Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As well as playing 40k i also do a bit of airbrushing. Starting out really, but the last few peices have turned out far better than I thought they would. Now a friend wants to paint 3 Stompas for him for money. I don't want to rip him off but it's alot of time and effort that goes into doing it right. I was thinking of 20 dollars per model plus 5 dollars per hour. Does that sound bad? Each Stompa will probably take close to 8 hours to get to a point that i would be happy with returning it to him, which brings the cost to 60 dollars each or 180 for all three. I'd appreciate any good advice on this one.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Having not seen your work, I would have to say I cannot assess how much I believe your skills are worth.

That is really what it boils down to.. How much does one person VALUE your skill and talent? As for the price per hour, I would forgo that as there is no accurate representation of the time it takes you to paint something.. You assume 8 hours, which could be a fair assessment for someone who is either really quick, someone that takes extra long, or someone who is in the middle.

Basically, we as painters paint when we are motivated, and sometimes we will sit there trying to paint, only to find ourselves stuck in a rut, but it is still part of the process on that mini at that time.. Do we charge our client because we can't bring our inspiration to brush in it's full potential?

I would ask that he provide the paints, and any bits and basing materials that he wants. You keep the left overs, and then you charge him a respectable flat rate based on your skills. But $60 each does not sound bad.. if your skills are up to par.

·
Egg Head Miniatures:fbook
1,900 Posts
As a professional artist (portrait painter and mini's) I've found over the years that it's best to quote for the whole job in one price. With practice you start to get it right based on your talents and the time you need to do the work. Don't charge by the hour.

Work out what you think is a good price as MarxusTharin suggested and see what your friend thinks.

Good luck with the work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts