Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I usually suck at painting so I am humbling myself and asking for help. I am creating a chapter of Space Marines called the Guardians of the Black Throne, and they have of course black armor. Now the thing is I want them to look good to( go figure) and I would appreciate any tips on painting Matte black armor. Thanks.

·
Bork! Bork! Bork!
416 Posts
I orginally just primed the models with black primer but that doesn't look very good so I suggest you highlight the shoulder guards, and the rim near the back of the foot on the Space Marines leg, thats all I can highlight because I'm not too good at painting but i hope this helps.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ok so, black armor... do not under any circumstance try to dry-brush. Or you are gonna be making grey knights. with black armor 2 things are key. 1. good basecoat (may take several THIN black layers). 2. less is more. Black armor is best rendered with jus tthe very smallest highlights. In fact, some people obtain a fantastic finish (for gaming purposes, not competition) by layering lots of gloss on straight black.
With my black templars I found that highlighting a FEW key raised pieces of armor with a very fine grey line (ok, so 4-5shades and a white dot) worked great.
GW has a good article that has some different styles/methods. In particular, read the part about tone/black. Using a brown may help the matte finish

GW Online : Warhammer 40,000 : Space Marines : Painting Black Armour

good luck! Oh and send me a pic if it works! cheers!

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
I typically blend up from black using bleached bone as the brightener - its not as strong a finish as any of the greys you can buy. Thus I feel it is less distracting from the black itself, a problem I often see when people use, say, codex grey (the contrast is often too stark).

So yeah, I mix in a tiny bit of bleached bone into the chaos black on my palette, and paint the larger area I want to be highlighted. Next, add a little more bleached bone, and repeat, within a small area.

Repeat this, until you have the maximum highlight you wish to achieve.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you heavily water down your mix, and wait for it to mostly dry on the mini, painting more than one marine at a time could help this. Otherwise the highlighting can look too staggered.

It should also be noted that when wet, the highlighting you apply will be brighter than it will actually be when it is dry - keep this in mind. Its probably a good idea to practise on something else first.

Hope this helps!

P.S Although it is mostly yellow, you can see the black sections of my marines below, I highlighted them with this method. The photo aint the best, and the highlighting itself may be a little thick, but maybe you can make out what I mean:

Reactions: The Fifth Horseman

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
I guess to go for the edges is the best advice I can give you, myself I like to shade the armour in my own special way but it can be damn hard to get right.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys, you're suggestions are really helpful, and I think I will try Cadaver Junkie's method, It looks like what I want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.