Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I finished painting my Crimson Tears and decided to take them to a gaming shop to play a bit. When I got there, I was appalled to find that my army was the only one with any significant amount of paint. I think that painting the armies and fielding a good-looking army is one of the joys of 40K. I mean, when your just passing by a table doesn't a fully painted army just grab your attention? Part of the reason I got into 40K in the first place was because of awesome painted models I saw. Now I'm no master painter, but I do put effort into painting up my models so they at least look decent. The real point I'm trying to get to is, does playing against unpainted models just bother anyone else? I know it bugs the crap outta me!

·
Registered
116 Posts
i just started a new space wolves army and most of its unpainted, but i would like it to be painted, so i make myself paint 1 to 2 models a day, yea anyways i know what you mean playing unpainted models is not fun, but i shouldnt be talking. well im gonna go paint

oh yea if the person you are playing has absulutley no painted models it deffineltly sucks the fun from the game!

·
Registered
340 Posts
My chaos army was like 50% unpainted, and there were a couple models that weren't even put together (ie, dreadnought, and autocannon guys). But my Tau army is getting the royal treatment, painting wise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had my Crimson Tears for almost a year now (although they stayed tiny for a long time). They were half finished until a few weeks ago, but at least they had some paint on them. Finally finished my Guard as well, and they look even better than my Marines. I'm in the process of painting my new Sisters now..

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
Personally, I never field a mini that isn't painted.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Ofcourse the game look even more interesting and spectacular when every model on the table looks like a masterpiece...
But bear in mind that it does take some time to paint them to that prize winning stage...
Most people I know who play 40k just buy the models and start playing with them, of course it looks like playing against a lump of metal or plastic, but they do play...
If everyone was completely rigid on the painting, then there would be a whole lot less people playing 40k.
When I buy models, I build them and start using them straight away... and then as the weeks and days pass buy I paint them one by one until their all finished, even though maybe 2 of 5 models are a bit painted I still use them in games...
But when it comes to tournements, then I hand pick every model that I see fit for the occasion...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I personally will never field a mini unless it's fully painted and based. I get my rank and file up to a decent level but paint all characters like I'm entering them into Golden Daemon. I think when I play people they appreciate the effort I've gone to to get my Minis up to par, and if some one has put a decent amount of effort in ( not how good their minis look but how much they've tried ) I'll always congratulate them on painting their army and heap praise onto them ( unless they're a complete dick )

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's what I do. Paint all my basic guys good enough to be seen on a table and give special treatment to my characters. I spent as much time on my new Dark Angels commander as I did on the rest of the 1000 pt army! Personally I think that the commanders should get special attention. I mean, when you play someone who is the first mini everyone always picks up and looks at. In all my experience it's been the commander. I know that I love seeing someone else's fully painted models, especially if our commanders manage to get into HtH!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I couldn't agree more, it's the mini that leads your army hence they should get the best paint job. At the moment my Commander ( until I upgrade to a DP ) is based on the Abaddon Mini with it's arms facing outwards ( dynamic LOL ) the arms are from the standard chaos terminators, good base and a fricken huge banner. Beleive me this guy sticks out from the rest of my army.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a sorceror Lieutenant and a DP, but I haven't painted them yet. when i do i'll make sure i do a good job, cuz they are THE most important pieces in my entire army, IMO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't really go for the banners, the only person in my army with a flag is the Standard Bearer in my command squad. I did a good bit of converting with my commanders. I have five (one for me and one for each of my friends that plays my army!) and three of them have had serious work done on them. My personal commander is an Emperor's Champ model. It doesn't have that much done to it, but it has a blade on the left gauntlet that says "Be Saved" on it and a Imperial Eagle on top of the backpack; I also positioned his arm so it's pointing the sword. My girlfriends model is a Sisters of Battle Canoness with a chainsword (until I can get a powersword for her) and a jumpack. Until I started really working on my other commanders she was hands down the best. Finally, my best friend's model is a Terminator Captain with a scythe and a blade attached to the bottom of his Storm Bolter. We made the scythe out of a Hunter-Killer missile and one of the dozer blades from the Leman Russ tank kit. All in all they look really sweet and stand out easily from the rest of my army. And that's not even mentioning my Guard army! I still need to get around to fixing up my other two commander models, but I'm in the middle of converting part of my Space Marine army into Dark Angels and that's keeping me pretty busy right now. Also, my friend Buddy is starting his own army of Blood Angels and wants me to help him paint until he gets the hang of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.