Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am painting a lizardmen army, and was looking for some help.

My color scheme so far is yellow and green. Like the skinks are green skin and yellow scales where as the saurus are yellow skin with green scales and probably blue shields.

I have a few questions:
1. What colors do you think would go in the weapons? (I was thinking black and bronze kinda)
2. How about the cold ones or salamanders, what colors do you think would go good with this scheme?

(If you havent noticed I kinda am making them look like the oregon ducks, in a way. And no I am not from oregon I go to WSU, but I thought this was way cooler scheme. I feel smart after that sentence)

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
I would go with either bronze or a 'stoney' look for the weapons. As for the cold ones and whatnot, why not go for a different shade of your main colours - it will still visually unify the force without making them all look the same.
Lastly, who or what are the oregon ducks? I take it they are some kind of university sporting team? Maybe you could post a reference for those of us who aren't american (as a lot of people on this sight aren't) so we know what you are trying to achieve?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

thanks for the help. and i am sorry about the oregon ducks thing, that doesnt really matter so much. they are a college team and they wear yellow, green, along with black and white too but yeah.

the only problem with making them just different colors is it doesnt seem like that would work so well. I go from like dark angels green to scorpion green. and the yellow goes from like a brown to sunburst. So i dont know what like make them darker? that seems weird for some reason.

a big question i have since I am not artistically talented and havent painted in a while I dont know what colors to use

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
What I mean by different shades is, for example have your skinks say a sunburst yellow working off a golden yellow base colour, but for your salamanders maybe go for a bubonic brown base and lightly work it up to a darker yellow. Hope that makes sense.

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
Steer away from bronze, unless you make it dark/ pale enough it will harmonise with the rest of the scheme and look rather horrible. Varying your scheme will probably look better than throwing in random colours here and there. As soon as I read blue shields I got a shiver down my spine; I'ld think long and hard about that before I even looked at any paints.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmm

really? Alright, I did want some harmony because honestly it stands out more than I wanted it to, but I think it looks good. I am not sure on the shields yet. Once I finally finish a saurus (i go back and forth and am working on the skinks now cause they are easier cause i am just doing skin right now)

If blue shields is a bad idea what other color would work do you think?

even though i dont have pictures i would like to tell you the yellow and green are kinda bright, just saying so you have more info. (the only camera I have with me is my cell phone so i am going to wait till I go home or soemthing)

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
For the shields; somthing subdued, a brown maybe? Or somthing contrasting like a red or even purple but stay away from orange and blue.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Depending on what shade of blue it is it could work. Or maybe something like a turquoise or jade green could work well. The orange could also work provided it was muted somewhat and not just a bright orange.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm those sound like good ideas, and i know these are just things i could do because honestly I could paint them all pink and give up. but the blue should look good i think, hopefully

·
Registered
48 Posts
well just a thought here have you every thought of using the lizardmen interactive army painter? You can find it here. Hope it helps! But to tell you the truth and not be a real wanker or anything, I think your colour scheme is ugly :(

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ha, thats fine. (i guess from the wanker adjective you are from GB, a lot of people actually think the oregon ducks uniforms are ugly, lol, but i dont) and i dont really take anything personal anymore so its all good to me

well just to help i guess.

Here is a picture of a sample model (this one is about a year and a half old therefore the highlights and wash and everything is $hitty (also the shield shoudlnt have the red, it is ugly)

and looking at it if I had a camera I should take a picture of my WAY WAY WAY better looking new guys, this guy is bad compared to them i think

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
hmm those sound like good ideas, and i know these are just things i could do because honestly I could paint them all pink and give up. but the blue should look good i think, hopefully
What's wrong with pink? I love painting pink and it looks mighty fine.

ha, thats fine. (i guess from the wanker adjective you are from GB, a lot of people actually think the oregon ducks uniforms are ugly, lol, but i dont) and i dont really take anything personal anymore so its all good to me

well just to help i guess.

Here is a picture of a sample model (this one is about a year and a half old therefore the highlights and wash and everything is $hitty (also the shield shoudlnt have the red, it is ugly)

and looking at it if I had a camera I should take a picture of my WAY WAY WAY better looking new guys, this guy is bad compared to them i think
The shield should be more purple in my books, especially if you take away the red.
As I said the bronze looks too harmonious, a wash should fix that though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
well thats not as bad as I thought it would be, you're right you do have to get rid of that red outline, can you post one of your newer lizardmen?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well seeing as how I am not done with my new lizardmen I can but they arent done, cause I get bored and go to other lizardmen lol.

but maybe tonight i can get someone with a camera to take a picture and send it to me.

and the shield i was also being told i could also just make it darker, like keep the darkness it is but make it like purple "washes" essentially.

so what do you mean by too harmonous? like it blends in too much or something? I am confused:?

andnothing is wrong with pink just all pink lizards would be weird (cause i wouldnt do anything but make them pink, lol i know of a tomb kings army this reminds me of, wow thats bad)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Here are a couple pictures of my saurus.
Looking to resize them but for now I will add them all here, warning they are big.

But what comments/suggestions do you have? I am mostly looking for like what should the stuff on the shield and the weapons be? I am not sure what I should do cause adding more colors would be like WOW. and probably not too good an idea. Another question what colors or shades or anything do you think I should paint all those other models? (salamanders, skinds, stegadon, kroxigor, terradons) thanks for all your help

·
Undersecretary of Decay
184 Posts
Ok, the problem here is all the primary colors! I really do like the yellow/green scheme. Personally I would ink the yellow with a watered-down brown, but I still think it looks good. Please get rid of any trace of blue or red. The solution to your problem is earth tones (shades of brown would be best). Just paint the sheilds in a leathery looking color (light brown) and paint the weapons in a dark wood color, making the business ends of said weapons metallic (bronze or boltgun) with a brown wash. Your lizardmen will still look great, and I won't have the extrordinary urge to snap thier shields off on the battlefield!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
o damn, thats a great idea. I even have a bunch of light brown type stuff that will work I was going to use on my IG that I dont know if I doing anymore. Hmm, this seems to give me a second wind at painting and all of that :party::party2:

thanks.

Any Ideas on what other guys should be painted? Cause everything green and yellow doesn't seem like I would like that as much I was hoping for a little variety (I meen look at lizards they have variety in RL)

That seriously sounds dang cool for some reason, I liked the look of the blue but all together it didn't work too well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts