Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it has been 11 years since I last painted one, I sought advice from a friend of mine who is really good with his painting. He said that after the white primer to use Mechrite Red watered down about 3:1, then wash the armour dark and then "clean up" the armour with Blood red (To make the armour look used and not totally bright red).

I tried this, but I find that it takes a good few coats of the Mechrite Red and maybe 3 washes to get the desired effect. Is this down to too much water being used or is it just the way it is?

Any advice on this would be appreciated :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Are you using the Baal Red Wash? And to all of the people on the painting forums, I am a terrible painter so forgive me when I say this but how exactly do you get a 3:1 mix of Mechrite red? This would be helpful to get my painting better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The recent WD that covered the space hulk release had a very in depth article on how eavy metal paint their angels, worth a peek.
Thanks for that, will have to pick it up :D

Are you using the Baal Red Wash? And to all of the people on the painting forums, I am a terrible painter so forgive me when I say this but how exactly do you get a 3:1 mix of Mechrite red? This would be helpful to get my painting better.
Basically, he was telling me to put 3 parts Mechrite Red into a pallete (Or a ceramic tile in my case) then put 1 large drop of water into it to thin it out as Mechrite Red is a foundation paint. You could also get this effect from using a different paint like Red Gore or possibly Baal Red. If you take a sneaky peek on Youtube, there are quite a few tutorials for Blood Angels. At the moment, i'm experimenting but was wondering what other peoples methods were as i'm new myself :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Exactly how much is one part? Like a drop of mechrite red?

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
I'll let you in on trick- if you thin the Mechrite with a red ink (not wash) rather than water then you can get away with fewer coats, usually.

·
Registered
490 Posts
OK when someone says 3:1 Ratio. imagine a pie.. Mechrite red will take up 3 of the 4 pieces of pie, and the water will take up 1 piece of the 4 EQUALLY sized pieces of Pie..

In other words, add 3 drops of mechrite red of equal size, and then add a single drop of water equal in size to a single drop of the red... Basic Fractions..

It does not mean add three drops of mechrite red, then add a large drop of water. You will thin the paint too much. If the viscosity of the paint breaks up like skim milk you have thinned it way too much. If the paint wants to flow out off the brush, but refuses to break away from the rest of the paint, your mix is about right, but may be still too thin.

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
OK when someone says 3:1 Ratio. imagine a pie.. Mechrite red will take up 3 of the 4 pieces of pie, and the water will take up 1 piece of the 4 EQUALLY sized pieces of Pie..

In other words, add 3 drops of mechrite red of equal size, and then add a single drop of water equal in size to a single drop of the red... Basic Fractions..

It does not mean add three drops of mechrite red, then add a large drop of water. You will thin the paint too much. If the viscosity of the paint breaks up like skim milk you have thinned it way too much. If the paint wants to flow out off the brush, but refuses to break away from the rest of the paint, your mix is about right, but may be still too thin.
Hmmmmmm...... Pie.

Now i think about it though, I've never had much luck using Foundations as washes- they always go all.... gritty, for want of a better word.

·
Registered
370 Posts

Thanks so much for you help that is really helpful. Would you suggest a water dropper to use or what do you use to get the best equal mix?

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
My paints are Reaper Paints. (Eye-dropper type bottles) So I do get a good idea of how much paint I am putting out. As to the water, I actually eyeball it myself.

I was just putting the info out there, because there are people who actually don't understand what a ratio is, or how to get it. But when they are old enough to drink, and start mixing drinks themselves, they will want to know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good to know there are vids on YouTube for the BA...as they stole the paint scheme from the Order of the Bloody Rose SoB Chapter (which I a painting now)

And yes...they STOLE it :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts