Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm about to embark on painting up some Eldar Fire Dragons and I'm considering painting the bodies up in a metallic red to give them the same look Iron Man had in the films and was wondering how to go about this. I've never seen a straight Metallic Red Paint available to buy so I was considering using extensive washes over a silver or gold base. Anyone out there have any tips?

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Moved to painting forum.

There are a few ways to do this.

Adding color to standard metallics is one way to do it. I wouldn't try to do it with washes. Add red paint or ink directly to the metallics on your palette for best results. Try different "bright" metallics like Mithril Silver or Burnished Gold.

What might get you better results, however, is a metallic medium. I don't know if you know this, but metallic paint is nothing more than regular paint with flecks of shredded aluminum (or something) in it, like glitter. Metallic mediums are essentially metallic paints with no color in them. They are made for coloring with whatever you like. Vallejo makes one, but I'm sure other manufacturers make them, too. I think if you're gonna do a whole army like this, you should get the medium. It's made for exactly what you want to do here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, I'll give that a look. I did happen to find that Vallejo also does a metallic red called Turn Signal Red in their Air range so I've ordered one in as well to see if that suits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts