are going to glue stuff together after assembly you must make sure all surfaces have no paint or primer on them and that you try to use as minimal amount of glue as possible.

Hope that helps. I am typing this at 1 in the morning:z so i apologise if it doesn't make sense.:p

:happy:

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Before, but it depends on the difficulty of the particular models, tanks and big objects can be painted well afterwards, but troops I would do before.

·
Painting Machine!
2,668 Posts
Right, I just assemble based on what makes sense, like what parts I can paint together without parts being in the way. For example, a Bretonnian Knight, I divide into the following parts:

1. Half the horse (because the whole horse has the legs get in the way (I'm no The Paint Monkey)
2. The other half of the horse (with head)
3. The whole knight with arms and such
4. The shield.

I paint these each separately, and then put them together. There's several bits and pieces in each "part", but they make sense to me this way.

Tekore

·
Paintwater cup != tea mug
620 Posts
I paint after assembly. It means I can game with unpainted models, and anywhere that I can't easily reach with a brush is nowhere people are going to look, so I don't need the same level of detail.

·
is Alpharius
477 Posts
Hi everyone. Would you reccomend painting miniatures before or after assembling them?

Ben

I would recomend what Addy said there, I would do a hybrid of the two. Assemble the main torso and such (this means that you can GS those ugly gaps and stuff) then I would do any filing work that had to be done ie mold lines, flashing for metal figures. What I like doing sometimes is after assembly and checking the postioning of the figures( making shure everything lines up and so forth) is priming the figures, then removing moldlines, it acts as a guidecoat then just touching up the primer. After that I usually stick the arms on pins ( I pin most of my models) then you can use the pins as holding devices. I like to use a old pin drill I have to hold the pinned pieces. Then its paint to your hearts content. I know its alot of work, but in painting the outcome is 90% dependent on your prepwork. The more love and care you put into prepping the figures up, then better the outcome.

·
Registered
231 Posts
another suggetstion is if your too lazy, like me. Assemble everything but back packs or guns if possible prime/paint on sprue and add as desire. I also like priming/painting the little add decorations on the sprue...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Interesting. It seems to me that a lot of people has this "problem" - paint before or after assembly.
To me, as to a lot of other experienced painters on this site, nothing is just black or white.
So, my tip, like many others is - Assemble as much as You can and still be able to reach all nooks and crannies. Pre-paint parts like weapons and backpack, where You can't reach the backside when assembled, but that still is visible...

Good luck!

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
Simplest answer I can think of would be to assemble as much as you can to paint it the best way you can/want.

I would recommend not priming and painting on the sprue for one reason: When you clip the model off the sprue you will most likely get an unsightly lump of plastic that will require further cleaning. Not to mention it is much more difficult to clean mold lines. Also you won't get as clean of a bond when gluing the pieces together with plastic cement.

When painting in pieces I recommend getting a liquid mask to cover the joints while painting. This scrapes off really easy afterwards keeping your paintjob intact and allowing for a good bond when gluing. Usually only minor touch ups are needed afterwards.

Cheers,

-Mike

·
Registered
121 Posts
It really depends, and you should make a judgement call.

Example:

Dark Elf Spearmen => Assemble then paint, there arn't any hard parts to reach

Wood Elf Glade Guard => Assemble then paint, you'll be kicking yourself for painting the whole cape backside only to realised that over 50% of it won't be seen.

Horses => Really depends on you

As a rule of thumb I: prime, glue, then paint (only do this if you prime black 100% of the time like me, since if you can't reach it it will stay black and act as a shadow.)

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
Typically I'll assemble first, maybe leaving a few bits off. One recent exception would be my giant, 7 pieces and two accessories all seperate for painting, he's looking lovely too. I've left my chariot crew off as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts