Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

having at last finished a group of infantrymen, I'm now on painting a RBT. I am very undecided about how to paint it, but I got two chances. Given that I try to keep my palette as cold as possible, with my most used colours being blue, silver and white (original, uh?They're not combined in the usual way, for what matters) I am unsure whether to paint it:

- white wooden parts + blue metal parts
- white wooden parts + silver metal parts

With option one I guess there would be more contrast on the model, but I'd have problems in making the gems and the such stand out, since I'm painting them blue.
On the other hand, maybe option two would look flatter, being mainly white ad sort of lightish gray,but details such as bolts' plumes and gem would stand out easily.

So what do you guys advise? Anyone got any pics of some RBTs painted in unusual/inspiring way, or even similar to what I plan?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'd go with white wood and blue metal, I think blue gems on silver, when next to the white, would look quite odd. plus blue metal is very cool.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I did mine I did blue wood with bronze metal and emerald gems. It ended up looking pretty killer, despite my poor painting ability lol. I'd do white wood (since you're figured out you want to do that) and then silver metal. Blue metal WOULD be cool, but unless its like a gunmetal blue I don't know if it'd look that good. What I'd suggest doing for the gems would be to pick a gem that fits your color scheme (sapphires would work, but there might be something else that you may want to do. Rubies would be awesome, but the fiery-ness of the ruby wouldn't be too in depth with your color scheme.) Then, everywhere there are gems in your army, use that gem. That's what I would do :)

Of course if you REALLY want to shake things up you can do Silver 'Wood' (to make it look like it's made of metal) blue metal and white detailing. It'd look nuts, but I bet it'd be cool.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the wood is going to be white (also because I've already started doing so :p). Trying to gain time in order to decide what colour to go with. Mostly I'm trying to achieve a cold feel to my army as much as possible, so I'm trying to avoid warm colours such as gold or red.

Got any pics of your RBT? I'm curious about that :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
jou might want to mix mithril silver with a bit of regal blue/ice blue, this will give you a nice metallic :)

i would give the gems a contrasting colour, you could use a different tone of blue, or red, like the rest of the army, but i made them purple.. i was thinking that those gems will most likely be magically enchanted to aid the bolt thrower. that's why i use different colours of gems for different porposes.

( in my army, my archery gets green or purple gems, armour gets blue, weapons and such get red, and sometimes special(magical) items get a colour i just think is appropriate for the model:p)

·
Lord Admiral
2,608 Posts
I think that generally jewels need to be a cool colour if on a warm background (green, blue, gray on a red yellow etc background) else purple, red, orange etc on a cooler background - same goes for settings, I find that warm colours look nice on a silver backing as it contrasts better, although gold can be used with both e.g. the Eavy metal Tyrion model..

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm working on a pic, and mostly going over it since someone actually wants to see it, heh.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I'm sorry for the bad picture quality- I'm working with an outdated, water-damaged webcam that doesn't really work too well at close ups. I might manage to pick up a decent digital camera this Christmas, but I doubt it.

My army is from Caledor, so it uses a slightly more ancient take on the standard white/blue scheme. I run a cream and dark aqua, the aqua done over a black base and the cream done over a dark brown. I painted the wood in the lighter color and did the metal in the darker color- all matte. Gems were picked out in a bright green (snot green?)

I agree with Kithre- jewels need to be on the opposite end of the scale from their surroundings. You could do warm-on-cool, or your could do light-on-dark, like my green gems on their darker background. Using a highly limited palette can really make your army effective. Besides- I save my reds and fiery colors for my mage's hair, lol.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.